The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The 24-70/2.8 Release

drunkenspyder

I am sure everyone has received the announcement. And if this is a dupe thread on my part, my apologies, and admin, feel free to delete.

I am traveling right now with a kit that consists of a Phase One XF & 40-80 zoom, a Cambo 1600, and the Z7 w/ 24-70 & 35mm lenses, plus a Wine Country 150mm system. All in a roll-aboard or backpack. Not bad. The 24-70 is a superb travel lens, meeting this traveling landscape photographer's request for compactness and lighter weight. Still . . . the 2.8 beckons. And, though I haven't seen any published size and weight specs, just compared to its predecessor, it appears smaller. So, I pushed that crack addict pre-order button at B+H.

JohnBrew

This is encouraging, especially for the upcoming 70-200 2.8.
Paul, the 24-70 f4 I used was plenty sharp, but vignetted through f11. When I went to lens correction in ACR there was a note saying this lens was automatically corrected. I was able to eliminate the vignette with the vignette reduction slider, but it did make me wonder what kind of automatic correction was going on in ACR.

Last edited:

Paul2660

Hi John

Yes good point on the vignetting. LR currently does not seem to get a good fix on it. C1 does a good job.

Paul C

Darin Marcus

This is encouraging, especially for the upcoming 70-200 2.8.
Paul, the 24-70 f4 I used was plenty sharp, but vignetted through f11. When I went to lens correction in ACR there was a note saying this lens was automatically corrected. I was able to eliminate the vignette with the vignette reduction, but it did make me wonder what kind of automatic correction was going on in ACR.
Nikon's Capture NX-D and Adobe's products force the automated distortion correction on users. I've read that other software (for example C1) does not.

The recently published PhotographyLife review analyzes the distortion situation - see point 11 at https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-z-24-70mm-f4-s/3.
It appears that the automated distortion correction also crops the photo...

drunkenspyder

Agreed on C1. Z7 images look very good in C1. And I agree with others here that the 24-70 kit lens is quite good. I don’t think I need the 2.8, but there is no question the 2.8 would afford some greater imaging flexibility than the kit lens. And as Joe notes, there is no doubt it is smaller and lighter than its predecessor. My primary question is how much size/weight penalty does it exact in comparison to the kit lens.
Hi John

Yes good point on the vignetting. LR currently does not seem to get a good fix on it. C1 does a good job.

Paul C

drunkenspyder

I just saw that B+H updated the Specs for the 2.8 with size and weight info. Here are the specs for the kit and the 2.8 lenses:

2.8 Lens:
Fitter Thread: 82 mm
Dimensions (DxL)3.50 x 4.96" / 89 x 126 mm
Weight1.77 lb / 805 g

Kit Lens:
Filter Thread: 72 mm
Dimensions (DxL)3.05 x 3.48" / 77.5 x 88.5 mm
Weight1.10 lb / 500 g

The differences are not trivial, but they may be more than acceptable for many. If someone else already posted this, my apologies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
$2,300, more or less the same as the Sony, but 10% lighter and a centimeter shorter. Weight with camera is around 1.4 kg then, 50% heavier than a Panasonic G9 with the 12-35mm f/2.8 and more or less 50% more expensive too with the Z6. Lens is much larger of course, but not the camera body. The reward is two more stops of light, more or less.

It's actually tempting to buy this combo instead of upgrading the Panasonic body and lens, keeping the m4/3 gear I have for telephoto, macro etc., at least for now.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
$2,300, more or less the same as the Sony, but 10% lighter and a centimeter shorter. Weight with camera is around 1.4 kg then, 50% heavier than a Panasonic G9 with the 12-35mm f/2.8 and more or less 50% more expensive too with the Z6. Lens is much larger of course, but not the camera body. The reward is two more stops of light, more or less.

It's actually tempting to buy this combo instead of upgrading the Panasonic body and lens, keeping the m4/3 gear I have for telephoto, macro etc., at least for now.
Sure this would be a great combo! And I am not sure if it really pays off to keep the m43 gear - also telephoto will get smaller in FF with these new mounts :thumbup:

I am almost certain I will go FF - especially now that I decided to not get the EM1X and more m43 gear.

SrMphoto

Hi John

Paul C
C1 does not recognize the built-in profiles of Z cameras, does it? How do you correct vignetting in C1? Do you have your own preset? How do you handle distortion of 24-70 f/4 in C1? Thanks.

Capture NX-D handles vignetting much better than LR, but the latest LR does a decent job as well, IMO.