The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GPS for Nikon?

dave.gt

The D850 manual is a daunting 400 pages so I am still reading through it. On page 221, it references the Nikon GPS attachment for the camera.

A quick check at BH Photo and the ubiquitous "Item Discontinued" or similar notification is displayed.

A quick check searching for a replacement led me down several dead ends.

So, is GPS not a "thing" anymore and sales have not justified the units? Or is there something else out there for the D850?

:facesmack:

dave.gt

Hi Dave, is this the answer? (don't know anything about it though)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oaSbnv50Hs
best
Well, it took awhile to figure that out but I now have the Bluetooth doing what it is supposed to be doing. I am still not sure how to access the coordinates on the MacBook Pro yet. Get Info only shows the Latitude.

But, yes, this seems to be the best (only?) way if I can get used to the workflow.

Stay tuned, more testing follows!:):):)

dave.gt

Dave, if you go the SnapBridge method doesn’t your phone need service since the Bluetooth is pulling it off the phone?

I have been considering this.

Eco ProFessional M

Paul C
Paul,

Apparently, you are correct. The SnapBridge method is not optimal for me: it is cumbersome having to use two devices; phones have spotty service; and the whole process is just too much.:(0

The Eco device seems to have its supporters. Hmm.. how much is it in USD? $150? Probably cheaper than the discontinued Nikon unit. I like that it is a 10 pin plug in rather than having a cord and using the hot shoe like another unit.
Thanks for the heads up!:)

Edit: it seems that Bluetooth transfer does not require service but the WiFi certainly does. There are some who use an old iphone (without service) for Bluetooth. It is easier and less power drain.

But, still, having two devices instead of a camera stand alone does not make sense to me. Shoot and tag as you go" is such a basic concept, I just don't want to fiddle with a phone too, so I will not be using SnapBridge.

Last edited:

Paul2660

Hi Dave

Yes it seems to fit in the 10 pin socket. Has a front pass through so a remote can be used. I have thinking of trying one for a while now.

It’s strange what mainline companies choose to leave off a camera.

The D850 is hard wired to see a GPS so hopefully this will work well.

Paul C

dave.gt

Hi Dave

Yes it seems to fit in the 10 pin socket. Has a front pass through so a remote can be used. I have thinking of trying one for a while now.

It’s strange what mainline companies choose to leave off a camera.

The D850 is hard wired to see a GPS so hopefully this will work well.

Paul C
Cool... I have read some good reviews on the Evo! :):):)

I guess the other option is to buy a used Nikon unit on Ebay for about the same price. ???

Paul2660

Cool... I have read some good reviews on the Evo! :):):)

I guess the other option is to buy a used Nikon unit on Ebay for about the same price. ???
I don't know much about the Nikon unit. I believe it fits in the flash socket, but not sure how it attaches to the camera.

Wondering if the Nikon attaches to the 10 pin if they offer a passthrough.

Paul

dave.gt

I don't know much about the Nikon unit. I believe it fits in the flash socket, but not sure how it attaches to the camera.

Wondering if the Nikon attaches to the 10 pin if they offer a passthrough.

Paul
TBH, I read this several times and I guess I am just tired tonight, and I am not sure what it says. I think it attaches to the hot shoe now. And there are some cables to attach to accessories. The camera strap clip appears to be for hanging it on the strap when a flash is being used. Not sure...:(

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892736-REG/Nikon_27034_GP_1A_GPS_Unit.html

dave.gt

I bought the Nikon GPS originally. It was a dog. I then found the Solmeta. It works well, and geotags the files just like the Nikon
https://www.solmeta.com/

There may be better solutions these days but I haven’t gone looking.
Hmmm... Jeff, I have read reviews of the Nikon unit and they confirm your experience. The Solmeta unit has good reviews and I could live with the cord.

Paul2660

Solmeta, if you use the 10 pin to Nikon D850, you lose the ability to have a cable release, at least it seems that it uses the same 10 pin port with no pass through.

They show a USB cable, connecting to different older Nikon Bodies, I wonder if it would work on the D850, allowing the 10 pin to be free?

Paul C

dave.gt

Solmeta, if you use the 10 pin to Nikon D850, you lose the ability to have a cable release, at least it seems that it uses the same 10 pin port with no pass through.

They show a USB cable, connecting to different older Nikon Bodies, I wonder if it would work on the D850, allowing the 10 pin to be free?

Paul C
Hi, Paul,

This morning, I was playing around with SnapBridge and the Bluetooth only. To my surprise with the iphone5, it worked flawlessly, fairly quickly and I just left the phone in my pocket.

Straight OOC... no post work/ Early morning low light.
D850 50/1.8:
_DSC4176.JPG

_DSC4177.JPG

I suggest giving SnapBridge a test drive with only Bluetooth. It works great indoors and outdoors, as long as you enable RAW + fine jpeg which I forgot to do yesterday, thus the frustration. LOL...

I think this may be my solution. :) I am interested to see how it works for you.

WiFi worked but I will stick with Bluetooth for awhile and revisit WiFi later.

dave.gt

Checking the Bluetooth protocol again:

And it worked seamlessly with jpeg to phone and then to the forum here.

The geotag information went directly to the RAW file and is embedded there. (In the interest of privacy, it will not be posted here.)

:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:

Paul2660

Hi Dave,

I will try it. However if your phone has no cell service, does the GPS still work? Curious, as I always have a phone with me. Just assumed it needed service, which most times it won't.

Thanks
Paul

dave.gt

Hi Dave,

I will try it. However if your phone has no cell service, does the GPS still work? Curious, as I always have a phone with me. Just assumed it needed service, which most times it won't.

Thanks
Paul
According to one of the forums, I forget which one, maybe Nikonians, Bluetooth does not need service. When you attempt to download photos via WIFI, you get a notice that it needs to be synced with the phone and all the settings on camera and in the app. I am not yet having any luck with WiFi... but I am sure it is just me.

I like the Bluetooth!:)

dave.gt

Update:

After using Bluetooth for 5 days now, I can recommend it for quick Geotags of files as you shoot. It takes only a few seconds to turn on the SnapBridge app and the camera is already set to go.

When you get home, the files on the memory card are tagged! Easy!

:grin: