The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Irix 150mm f/2.8 Macro

Darin Marcus

I've waited a few years for Cosina to release a new Voigtländer macro lens 90mm or longer in F mount... an updated 90mm SLII S, an updated 125mm SLII, or even an F mount version of the 110mm released for Sony.
Alas, nothing happened, and the deadline I set for myself - CP+ 2019 - passed with no announcement whatsoever.

So I decided to look elsewhere, and the new Irix 150mm macro (manual focus) caught my interest.
The lens arrived yesterday from B&H, and today I was able to try it on my D810. It was a cloudy day here, so I had to bump the ISO more than I wanted. The lens is big but handles fine on a D810-like body. It came with the hood attached in reversed position. It took me a while to figure out how to unscrew it :D

Focusing this lens while handholding is quite challenging due to the very small depth of field at normal distances. I will definitely need more practice with it.
The first tests look quite promising...

Darin Marcus

Two other reviews I read before ordering this lens:

- ePHOTOzine: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/irix-150mm-f-2-8-macro-1-1-dragonfly-review-33078

- Ken Rockwell - contains some very useful info I am glad I knew before using this lens for the first time: https://kenrockwell.com/tech/irix/150mm.htm

Focusing based on the green dot is not very accurate on the D810, so I am trying to use my eyes to decide when to press the shutter. I will try this lens on the Df next, where I have a DK-17M Magnifying Eyepiece that proved helpful with manual focusing the Cosina Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4. Although I don't expect the Irix to balance as well on the Df as it does on the D810...

Darin Marcus

The Df + DK-17M combination worked great with the Irix 150mm f/2.8 Macro!

I was able to focus by looking only at the subject, without even a single glance at the green dot :)

Nikon Df, Irix 150mm f/2.8 Macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 400

This is the first time I dialed f/16 on my Df. To my dismay, I discovered and had to remove 5 dust spots from this image. The sensor needs cleaning...