The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tamron 35-150mm f/2.8-4... very cool

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For a while now, I've been considering buying a used D810, but I've been struggling to find a relatively lightweight lens combo to makes it a valid option for travel. This new lens, combined with Tamron's 17-35mm f/2.8-4 and the 85mm f/1.8 that I already have, might just do it.

https://www.tamron.jp/en/product/lenses/a043.html

https://www.tamron.jp/en/product/lenses/a037.html

I'm missing the optical viewfinder, the image quality, the battery life and not least the exposure latitude at ISO 64 of the D810. The two lenses are $800 plus 600, and the weight 800 and 500g (do they match price and weight at Tamron?), and I won't be able to buy quality lenses for MFT for much less than that, not even second hand.

I don't know when, or even if, this will happen, but I'm warming up to it. In any case, I'll keep MFT as well, the bodies that I have and some small high quality primes for when I want to travel light.

dave.gt

For a while now, I've been considering buying a used D810, but I've been struggling to find a relatively lightweight lens combo to makes it a valid option for travel. This new lens, combined with Tamron's 17-35mm f/2.8-4 and the 85mm f/1.8 that I already have, might just do it.

https://www.tamron.jp/en/product/lenses/a043.html

https://www.tamron.jp/en/product/lenses/a037.html

I'm missing the optical viewfinder, the image quality, the battery life and not least the exposure latitude at ISO 64 of the D810. The two lenses are $800 plus 600, and the weight 800 and 500g (do they match price and weight at Tamron?), and I won't be able to buy quality lenses for MFT for much less than that, not even second hand.

I don't know when, or even if, this will happen, but I'm warming up to it. In any case, I'll keep MFT as well, the bodies that I have and some small high quality primes for when I want to travel light.
Lightness is over-rated! As we learned in our younger years, weight-training and workouts made us healthy and stronger!!!:ROTFL:

Besides, the OVF is a time-honored connection to the experience of shooting. Screens and EVFs just aren't the same.:):):)

Life is too short, just get the D810 and enjoy life. It can change in an instant, as we can absolutely confirm.:thumbup:

Enjoy!!!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Lightness is over-rated! As we learned in our younger years, weight-training and workouts made us healthy and stronger!!!:ROTFL:

Besides, the OVF is a time-honored connection to the experience of shooting. Screens and EVFs just aren't the same.:):):)

Life is too short, just get the D810 and enjoy life. It can change in an instant, as we can absolutely confirm.:thumbup:

Enjoy!!!
The problem with lightness is that it only comes with a smaller sensor. A D750 with a 35mm f/1.8 (F-mount) and one battery is 1,145g. A Z6 with a 35mm f/1.8 (Z-mount) and one battery is 1,075g, but you need 2-3 batteries for each of the batteries for the D750. Each battery weighs 88g.

A smaller sensor, like with MFT, comes at the cost of image quality. That is not a problem as long as I can control the light, and in many cases, the lower weight is what made me bring a camera at all. However, sometimes a bigger sensor is needed, and if the body is a couple of hundred grams heavier doesn't matter much if I have to carry more batteries and heavier lenses when using mirrorless.

I've been shooting mirrorless for ten years now, and SLR for forty. Every time I pick up a DSLR camera, there's a smile in my brain. Mirrorless is good for many things, but it is what it is, an electronic device that interpretes its version of reality. I will shoot both in the future. Time will show what I will use the most.

dave.gt

The problem with lightness is that it only comes with a smaller sensor. A D750 with a 35mm f/1.8 (F-mount) and one battery is 1,145g. A Z6 with a 35mm f/1.8 (Z-mount) and one battery is 1,075g, but you need 2-3 batteries for each of the batteries for the D750. Each battery weighs 88g.

A smaller sensor, like with MFT, comes at the cost of image quality. That is not a problem as long as I can control the light, and in many cases, the lower weight is what made me bring a camera at all. However, sometimes a bigger sensor is needed, and if the body is a couple of hundred grams heavier doesn't matter much if I have to carry more batteries and heavier lenses when using mirrorless.

I've been shooting mirrorless for ten years now, and SLR for forty. Every time I pick up a DSLR camera, there's a smile in my brain. Mirrorless is good for many things, but it is what it is, an electronic device that interpretes its version of reality. I will shoot both in the future. Time will show what I will use the most.
The Tamron you linked to looks cool! I have not heard of this lens before so now I have a research task ahead. Let us know more about your experiences with it!

Btw, I like your approach to using all that is available... we live in times that give us a lot of choices and it can sometimes be confusing but, always interesting.:):):)

dave.gt

Just did a little checking on BH Photo...

Three (3) lenses:
-17-35mm
-35-150mm
-15-600mm

That is an amazing range. Further comparisons will surely be needed!:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just did a little checking on BH Photo...

Three (3) lenses:
-17-35mm
-35-150mm
-15-600mm

That is an amazing range. Further comparisons will surely be needed!:)
I suppose that should be 150-600mm.

They have also announced a 35mm f/1.4 for launch later this year. In addition, there's the new Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AF, also in f-mount. If it's as good as other Samyang premium glass, it's well worth a look:

https://samyanglensglobal.com/en/product/product-view.php?seq=422

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Tamron you linked to looks cool! I have not heard of this lens before so now I have a research task ahead. Let us know more about your experiences with it!

Btw, I like your approach to using all that is available... we live in times that give us a lot of choices and it can sometimes be confusing but, always interesting.:):):)
For a starter, I might buy a couple of full frame lenses for use with my F80 and my existing DX bodies. I'm not in a hurry though, so it may take a while. I just bought another MFT lens today :ROTFL:

dave.gt

For a starter, I might buy a couple of full frame lenses for use with my F80 and my existing DX bodies. I'm not in a hurry though, so it may take a while. I just bought another MFT lens today :ROTFL:
Interestingly, recently, I started carrying ny F80 along with the D850 in the Billingham Hadley Pro and the trusty old bag has plenty of room left for an extra lens; a Leica X1; a bottle of water, or snacks for the day. I love options, and the two cameras together are really light, compared to my other gear.:)