The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Top three 50mm lenses for D850?

dave.gt

OK, I had a few minutes to shoot some images while I have been preparing for a visit with family members. To my delight, John B. sent a Nikon 50/1.8 my way for a test drive and it arrived today. Thanks so much, John!!!:thumbs:

The weather today was much improved, much warmer and unfortunately with low, flat light and super windy as compared to the past... what ...month?:shocked:

So, I mounted the lens on the D850, shot a few frames quickly with no tripod and I was happy to see both swirly bokeh and blurry OOF areas! Sharpness tests will have to wait a few days due to rain tomorrow and family.

First Tulip of 2019 - Nikon D850 50/1.8:
First Tulip 2 3 9 2019 FINAL.jpg

Cocoon in Red Maple Tree - Nikon D850 50/1.8:
Cocoon 3 9 2019 FINAL.jpg

Testing will resume soon.:thumbup:

Last edited:

DougDolde

This is kind of funny to me because I have no lens between 28mm and 85mm. Don't feel the need for one

Last edited:

dave.gt

This is kind of funny to me because I have no sense between 28mm and 85mm. Don't feel the need for one
Haha! No worries. You see things differently and that is ok.:)

The artist in each of us sees things uniquely and how we choose to express ourselves is entirely up to us. Sometimes, I move out of my comfort zone to experience a little of how others "see" and experience things. It is all good!:thumbs:

JohnBrew

OK, I had a few minutes to shoot some images while I have been preparing for a visit with family members. To my delight, John B. sent a Nikon 50/1.8 my way for a test drive and it arrived today. Thanks so much, John!!!:thumbs:

The weather today was much improved, much warmer and unfortunately with low, flat light and super windy as compared to the past... what ...month?:shocked:

So, I mounted the lens on the D850, shot a few frames quickly with no tripod and I was happy to see both swirly bokeh and blurry OOF areas! Sharpness tests will have to wait a few days due to rain tomorrow and family.

First Tulip of 2019 - Nikon D850 50/1.8:
View attachment 140053

Cocoon in Red Maple Tree - Nikon D850 50/1.8:
View attachment 140054

Testing will resume soon.:thumbup:
Glad it worked out for you, Dave. Your images demonstrate how nice this lens can be. It’s so light it almost makEs the 850 a street shooter :D

dave.gt

Almost another week later, I am encouraged by the consistency of this lens to be used as John mentioned, and a casual hand shooter. So far, I have been shooting in extreme situations wide open. I have not yet stopped down for sharpness, mostly because of the cloudy/rainy weather and time pressures.

I am quite happy with what the lens is giving me as well as the malleability of the D850 files.

But the real tests will include many of the typical situational and various approaches to shooting. I am convinced this lens is very sharp and I look forward to seeing just how sharp. This journey will take a minute.:):):)

Stay tuned!

dave.gt

Lens test #2:
How will the Nikon AF-S 50/1.8G Special Edition lens perform in Skyline shoots?
That was my question yesterday as I met TC in Atlanta. The conditions were not optimal for best artistic results... far from it! We had hoped all week for dramatic cloudy skies.

What we got was mid-afternoon haze; flat,dull light; high clouds with zero definition; wedding party crowds on a vibrating bridge and a cold wind. Perfect for testing!

My thoughts were based on one idea: If an ordinary Nikon normal prime lens can perform well in those conditions, then I think we will have a keeper!:)

Hoping for a long exposure with no cars showing in the photograph, I decided to make a "before the ND filter" frame and then multiple frames "with a 10-stop ND filter".

This is the final processed "Before Filter" image.

Nikon D850 50/1.8 G (f11, 1/250s, ISO 100):
View attachment 140237

IMO... this lens did better than I expected. The D850 with this lens falls short of the H5D-50c with the 80mm/2.8 lens. But then, it is not necessarily the best choice for Landscapes.

Is it sharp? I think so. Certainly sharp enough for general Photography and special work that I normally do. I have yet to adjust the AF... it may make a difference for shooting landscapes, I don't really know.

How did it perform with an ND filter? Stay tuned, I will work on those final images over the next day or so... or maybe not. Looking forward to a different test!:)

In summary: It is lightweight, compact, and a perfectly good choice for everyday carry, travel and close-up work.

