The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S Photos and Discussions

KeithL

I'll take a long hard look at the 50 S f/1.2 when it comes to market, but I do wonder - given that I already own the 85 S f/1.8 and love it - if I'd actually gain anything other than aching muscles. The point is the 50 S only interests me for its wide open characteristics and what would I gain, if anything, over using the 85 S? The perspective would differ of course - this could actually be advantage to the 85 - but the DOF would be similar. Perhaps the out of focus highlights on the 50 would remain more circular on the 50 but I won't be holding my breath over that. Really, what would I gain for the extra £2000-£2500?

Dustbak

I'll take a long hard look at the 50 S f/1.2 when it comes to market, but I do wonder - given that I already own the 85 S f/1.8 and love it - if I'd actually gain anything other than aching muscles. The point is the 50 S only interests me for its wide open characteristics and what would I gain, if anything, over using the 85 S? The perspective would differ of course - this could actually be advantage to the 85 - but the DOF would be similar. Perhaps the out of focus highlights on the 50 would remain more circular on the 50 but I won't be holding my breath over that. Really, what would I gain for the extra £2000-£2500?

Sure the 85 vs 50. I already own the 50/1.8 which is already so good that it is hard to believe if you haven't got it. It makes me really wonder what the 1.2 will be... kind of impossible to believe they can make that one even better.

Sure you need to work out for the 1.2. It also kind of looses one of the things I really like about the Z series, eg. relatively small, light and fantastic quality.

But than again.... 1.2? Could it be better than the 1.8?.. the thought does make me drool a little.

KeithL

Sure the 85 vs 50. I already own the 50/1.8 which is already so good that it is hard to believe if you haven't got it. It makes me really wonder what the 1.2 will be... kind of impossible to believe they can make that one even better.

Sure you need to work out for the 1.2. It also kind of looses one of the things I really like about the Z series, eg. relatively small, light and fantastic quality.

But than again.... 1.2? Could it be better than the 1.8?.. the thought does make me drool a little.
Yes, I also love my 50 S f/1.8.

It will be interesting to see a comparison between the 85 S f/1.8 and the 50 S f/1.2 when they are both shot wide open, but that 50 f/1.2 would need to offer something very different in terms of bokeh to lead me into temptation.

Last edited:

Thorkil

Indeed, the 2.8 basically only wins a stop. I am seriously contemplating getting it just for that reason.

Too many excellent lenses. I already have most of the 1.8 lenses and I fear the day the 1.2 series will be available :(
to my eyes its more than the step up from f4 to the light from f2.8, its more that, from the pictures I have seen so far, it renders more beautiful, in a exquisite soft-sharp way, lower and more refined and delicate contrasts,
and the out of focus areas are just so delicious and dreamy ..
I would like to own it, but can't afford for the time being.
kr thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It’s a great lens. I had it and ultimately sold it. Primarily because I preferred the size of the f4 version and its still excellent performance, and I own a few fast primes in that range to cover the extra (and even a few more stops) when wanted. My experience only, respect others opinions will vary 👍

Darin Marcus

It’s a great lens. I had it and ultimately sold it. Primarily because I preferred the size of the f4 version and its still excellent performance, and I own a few fast primes in that range to cover the extra (and even a few more stops) when wanted. My experience only, respect others opinions will vary 👍
Hopefully soon Nikon will give you 2 more prime options in the same range :)

Darin Marcus

Two more from inside the Stone House:

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 24mm, 1/80sec, f/2.8, ISO 100, VR On (Stone House, Manassas National Battlefield Park, September 2022)

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 51mm, 1/1000sec, f/5.6, ISO 100, -0.3EC (Stone House, Manassas National Battlefield Park, September 2022)