The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z6 and Z7 in-body VR with adapted lenses

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I just discovered with my Leica M Tele-Elmar 135/4 that if I enter non-CPU lens data for it, in-body VR becomes enabled. Apparently the VR system needs the focal length. Without the data, no VR.

I think my use pattern will be to pre-set U1/U2/U3 for non-chipped lenses, basically enable peaking support, the proper lens data, zoom on OK, etc, in A mode (since that's pretty much all I shoot). Then when I swap lenses just turn the dial. Then back to "A" for chipped F or S mount lenses. This way I can set it up in advance when I pack the bag.

jdphoto

I've set the CPU lens data and zoom function to the Fn. 1 and Fn.2 buttons on the front. This way I can access the CPU data quickly and use the zoom function for MF. Peaking is always set to on. A firmware update for the Z's is set to launch in mid May and lens/camera rebates on 4/28. I don't think it's confirmed, but $600 off the Z7 and $200 off the Z6. Here's a link...

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/04/26/full-list-of-nikon-lens-rebates-coming-this-weekend.aspx/