The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The impressive dynamic range of the Nikon D810

jdphoto

I know most of these threads are about the latest in digital tech, but wanted to include a few pics showing the amazing dynamic range of the 2014 Nikon D810. These were taken with a newly acquired $250 Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 ED, hence, the reason for the experiment. I wanted to make sure the elements were good. I know this the epitome of a non scientific experiment, but here it is nonetheless...These were taken hand held @ ISO 64, 1/60th @f/4.5. The exposure slider was at (0) when imported to LR 6.14 and shows the crushed and washed blacks, but when pushed to +5.00 the image shows the impressive dynamic range with more than enough to spare. Many cameras have capable sensors, but I've noticed that the Nikon files can really be pushed! So, if shooting with a Nikon FF and you want to preserve highlights, I don't suggest you shoot 5 stops of underexposure, but it's nice to know at base ISO you could.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Good experiment. Most of us that have been shooting the D810 are aware of this. You also may be surprised at how well you can pull back certain highlights. It truly is a great sensor.

JoelM

Fantastic sensor, but that's not what I think of as being dynamic range. I think that the processor and sensor allow you to change things like ISO and exposure and give you a new value. Lot's of math going on.

Joel

pegelli

Fantastic sensor, but that's not what I think of as being dynamic range. I think that the processor and sensor allow you to change things like ISO and exposure and give you a new value. Lot's of math going on.

Joel
Indeed a good result, but the final result will probably not be a lot different from the same shot taken at iso 2000 (and the other settings the same)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's certainly related to overall dynamic range of the sensor. In short, if it didn't capture a scale of dark hues to begin with, it could not "math" them into new, distinct colors. More: In almost every D810 raw file I convert, I have to "add black" to get it looking it's best. Adding black is essentially adjusting the output curve to contract DR --at least on the bottom end-- from what it actually captured. Frequently I'm "adding" some white too, just to get the cuffs matching the collar so to speak.

V

Vivek

I have been advised by a programme developer to keep the ISO below 1600 and boost it in the post to get better results.

There are newer cameras (possibly the D850) that have dual processing to do well at higher ISOs as well.

Indeed a good result, but the final result will probably not be a lot different from the same shot taken at iso 2000 (and the other settings the same)

pegelli

Same test, Sony A7ii, iso 100, f2.8, 1/10 sec, 85 mm
Same vintage sensor (2014) but only 24 MP, isn't the D810 a Sony sensor as well, or do I have that wrong?

Imported at default settings in LR 6.14:

Same image, only change + 5.0 EV. No changes to saturation/vibrance or other sliders etc. Plenty of colour I think :)

Photon42

I bought a low mileage 2nd hand d810 at a good price one year back to bridge the gap until Nikon releases the Z. First, I wanted to sell it after the Z7 arrived, but then I cannot bring myself to do this (decided to sell my CL system). Somehow I like this camera still very much.