The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon and 60MP Sony Sensor

Darin Marcus

I think it is a safe bet that we will soon see new Nikon top models - I hope in their Z-series - with that new Sony 60MP sensor. Nikon just signed up to purchase this new Sony IMX455 sensor.

IMO a very good decision and move by Sony!

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/04/23/..._campaign=Feed:+NikonRumors+(NikonRumors.com)
I found this in the listed specs: 12-ADC in Still Picture Mode.
It seems that the pixels are now too small to get 14 bits of useful data out of them...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It seems that the pixels are now too small to get 14 bits of useful data out of them...
:(

12-bit color is definitely a step backward. In fact, for my uses it more than negates any possible gain from the added pixels. Unfortunate.

I found this in the listed specs: 12-ADC in Still Picture Mode. It seems that the pixels are now too small to get 14 bits of useful data out of them...
This is the same pixel size as the 150MP Phase One back. Nobody is complaining about it. In fact, most of the reviewers are ga-ga.

iiiNelson

Thats probably a typo or translation error... the text says 16-bit for still pictures and the 12-bit mode (probably means 12-bit color which was probably lost in translation) is for 8k video according to the text. In either case, if true, it’s likely best to see what actually happens. 12-bit color would be a huge step forward for video since most video is 8-bit with some of the better offerings providing 10-bit. We generally only see 12-bit in RAW video and maybe this is a sign that RAW video will be the norm going forward from most manufacturers.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
60MP? Over 46? Yeah, that will be some improvement. 30% more pixels, or 10% linear. It will revolutionise photography for sure :ROTFL:

Okay then... there are probably other improvements, but hmmm... it will do nothing for photography, zilch, zero. Just another excuse to spend more money on cameras and less on French cheese and wine :scry:

60MP? Over 46? Yeah, that will be some improvement. 30% more pixels, or 10% linear. It will revolutionise photography for sure :ROTFL:

Okay then... there are probably other improvements, but hmmm... it will do nothing for photography, zilch, zero. Just another excuse to spend more money on cameras and less on French cheese and wine :scry:
It kind of depends on what you shoot and how big you print. There is a market for digital medium format you know. But for the average amateur who doesn't even print, it will of course make no difference. 60MP downrezzed to 800x1200 jpegs for the web forums to show how great your new f/0.95 lens looks will not revolutionize photography.

Last edited:

pegelli

It kind of depends on what you shoot and how big you print.
The distance from which the print is viewed is another key variable that's often forgotten in the determination how many MP's are actually needed. I don't think all these highway billboards were shot with 50 MP+ cameras.

Paul2660

Look at the useable ISO range, 64 to 400, which is also surprising.

I missed the 12 bit drop from 14 bit. 35mm may have reached a hard stop.

Paul C

JoelM

Sandisk, Lexar, Samsung, and all the storage companies are likely thrilled with this news.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It kind of depends on what you shoot and how big you print. There is a market for digital medium format you know. But for the average amateur who doesn't even print, it will of course make no difference. 60MP downrezzed to 800x1200 jpegs for the web forums to show how great your new f/0.95 lens looks will not revolutionize photography.
I don't think it depends on what I shoot. The difference is the same as the difference between 10 and 13 MP, not much, and hard to discover by the human eye, particularly on a print viewed from an appropriate distance. It will probably look fantastic when pixel peeping though, and I'm not joking when I say that pixel peeping has become a kind of hobby in its own right. It's like buying a microscope, not to do serious research, but because it's cool to watch tiny things. It's quite common, sometimes very interesting and not illegal. Us pixel peepers should get more respect :lecture:

Actually, the name of this forum... oh no :wtf: ... and I always thought this was the photography department :facesmack: :ROTFL:

I'm quit sure that upgrading the lenses to the latest, greatest for that old 46MP clunker will give more resolution improvement than increasing the number of pixels by 30%.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Look at the useable ISO range, 64 to 400, which is also surprising.

I missed the 12 bit drop from 14 bit. 35mm may have reached a hard stop.

Paul C
Thats not useable ISO range that’s likely dual native ISO. So it’ll have two native ISO values. ISO 64 may be for photo and ISO 400 may be for video.

pegelli

And they all look pretty terrible. No one would confuse them for high quality, even from a distance. At best you can say they get the job done.
Depends which billboards, there's good ones and bad ones :lecture:

Or are you saying that viewing distance plays no role in judging how many pixels you need for a certain print size?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Depends which billboards, there's good ones and bad ones :lecture:

Or are you saying that viewing distance plays no role in judging how many pixels you need for a certain print size?
Billboards are mostly printed at well under 50ppi. 30ppi is very common and 15 not unusual.

DougDolde

French cheese and wine sounds great. May have to buy some tomorrow.
I hardly ever buy wine due to my preference for cannabis which is getting
really cheap in California

Photon42

Good to see Nikon being alive and kicking. Wine & Cheese will not likely find its way into their portfolio anytime soon :cool:

free1000

French cheese and wine sounds great. May have to buy some tomorrow.
I hardly ever buy wine due to my preference for cannabis which is getting
really cheap in California
How cheap is that. I don't like the stuff myself but I'm curious as to how the economics have changed.