The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon AIS/AI Vs Zeiss/CV MF lenses

Lars

Simon, I think you should give a switch to D700 even more consideration. Obviously it won't stretch the IQ of FF lenses as much as a D300, since you will be looking at fullframe lenses anyway. DX strong sides are in modern zooms especially lower cost zooms from Tamron and Sigma (and clearly that's not what you are looking for) and long teles.

Investing substantial amounts in high quality primes with the "wrong" focal length seems like a bit of a short-term investment, as there is a considerable probability that you will end up shooting fullframe eventually. Sell one of your D300's now before a replacement is announced.

simonclivehughes

Lars,

I am indeed considering a change to the D700. I need to be careful as this is a hobby for me and thus funds are always limited. Most of my walk-around photography is now done with a pair of G1s and various small sensor cams (LX3, DP1) so I am trying to keep the Nikon equipment as my high end system. To this end, the D700 makes even more sense so I'm weighing the options. Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers,

simonclivehughes

Just an update to this thread. I just sold my D300 bodies and picked up the D700. Now I'm selling my zooms and hope to pick up the following glass:

CV 20mm f3.5
Zeiss 28mm f2
Zeiss 35mm f2
Zeiss 100mm f2

I'm keeping my nifty-fifty (f1.8) and the 300mm f4 and the 1.4X TC.

This should give me a nice prime setup which I can also use on my G1 and more importantly, on my GH1 for video work with great DOF.

Does anyone know if you can use the Nikon 1.4 with the Zeiss 100mm lens?

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Cheers,

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hello Simon,
D300 to D700 is a significant move -for the better.
if i may, it's possible the best setup for D700 would be CZ21/35/50:2M/100
IMHO 21 clearly superior to 28 except if you absolutely need the one extra stop. Offers more of an alternative to the 35, too. 50M is a killer. Maybe not weel known because of the price difference with the 50mmm 1.4. Totally different animal, though. 35 & 100 are already on your list -great primes.

CV20 is cheaper than the Zeiss but offer a lot less especially FF. Great with DX, but lateral definition is so-so with FF.

Re the CZ 100mm it worked with the 1.7 when i tried. No critical test though.
And of course you have to setup the non-CPU parameters in the body menu.

My couple of cents ;)

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

Corlan,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd love the ZF 21 but it's 4 x the cost of the CV and I wouldn't necessarily use it that much, hence the cheaper CV. OTOH, if I get it instead of the [CV20 and the ZF 28] then it's pretty much a wash price wise. I may consider that... thanks!

I'm not really a 50mm shooter, so rather than buy the ZF or CV, I'll just keep the Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens.

Appreciate the comments on the TC too. I'd much rather use it then carry another lens.

Cheers,

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Corlan,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd love the ZF 21 but it's 4 x the cost of the CV and I wouldn't necessarily use it that much, hence the cheaper CV. OTOH, if I get it instead of the [CV20 and the ZF 28] then it's pretty much a wash price wise. I may consider that... thanks!

I'm not really a 50mm shooter, so rather than buy the ZF or CV, I'll just keep the Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens.

Appreciate the comments on the TC too. I'd much rather use it then carry another lens.

Cheers,
I hate pushing people to spend extra dough... but you won't regret the 21 investment, especially in the '20+28' swap you describe from the original list. And if ever you regret it, it's an easy one to resell at a decent price. Btw CZ had interesting offers on their top primes (21-50-100) lately.

Re the TC, please don't take my word for it and check it out thoroughly. It was amongst many tests, no quality control and it was the 1.7 not the 1.4.

Maybe check with some Zeiss representatives first.

Anyways, now that we talk about it, be aware that the manual focus is not the easiest on the 100 especially if you stop down a little. Can be much worse with 1.4, even at FA. I kinda remember (not 100% sure) that was the reason i quickly dismissed the 1.7+CZ at the time.

On a general basis Nikon TCs are really designed to work with their Nikon lenses counterparts. Other results may -heavily- vary.

Good luck and please keep us posted your first pictures with D700 and CZ lenses. Great combination, might need a little time to get the best out of it.

Don't hesitate whether any hints would be helpful. :)

simonclivehughes

Corlan,

Again, thanks for the comments.

One question I have for you and other D700 users is do you shoot 12-bit or 14-bit? Or, do you use both depending on the circumstance?

Cheers,

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
CV20 is cheaper than the Zeiss but offer a lot less especially FF. Great with DX, but lateral definition is so-so with FF.

Corlan,

I'm wondering where this info came from? So far I've been unable to see any real reviews of the CV 20.

Cheers,
I can't speak for Corlan but what he's written is essentially the executive summary of Lloyd Chambers' review of the CV 20/3.5.

I realize that you already, as do I, subscribe to Sean Reid's reviews. I have a range of A-IS, Zeiss ZF, and CV SL and SL II lenses, which I use on both D300 and D700 bodies. Given your interest in Zeiss/CV MF lenses, I'd strongly recommend that you also subscribe to Lloyd's DAP (diglloyd's Advanced Photography) and Guide to Zeiss ZF/ZE Lenses. Lloyd and Sean address the same issues from quite different viewpoints, both of which I regard as indispensable for anyone interested in these lenses. The money you would spend on subscriptions to Lloyd's reviews is trivial compared to what you are clearly willing to invest in these excellent MF lenses.

robmac

Having owned a number of ZF, CV SL and SLII, AiS and Leica (which can be converted to Nikon now) glass - I WHOLEHEARTEDLY 2nd Jonathon's recommendation. The $$ spent could save you (or cost you) a load of coin.

I subscribe to both. I like LLoyd's frank opinions and helped him find his 90AA, etc - but I don't always agree with him (I found many of the ZF glass lacking vs CV or Leica). That said he does real world tests that are presented very well, speaks his mind and will change it if need be rather than stick to a story.

Sean's reviews are also great and the side-by-side tests of lenses are very helpful. They also lead to some surprising results - many a time I've looked at one of his tests and found my fave rendering to be from one of the cheaper lenses.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Corlan,

I'm wondering where this info came from? So far I've been unable to see any real reviews of the CV 20.

Cheers,
Hi Simon,
more of an opinion based on a sum of users feedback and results -including mine- than on reviews. Did not realize that it was close to LC's conclusions as stated by Jonathon above, nonetheless these are great reviews. Only culprit being he likes all of the CZ ZF so much that he makes you wanting to own each one of them. :)