The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 34mm, 1/160, f/8, ISO 100, +1 EC, Nikon CP

Auto Distortion Control ON in Capture NX-D, manual vignetting correction +30 in Lightroom 6.
No cropping.

The customizable control ring defaults to aperture control. Personally I find it a bit difficult to access (too close to the mount), and too easy to rotate by accident (no clicks when rotating).

Darin Marcus

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 70mm, 1/400, f/2.8, ISO 100

Auto Distortion Control ON in Capture NX-D, manual vignetting correction +30 in Lightroom 6.
No cropping.

Last edited:

pegelli

Hi Darin, thanks for sharing these pictures. A quick question: obviously the 2.8 version gives you more flexibility for less light and/or less dof, but do you see a lot of difference in rendering between both 24-70 lenses at f5.6 or f8? Sharpness, bokeh, micro-contrast etc.

Darin Marcus

A quick question: obviously the 2.8 version gives you more flexibility for less light and/or less dof, but do you see a lot of difference in rendering between both 24-70 lenses at f5.6 or f8? Sharpness, bokeh, micro-contrast etc.
It is a bit too early to tell. So far I focused mostly on testing the lens for issues, and on how well it works at f/2.8 In the next couple of weeks I will try to get some pictures that will allow an apples-to-apples comparison with the f/4 (which I no longer have). But from what I have seen so far, it does seem to have a bit more resolution/sharpness, and less distortion and vignetting than the f/4.

Paul2660

Nice shots, especially Great Falls of the Potomac. Always wanted to get out there in my Kayaking days, not to run but to watch.

I have for now decided to keep using my 24-70 VRII lens, since the S lens and this lens are so close in weight and size. The Z with that lens is not a bad solution, just have to have the adapter. Plus I still use the D850 about 1/2 the time, so the S lens would be a tough call for now, especially since the 24-70 VRII is so good.

Had hoped Nikon would have a bit lower price on the new S lens but it's priced in the same range as the other.

Looks like a great lens for sure.

Paul C

I am confident that the Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 is a fine lens, though I'm not sure that should come as any surprise. What would you expect from Nikon for $2300?

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

Nice shots, especially Great Falls of the Potomac. Always wanted to get out there in my Kayaking days, not to run but to watch.
Thank you Paul.
The Great Falls photo is from the Maryland side, which is nicer, in my opinion :D

I've just posted a J5 photo from 2016 in the PAW thread that you might find interesting... https://www.getdpi.com/forum/artful-images-to-share-including-nsfw/56185-paw-picture-week-have-fun-15.html#post785603

I have for now decided to keep using my 24-70 VRII lens, since the S lens and this lens are so close in weight and size. The Z with that lens is not a bad solution, just have to have the adapter. Plus I still use the D850 about 1/2 the time, so the S lens would be a tough call for now, especially since the 24-70 VRII is so good.

Had hoped Nikon would have a bit lower price on the new S lens but it's priced in the same range as the other.

Looks like a great lens for sure.

Paul C
The decision is indeed harder if you already have an F mount 24-70.
I've never owned one, and the f/2.8 Z definitely has some advantages over the f/4 for me, so it was simpler in my case :)

Darin Marcus

Hmmm, even for this lens, when Nikon's Auto Distortion Control (Capture NX-D) is applied, a little bit is cropped from the margins of the image...

Darin Marcus

The same photo as above, processed in the same way except for turning off Auto Distortion Control in Capture NX-D:

To see the difference open each photo in its own tab, and switch rapidly between the two tabs.

To my non-expert eyes, there is not much actual distortion correction going on at 32mm f/8, but more of a zoom-in effect in which the margins are cropped and then the photo is enlarged back to 24 MP.
Not sure what is their reason for this...

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
To my non-expert eyes, there is not much actual distortion correction going on at 32mm f/8, but more of a zoom-in effect in which the margins are cropped and then the photo is enlarged back to 24 MP.
Not sure what is their reason for this...
Looks like there's just a little bit of pincushion distortion, and if corrected the edges would end up rounded outwards (barreled) if they weren't cropped at the original image boundaries.

Darin Marcus

Hi Darin, thanks for sharing these pictures. A quick question: obviously the 2.8 version gives you more flexibility for less light and/or less dof, but do you see a lot of difference in rendering between both 24-70 lenses at f5.6 or f8? Sharpness, bokeh, micro-contrast etc.
Sharper (especially in the corners), better micro-contrast, better bokeh, less distortion.... but not enough optical improvements to justify the large price increase.
However, the price increase also covers f/2.8, non-collapsible lens, better build, extra control ring, faster AF and a few other small improvements.
It may not be enough for some to justify this purchase (also taking into consideration the increased size, weight and filter diameter), but _personally_ I am very happy I upgraded.
Now give me that updated firmware... :)

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 56mm, 1/250, f/4, ISO 100

Auto Distortion Control set to ON in Capture NX-D.