The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z7 and Atmos Pro Res Raw

jdphoto

Can the Atmos be used to record still RAW images as a way to mitigate the one card slot of the Nikon Z7? I don't often shoot video, so this would be specifically for stills only.

iiiNelson

Can the Atmos be used to record still RAW images as a way to mitigate the one card slot of the Nikon Z7? I don't often shoot video, so this would be specifically for stills only.
The ProRES RAW firmware update isn't supposed to be released until Q3/Q4 2019. If you have an Atomos now then perhaps you can try it out but I wouldn't bet on it.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The ProRES RAW firmware update isn't supposed to be released until Q3/Q4 2019. If you have an Atomos now then perhaps you can try it out but I wouldn't bet on it.
Its a video spec.

If you are happy with 3840x2160 should be great ...

Time to get over the one card slot .... only failure I have had in 16 years was from a CF bent pin on the reader.

Life is short ... worry about something that might affect you.

And the raws from my Z 7 are stunning ... as is the 10 bit Log from my external VD PIX-5E in ProRes HQ ... no artifacts ... great color ... no reason for me to change to PR Raw ... if you can expose, get WB in the park ... raw will not add much to your video ... and short answer is it is not an answer for stills.

Here is a thought ... about upgrades.

https://davidduchemin.com/2019/01/10-upgrades-for-2019/

Rarely will the camera change your vision or your visual success.

Regards

Bob

jdphoto

Great link!
Yeah, I guess video grabs are it. For my paying clients, I like to mitigate my risk as much as possible with two cards.

docmoore

I get it ... perhaps multiple exposures with 2 cards in one slot ... if they are paying they will suffer the short delay of the card change and appreciate
your attention to detail.

Bob

jdphoto

That's an idea, but not very convenient. I might be doing a portrait of a very high profile politician running for US President. They'll give me a very small window in which to work in because of scheduling. I can't imagine shooting two cards to one slot, so instead I bought the D850 to minimize the risk. As mentioned, I really like the Z's and am confident they will update the camera with two slots, but until then, my hope is that the D850 will be a great tool for these clients.

docmoore

Only advantage of the Z in that situation would be noise...

The 850 should for now have better AF build quality and G ravitas
due to its size. Probably a bit better sorted with flash and strobes
presently.

In camera card failure is only one of the ways to lose ... one could
make a case for three slots.:ROTFL:

My earliest mentor was a photographer who did political campaigns and
theater in the 70's with a couple Leicaflex and a couple M cameras. The
D850 should work great for you.

Bob