The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

Fun at f/2.8:

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 70mm, 1/400, f/2.8, ISO 100

Auto Distortion Control set to ON in Capture NX-D, but Vignette Control set to OFF.

Here is the link to a 1:1 crop of the interesting part, with default capture sharpening in Capture NX-D, but no output sharpening: http://mcauig.bn.files.1drv.com/y4mX9O0dh3qlQ3Nv84l6B7iiYDmALEOFdehU1obg0OdOgLmetBU1DJ1KGXja9iXM0U0IObYTnxnv25AX7KcIOpMjmBYSBMm2BhackIKztrtqs22pVuwQAmk6tmaGKrDKoBse8lA6sujGXw9EqyVxrBSCj78KRqN4WWDJONns7c2kDOra0q9ndGlx8ZgSxhxd9TqZeo_rnmL9GxPEecEyUZ3Mw/_DSC0598-crop.jpg

The Z6 was set to Wide Area (small) AF for Closest Subject Priority focus.

Darin Marcus

Two days ago at the Revolutionary War Weekend 2019 event, Mount Vernon, Virginia:

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 70mm, 1/1000, f/2.8, ISO 200

A 1:1 crop from the above:

Thorkil

Yes it certainly looks spectacular indeed! What an achievement! But I will unfortunately have to carefully avoid it because of size, weight and..lack of money..:angel:

Thorkil

the above picture is beautiful, but the picture down below gives a sort full show of the out of focus drawing-quality which in my mind simply is outstanding, delicate, extremely calm and delicious "soft", in my view it will be hard for any lens at all to
challenge this - at the same time the sharpness is impressive, which the revolution-lady at 100% proves, and the white flower-drawing (gentle sharpness) leads the thoughts onto the best way a leica-lens can draw

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 70mm, 1/640, f/2.8, ISO 100

tcdeveau

I picked up one of these and a Z6 relatively recently and have been enjoying it. It's been a great all purpose setup. Will try and post some pics if I get around to it this weekend!

Photon42

Thinking of buying the 2.8 Zoom at some point, maybe selling the d810 .... nice camera, but honestly, I hardly use it anymore since the Z7 arrived. I tried the f2.8 Zoom today in a store and it is less bulky than I thought. Undecided yet, as I have still f1.8 lenses for low light. Maybe it is more want than need ..., but it is somewhat cool to have one lens which can do really a lot and has stellar image quality.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Posted this already in another Nikon thread but found it would fir also in here.

I ordered a Nikkor S 2.8/24-70 together with the Nikon Z7 last week, as we have some great discounts going on here in Austria. I could not be more happy ;):D:cool:

Camera and lens should arrive in the next weeks.

Figured out from tons of Youtube videos and reviews that the 2.8/24-70 S is one of the best if not the best available today for mirrorless cameras.

Looking forward to this combo and being back in FF territory again after so many years exclusively shooting m43 Olympus. I will keep my Olympus gear as prices for used m43 gear are pretty much down in these times and also for when I really need long reach with minimal weight.

I am sure I will really enjoy to be back in Nikon FF land and will keep you updated on my journey ....

I am planning to add some of the really excellent 1.8 S prime lenses later as well as the 100-400 that should arrive till 2021 :thumbup:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 24-70/2.8 S is for certain stellar and you cannot go wrong with it! But the f4 version is no slouch either. In a perfect world where I had the funds, I would own both simply for the size and weight savings of the f4 lens and still excellent performance. In my own personal case and for my own budget, I opted for choosing the 14-30/4, 50/1.8 and 24-70/4 (24-70/4 was bundled with the Z7 at a very attractive kit price) instead of just the 24-70/2.8 for about the same total cost.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The 24-70/2.8 S is for certain stellar and you cannot go wrong with it! But the f4 version is no slouch either. In a perfect world where I had the funds, I would own both simply for the size and weight savings of the f4 lens and still excellent performance. In my own personal case and for my own budget, I opted for choosing the 14-30/4, 50/1.8 and 24-70/4 (24-70/4 was bundled with the Z7 at a very attractive kit price) instead of just the 24-70/2.8 for about the same total cost.
Jack,

I hear you! I was long thinking if I should go with the F2.8 or F4 version of the 24-70. Price wise the F4 version would have been similar in IQ but much cheaper. Maybe enough (and even better ) for many of my shootings.

I decided for the F2.8 version as I hope this will be the last 24-70 lens I buy for a long time (if not forever). I kind of decided to go forward with Nikon Z mount and I will only very slowly build up that system - with much thought and not much money (unfortunately). Anyway I am confident I did the right choice for many years to come.

