The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D850 - Great for Family Portraits

dave.gt

As most of you probably know already, the Swiss Army Knife-like D850 and the tilt-screen is fabulous for many things, from Astrophotography to Portraits.

***For the record, excepting the X1, I only shoot OVF. Please do not utter the E-word around me, because I do not like EVF... the tilt-screen is another thing altogether. But that is just me.:)

The tilt-screen on the D850, and a few other Nikons, has been wonderful for me. The live view screens on other cameras tick me off in bright sunny conditions but the screen on the D850 worked flawlessly today while I kept eye-contact and conversation lively, including crazy antics, with the youngest kiddos.:) It was actually fun!:)

Now, the lightweight all-purpose D850 has already, in less than 60 days, impressed me enough that it is my go-to camera and resides in my Hadley Pro frequently along with two other cameras, a Nikon film camera of choice and my trusty Leica X1.

Now, does it replace MF? Not hardly as it is a different system and experience, which for me is important enough to consider it half of the reason I prefer MF when the task matches the camera and conditions. Sometimes, only the big Medium Format will do. And I do like massive, heavy gear, oh, yeah!

For those who do not own a camera with a tilt-screen, like me, you don't know the joy of it all, yet! It is liberating.

Get one, there are a lot of choices!:thumbs:

Paul2660

The tilt screen is a huge plus for me, as I love to get a low perspective at time, and or shoot at waist level to remove perspective distortion. The D810 would still be my main camera if Nikon had had the foresight to put a tilt screen on it. They out did themselves with the D850, in adding a touch screen, with several great options. If you do much astro work at night, with the camera angled up, again the tilting screen is a wonder. Again just wish the D810A, had one.

Another reason I still have a K1, for astro work.

And one of the main reasons, I did not embrace the Hasselblad X1D, albeit a great design and ergonomic wonder, it has no tilting rear screen.

Phase One, with the IQ3, has no tilt screen, but they did have Capture Pilot, which let your phone become the tilt screen, and it worked quite well to set up a shot. Sadly, the IQ4, still has nothing like Capture Pilot, something I do miss. They did fix the HDMI out to make it more useable, but you still have to move the image from the LCD on the IQ4 screen, which is next to impossible if you are working down low. I do hope that Capture Pilot or it's successor will be coming in the near future.

Paul C