The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z7 .. Z6 .. Z7 ..z6 ?

KeithL

Jeez, how on earth did we manage for all those years before tracking came along and let the camera do it for us?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've said it before, several times, but I can say it again:
I don't understand why people use cameras with electronic viwfinders for action shots. With modern technology, it's of course possible to make the EVF nearly as good as the OVF for this purpose, and nearly as fast... nearly... if it's not sleeping or if some automatic functionality hasn't switched to the LCD on the back of the camera.

Optical viewfinders are always on and they respond literally at the speed of light. They also convey one hundred percent, that's 100% for the mathematicians among you, natural colours.

Replacing an OVF with and EVF is like watching the weather on TV instead of looking out through the window or walk down to the beach to watch the waves. TVs are becoming better too, but the day they replace reality, we've lost something.

Note to self: Better stock up on DSLR bodies before it's too late :shocked:

dave.gt

I don't understand why people use cameras with electronic viwfinders for action shots. With modern technology, it's of course possible to make the EVF nearly as good as the OVF for this purpose, and nearly as fast... nearly... if it's not sleeping or if some automatic functionality hasn't switched to the LCD on the back of the camera.

Optical viewfinders are always on and they respond literally at the speed of light. They also convey one hundred percent, that's 100% for the mathematicians among you, natural colours.

Replacing an OVF with and EVF is like watching the weather on TV instead of looking out through the window or walk down to the beach to watch the waves. TVs are becoming better too, but the day they replace reality, we've lost something.

Note to self: Better stock up on DSLR bodies before it's too late :shocked:
Hah! Jorgen, that is a most delightful way to put it... like watching the weather on television... that is definitely a good metaphor!:thumbup:

I think maybe too many weather forecasters never go outdoors and look up. :ROTFL:

In 50 years, my grandkids will be shaking their heads when their robots go on strike, and wonder how they ever got to that point in life when one can't even trust their electronic companions. Ah, well, to each their own. If I had the money, I would much prefer a Rolex watch that needs winding and has the time indicated by gorgeous timepiece hands. Drives me crazy having to drag my phone out of my pocket to look at the time, so I need to get a new work watch. No EVF required for that either.:):):)

The Z7/Z6 looks to be a good product for some and while looking exactly like the current competitor offerings, it does appear to be a quality instrument. I wish Nikon well with their bold new direction!:)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I don't understand why people use cameras with electronic viewfinders for action shots.
My purpose was purely evaluation and determining the limits and a reasonable use envelope. If you don't try it, how do you know what the limitations are?

Also, what's "action" for me might could as well be "static" for you.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My purpose was purely evaluation and determining the limits and a reasonable use envelope. If you don't try it, how do you know what the limitations are?

Also, what's "action" for me might could as well be "static" for you.
I wrote partly in jest of course, but after having used mirrorless cameras for ten years, the last 2 or 3 years almost exclusively, it's pretty clear to me that there is no silver bullet. Shooting both will give me the best of both worlds. With Nikon, I'll be able to use both, plus shooting film, using the same lenses. So, I'll make a slow transition back to a mixed system, keeping MFT for when I want to travel very light.

And yes, trying everything out is the only way, a quite enjoyable way as well :)

dave.gt

I wrote partly in jest of course, but after having used mirrorless cameras for ten years, the last 2 or 3 years almost exclusively, it's pretty clear to me that there is no silver bullet. Shooting both will give me the best of both worlds. With Nikon, I'll be able to use both, plus shooting film, using the same lenses. So, I'll make a slow transition back to a mixed system, keeping MFT for when I want to travel very light.

And yes, trying everything out is the only way, a quite enjoyable way as well :)
As a "photographer", the definition of which is no longer certain, what someone uses to "take a picture", the definition of which is just as bad, it doesn't really make any difference what gear is used. But, as an artist, the gear selection and mastery of that gear to accomplish the task at hand, certainly does. Why should or would any artist choose to limit one's ability to express oneself to only one brush, only one format, only one camera, or only one subject? There are many ways to play a song using many different instruments, or even none at all. But I am sure some will stick with one rigid frame of mind, because it is a comfort zone.

On the other hand, Jorgen, I am sure you will agree that over the years, one gains an appreciation of "photography" in the deeper sense of the definition, by not chasing the silver bullet. There is much more to life than that.

Today, I will dedicate another 8 hours of processing digital images on the computer. Bleh...:( With my schedule and responsibilities, it is not easy to find 8 hours without working late at night and arising at 3am even on weekends.

My personal favorite images of all time were made in less than 1/15th of a second and required the simple act of dropping the roll of exposed film off at the drugstore, picking them up the next day and enjoying the prints. It was like a childhood Christmas gift each time we opened the highly-anticipated envelope to see the latest 4x6 prints or Kodachrome slides.

We have all lost something along the way and have become jaded. Instant gratification and landfill fodder have become our returns on investment in our purchases of everything while urban sprawl increases at an alarming rate leading to ... where?

DSLR or Mirrorless. Oil or acrylic. This type of brush or that other ((fill in the blank)? It is great to have choices!

Bring on the latest and greatest Z!:)... post, and print, your images!:thumbup:

My only hope is that more people will look toward a deeper meaning of photography along the way. (Hint: it has only a little to do with gear.:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well said, Dave. I can assure you that if I only took photos for the enjoyment of friends, family and myself, I would be using film for all of my work now, except for the snapshots taken with phones. Easy to say of course, as long as reality forces me to use digital, and we'll see when (if?) I retire if I'll do more film later.

One of the reasons for going back to Nikon for "serious" work is that it saves processing time. The RAW files from Nikon's full frame cameras are extremely easy to deal with, and limit the time I have to spend behind the computer.

I do feel that we lose something every time another skill becomes obsolete. While it seems convenient not having to do this or that, I'm convinced that humans need real challenges to stay alert. And if we don't stay alert, there will be consequences for other aspects of life, aspects that are much more important than photography ever was.

And as for photography, I don't do it because it's easy, I do it because it's difficult. If it becomes to easy, I'll do something else instead.

Paratom

I also prefer OVF (in regards what I see) - however I am tired of all the lens AF inaccurancies which make fine adjustment and service necessary if one wants precise S-AF. Also face detection has helped me to get good chance to have the eyes really sharp when shooting portraits. So I think it is a question in which areas one is ready to accept compromises.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
As a note, the Smallrig L bracket arrived today. It's in every sense as well made and machined as any RRS or Kirk bracket I've owned. Fits in all my assorted heads and clamps. Some really nice features:

- Deep enough that the FTZ adapter can be freely rotated and removed while on a tripod
- The hex key is held in a cutout with three small magnets (but probably wise to still keep one in the bag)
- The vertical part can be removed or adjusted positionally
- Many clamps with an anti-slide peg are perfectly aligned with the hole on an allen bolt to prevent sideways sliding
- The battery compartment is fully accessible even while on a tripod

It's really a very nice piece of gear that will make this a fantastic travel camera!