The 4/14-30 is on my list as WA zoom as well as the 100-400 as soon as it arrives (maybe next year). Adding one or two 1.8 primes (50 and 35 or 85) and maybe the 105 Micro and I would be set for all I need. And if I win in lottery maybe the 1.2/50 - or if I sell some of my Leica M mount lenses, which I definitely will try out on the Z7 and then decide if and what I keep.

Here you have it, I am anyway really excited to work with FF again and as I am sure with one of the best (if not the best) FF mirrorless systems :thumbs:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 4/14-30 is on my list as WA zoom as well as the 100-400 as soon as it arrives (maybe next year). Adding one or two 1.8 primes (50 and 35 or 85) and maybe the 105 Micro and I would be set for all I need. And if I win in lottery maybe the 1.2/50 - or if I sell some of my Leica M mount lenses, which I definitely will try out on the Z7 and then decide if and what I keep.
A couple of thoughts on adding 1.8 lenses going forward. The 50 is a stunner -- according to DXO even sharper than the Zeiss Outus. I can concur it is the sharpest lens I've ever owned, period -- and yet to my eyes it still renders as nicely as Leica Pre-Asph Lux. (That said, I hardly use it unless I have a specific need for the aperture because the 24-70 is so darn good and already on the camera!) The 35 is also stellar, but not up to the 50 -- and in fact your 24-70 is for all intents as good as the 35 prime, so all you'll be gaining is the extra aperture. The 85 is pretty much like the 50, simply stellar and un-equalled, again even by the Zeiss Outus as re sharpness; but once again, your 24-70 at 70 is going to be very close in performance, albeit 15mm shorter and loss of the 1-⅓ stop. The 85 is on my short list, probably my next acquisiition, but I may opt for the 105 macro when it's released instead... The 14-30 is quite good for the range it covers and frankly better than any other 14-24 zooms I've used, so for my needs it's more than adequate but not really up to the 24-70 or primes, just FWIW...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
A couple of thoughts on adding 1.8 lenses going forward. The 50 is a stunner -- according to DXO even sharper than the Zeiss Outus. I can concur it is the sharpest lens I've ever owned, period -- and yet to my eyes it still renders as nicely as Leica Pre-Asph Lux. (That said, I hardly use it unless I have a specific need for the aperture because the 24-70 is so darn good and already on the camera!) The 35 is also stellar, but not up to the 50 -- and in fact your 24-70 is for all intents as good as the 35 prime, so all you'll be gaining is the extra aperture. The 85 is pretty much like the 50, simply stellar and un-equalled, again even by the Zeiss Outus as re sharpness; but once again, your 24-70 at 70 is going to be very close in performance, albeit 15mm shorter and loss of the 1-⅓ stop. The 85 is on my short list, probably my next acquisiition, but I may opt for the 105 macro when it's released instead... The 14-30 is quite good for the range it covers and frankly better than any other 14-24 zooms I've used, so for my needs it's more than adequate but not really up to the 24-70 or primes, just FWIW...
Thanks so much for this input/update, then I will also move 14-30 and 85 (or 105) next :D

Thorkil

Posted this already in another Nikon thread but found it would fir also in here.

I ordered a Nikkor S 2.8/24-70 together with the Nikon Z7 last week, as we have some great discounts going on here in Austria. I could not be more happy ;):D:cool:

Camera and lens should arrive in the next weeks.

Figured out from tons of Youtube videos and reviews that the 2.8/24-70 S is one of the best if not the best available today for mirrorless cameras.

Looking forward to this combo and being back in FF territory again after so many years exclusively shooting m43 Olympus. I will keep my Olympus gear as prices for used m43 gear are pretty much down in these times and also for when I really need long reach with minimal weight.

I am sure I will really enjoy to be back in Nikon FF land and will keep you updated on my journey ....

I am planning to add some of the really excellent 1.8 S prime lenses later as well as the 100-400 that should arrive till 2021 :thumbup:
Peter, I think I will take the risk to claim, that I can foresee with great certainty that you will be a happy man ..:thumbup:
best thorkil

Dustbak

-- and in fact your 24-70 is for all intents as good as the 35 prime, so all you'll be gaining is the extra aperture....

Indeed, the 2.8 basically only wins a stop. I am seriously contemplating getting it just for that reason.

Too many excellent lenses. I already have most of the 1.8 lenses and I fear the day the 1.2 series will be available :(