Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon Z6 & Z7 Major Firmware Update Coming

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon Z6 & Z7 Major Firmware Update Coming

If my memories serve me right then this upcoming FW update for the Z6 and Z7 is a real FIRST of it's kind for Nikon - it adds a number of key features like

1) Eye AF
    2) ProRes RAW with external Atoms Ninja 5
    3) CFexpress support

https://www.dpreview.com/news/701168...rt-to-z-series

This shows that Nikon takes their future with mirrorless cameras really serious, significantly adding to AF capabilities, offering top notch video features (this is really PRO) and support for the fastest media available over the next years.

Add to that their new 4/14-30 and their future is looking really bright
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nikon Z6 & Z7 Major Firmware Update Coming

Somehow continuous improvement seems linked to mirrorless
    My Gallery
    Instagram
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Vivek

If you donít like that, there is Sony. No worries of regular FW updates!

Quote Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
    Somehow continuous improvement seems linked to mirrorless

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Yes, the Sony FW updates are less frequent, only on current/latest models and a mixed blessing when they happen.

I still remember from years ago some AF improvements for my A700 and A850 that really helped (as well as the adjustable noise reduction on the A700)

Then introducing the "star-eater" in several A7"x" FW updates was stupid, but introducing the lossless RAW in their (then) current A7"x" models was appreciated, but left people with older models out in the cold.

Back to the OP, I like the things NIKON is announcing to upgrade their current Z6/7 offerings with FW updates but I wonder how long it takes to see these in the field because they didn't announce the new FW, they announced the development of some options that would be implemented with a future FW update. On the other hand the development is probably far enough advanced that they are sure they can deliver the goods in the not too distant future, otherwise the risk of a snag in the development of these features would cost them a lot of goodwill.

Vivek

Thanks for expounding on Sony issues, Pieter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Not to speak of regular HW updates
    My Gallery
    Instagram
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

New info about the planned firmware updates was made available by Nikon (https://imaging.nikon.com/library/ne...news190214.htm):

Coming in May:

1. Support for Eye-Detection AF for still image shooting (scheduled for release in May 2019)
    Eye-Detection AF is convenient for portrait photography. The Eye-Detection AF in development will work not only with the AF-S (Single AF) focus mode that is convenient when photographing still human subjects, but also with the AF-C (Continuous AF) focus mode, which is effective when photographing human subjects that frequently adjust or change their pose. What's more, the function is capable of detecting multiple eyes, from which the user can select the eye upon which the camera should focus, allowing the photographer greater flexibility when photographing multiple people to suit their intent.

2. Increased AF/AE performance (scheduled for release in May 2019)
    AE (auto exposure) tracking will be newly possible in continuous high-speed (extended) mode, in addition to the AF tracking that existed previously. In addition, low-light AF performance will be improved, enabling faster autofocusing in dark or dimly lit surroundings with both still-image shooting and movie recording.

Coming at a later date:

3. Support for RAW video output
    Output of 4K UHD and Full HD RAW data stream from the camera will be supported. The output RAW data stream can then be recorded in the compatible RAW format using an external recorder. This will allow users to utilize rich 12-bit colors to achieve flexible color grading.
    Release timing for this feature will be announced at a later date.

4. Support for CFexpress memory cards
    The new firmware will provide support for CFexpress, a new standard for memory cards. Having passed durability tests in which they were inserted and removed from a camera 12,000 times, these memory cards offer users a greater sense of security. They also offer high-speed performance that will provide users with a more efficient workflow. After upgrading, users will be able to use both CFexpress as well as XQD cards in their camera interchangeably. In addition to the Z 7 and Z 6, in the future, CFexpress memory card support will be added to the Nikon D5 (XQD-Type), Nikon D850, and Nikon D500 digital SLR cameras as well.
    Release timing for this feature will be announced at a later date.

I am wondering if update 2 will include some additional "unofficial" AF improvements...
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Feature prioritisation suits me well

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Now, if it could also detect both eyes and adjust focal distance and aperture to keep them both in critical focus, it would be a killer feature!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still amazes me Nikon canít spend time in pixel shift for these cameras. Similar to Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Pentax.

They have one of the best IBIS designs can should be able to implement such a setup.

Results could be most impressive.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Still amazes me Nikon canít spend time in pixel shift for these cameras. Similar to Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Pentax.

They have one of the best IBIS designs can should be able to implement such a setup.

Results could be most impressive.

Paul C
    Maybe they do.

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you pick which eye, or will it simply pick the closest?

I'd love to see an auto-DoF mode where I can designate several arbitrary AF points, and the camera stops down enough for them all to be in critical focus. If they did that they could auto-place AF points over all eyes and make sure they're all within the DoF. This means they no longer focus on any given point, in fact wide open nothing at all may be in focus! Basically, give us the DoF scale back (those were actually useful), except with a higher standard of what constitutes critical focus - and in real time (no twiddling with scales and aperture marks on a tripod - full AF-C support).