The price new is a tiny fraction of the lenses for the Hasselblad and various MF cameras. The $276 price means this lens is an excellent value! :thumbs:

More tests will follow.

Attachments

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Dave

You have discovered a secret ... or not much lauded lens line ... all of the newer Nikon 1.8 lenses are very well designed and
quite sharp ... minimal flaws but don't have much in the way of exotic imaging qualities.

Twice mentioned above was the Zeiss 50 F/2 Makro ... it has very decent distant imaging ... great micro-contrast sharpness color and bokeh ... better than
the older 1.4 ... and is a stellar macro lens for flowers ... like the roses you have for Linda.

It is MF with a longer focus throw but focuses easily due to the contrast and focus falloff.

So you get two lenses from one 50 ... it is a bit more than the Nikon 50 1.8 but may be a bit more versatile for you.

Best,

Bob

JohnBrew

I want to second Doc's recommendation for the Zeiss 50 Makro. I had mentioned it before as one of the three best. I used it for landscape more than macro even though it will focus down to several inches from a subject. I recently sold my copy as I am on a mission to reduce the weight of my kit. But I had it for many years. Attached is a two image stitch made with the Zeiss and a D700 (I'm going to guess 2009 or 2010). The jpeg doesn't do it much justice. This image hangs in my dining room and measures 16" x 33" and is quite sharp.

dave.gt

Very nice, John!:thumbs:

You are absolutely right about the jpg images not being able to show sharpness.

The Zeiss is definitely on my wishlist.! The Sigma Art lens is as well. Sadly, either one will wait until the lottery gods send ne a check.:)

dave.gt

There are only two OTUS lenses, 55mm and 85mm.
Which one(s) have you used?

I have the 85 and am very pleased with it.
I don't have the 55.

- Leigh
Leigh,

I bet the 85 is amazing. I actually prefer a bit longer than 50mm lenses. I have not owned an OTUS, due to costs, of course, and the journey in which we have found ourselves. Just had a brief introduction with the 55 and researched it like crazy. Maybe one of these days!!!:)

dave.gt

Still working on images from the weekend...

Nikon D850 50/1.8 lens:
Dark Tulip FINAL.jpg

Last edited:

dave.gt

Since yesterday, I have been shooting the H5D for comparisons and thought I would share them as well. However... I forgot that I was shooting Ektachrome 220 film and it will be awhile before I send them off to be processed.:ROTFL:

But, still, the 50/1.8 continues to impress.:thumbup:

Click the image 3 times to enlarge.

Atlanta Skyline Pano BW.jpg

dave.gt

Interestingly, today I tried the Nikon 50/1.8 G lens on my old and reliable F80. To my delight I found that it transformed the old film camera into a very fast focusing, very quiet and lightweight picture taking machine. I cannot wait to see the negatives!:)

Then, I tried it on an old D3100 that was given to me years ago after a friend dropped it into some water (somehow it still works:))... It will not autofocus, but the availability of using manual focus without flipping a switch makes focusing very easy and accurate. Again, a sharp, lightweight lens that transforms the feel of an older camera. Images are very sharp!

New tech making old tech better!:thumbs:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm just going to add that if you want clinically sharp, the Sigma Art is going to be hard to beat. This out of a D810, f8:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One more for thread posterity, also D810 w/Sigma Art 50 at f8:

Honestly, just re-seeing these leaves me wondering why on Earth I ever sold that lens :facesmack:

dave.gt

I'm just going to add that if you want clinically sharp, the Sigma Art is going to be hard to beat. This out of a D810, f8:

Thank you for that one! :thumbup:Actually, the Sigma Art lenses are extremely attractive even at the price points at BH photo.

The top three 50mm (or effective size, i.e.:55/58mm) lens choice categories seem to be:

(In no order of preference)

•Zeiss - Otus and Milvus
•Sigma - Art
•Nikon - 1.4G and 1.8G

Have I missed any?:)

dave.gt

One more for thread posterity, also D810 w/Sigma Art 50 at f8:

Honestly, just re-seeing these leaves me wondering why on Earth I ever sold that lens :facesmack:
And I don't blame your thoughts.:) A quality 50mm lens like that is a jewel!!! Of course, a fine photographer like the one who made these images is crucial, too.:thumbup: