The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikons Best is Back in Stock

dave.gt

NA reminder, Nikon still makes the world's best 35mm film camera, the F6.:thumbup:

I just received notice from B&H Photo that it is BACK IN STOCK!

***So why am I posting this here in the Nikon GetDPI forum? There are many reasons, including the fact that many of us still shoot film and have or recently owned the Nikon F6. The best is still here!
:thumbs:

What's in your bag, a lonely Nikon digital? Splurge a little and enjoy life while you can, you may just be pleasantly surprised and wonder why you waited so long!:thumbs:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bh...SA/Nikon_1799_F6_35mm_SLR_Autofocus.html/amp/

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I had one, will buy it again. Fantastic camera, and beautiful too.

On my next travels, I'll probably mostly be shooting film for things that are not work related. I've been editing lots of photos lately, digital photos, since they mostly need editing. And my right shoulder is hurting. Back to shooting film for a while, fewer photos, better photos, little or no editing (lab does the scanning), better shoulder.

Humans were not designed to sit behind computers. Humans were designed to enjoy life, roam free, drink wine and shoot film :thumbs:

Thor

Can't believe I am about to say this...... but it's just a tad bit more than I am willing to pay. I still like the thought of shooting film but most likely will be buying a film Pentax 645 for that so I can get extra use out of the lenses I already own for the D.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Can't believe I am about to say this...... but it's just a tad bit more than I am willing to pay. I still like the thought of shooting film but most likely will be buying a film Pentax 645 for that so I can get extra use out of the lenses I already own for the D.
For 35mm film, as a starting point, I can recommend the F80. I bought mine new for $100 a few years ago, and it's an excellent camera. Actually, it's the same body as the Nikon D100, Kodak 14n and Fuji S2/S3.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For shooting film I have my Nikon F3, FM2, Olympus OM-2n and Leica M6 and MP and that is more than adequate :thumbs:

No need to buy anything new again for a dying medium!

Last edited:

pegelli

For shooting film I have my F3 and M6 and that is more than adequate :thumbs:

No need to buy anything new again for a dying medium!
+1

Also for film I appreciate small size and light weight, so my M2, OM2 and OM4 will do just fine, probably with one or two lenses this will still be smaller and lighter than the F6 "brick"

ptomsu

Workshop Member
+1

Also for film I appreciate small size and light weight, so my M2, OM2 and OM4 will do just fine, probably with one or two lenses this will still be smaller and lighter than the F6 "brick"
Fully agree!

And what I would have to add is - when I decide to shoot film I am intentionally slowing down my whole process so I do not even want AF and rather very much prefer MF that all my film cameras offer me :cool:

Having owned the F5 and F4 bricks, I see no need to by another F6 brick :D

PeterA

NA reminder, Nikon still makes the world's best 35mm film camera, the F6.:thumbup:

I just received notice from B&H Photo that it is BACK IN STOCK!

***So why am I posting this here in the Nikon GetDPI forum? There are many reasons, including the fact that many of us still shoot film and have or recently owned the Nikon F6. The best is still here!
:thumbs:

What's in your bag, a lonely Nikon digital? Splurge a little and enjoy life while you can, you may just be pleasantly surprised and wonder why you waited so long!:thumbs:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bh...SA/Nikon_1799_F6_35mm_SLR_Autofocus.html/amp/
I occasionally shoot a roll of 35mm TRX on my Leica M3, develop it, scan it and process it it - just to remind myself how much better digital capture is -:)

dave.gt

Fully agree!

And what I would have to add is - when I decide to shoot film I am intentionally slowing down my whole process so I do not even want AF and rather very much prefer MF that all my film cameras offer me :cool:

Having owned the F5 and F4 bricks, I see no need to by another F6 brick :D
Such negative comments!:thumbdown: Why is that?

Was there anything in the OP that invited trolling or arguments? Why are so many photographers so eager to be argumentative? Film photogs should rejoice that Nikon still makes the F6! This Nikon forum is almost a dead forum due to inactivity. I contribute interesting posts to help it along. Maybe I should not continue to do so, I apologize if there is a social line I crossed that pissed off anyone to the point they had to issue negative comments. That was not the reason I posted on the Nikon forum of all places.

The only reason I post in any forum is for the positive experience of learning, sharing and fun. I have owned or used every camera mentioned above but I do not post negative comments about any of them.

My Leica M cameras are gone for a reason but I loved them despite their limitations. I do not diss them though. My F80 is fun, and it can do anything I want. It just doesn't have the same experience or feel of the F6 for good reason.

It is the recognized pinnacle of Nikon SLR design and as such is the only one left standing. For those who wants to experience a new F6 before it is gone, the opportunity to buy new is here... (At a fraction of the cost of most cameras on this entire forum. I bought my Nikon F6 four years ago from Japan at $600. Mint condition and Nikon Service inspected the camera before it was shipped to me. Perfect condition, for little money. I do not own it any more because of severe financial conditions due to medical expenses, but I would hope to buy another one someday.)

Using the word "brick", a pejorative term, is unnecessary. If you like/want an item, go for it. If not, simply pass. There is no need to be negative about the products a lot of us use and appreciate and like to discuss on a forum. But it is more than the camera itself... People are different, we should respect that fact and respect their preferences.

I hope this forum will continue to be a friendly and considerate place as I have come to expect over the part two years.:thumbup:

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Was there anything in the OP that invited trolling or arguments? Why are so many photographers so eager to be argumentative? Film photogs should rejoice that Nikon still makes the F6! This Nikon forum is almost a dead forum due to inactivity. I contribute interesting posts to help it along. Maybe I should not continue to do so, I apologize if there is a social line I crossed that pissed off anyone to the point they had to issue negative comments. That was not the reason I posted on the Nikon forum of all places.

The only reason I post in any forum is for the positive experience of learning, sharing and fun. I have owned or used every camera mentioned above but I do not post negative comments about any of them.

My Leica M cameras are gone for a reason but I loved them despite their limitations. I do not diss them though. My F80 is fun, and it can do anything I want. It just doesn't have the same experience or feel of the F6 for good reason.

It is the recognized pinnacle of Nikon SLR design and as such is the only one left standing. For those who wants to experience a new F6 before it is gone, the opportunity to buy new is here... (At a fraction of the cost of most cameras on this entire forum. I bought my Nikon F6 four years ago from Japan at $600. Mint condition and Nikon Service inspected the camera before it was shipped to me. Perfect condition, for little money. I do not own it any more because of severe financial conditions due to medical expenses, but I would hope to buy another one someday.)

Using the word "brick", a pejorative term, is unnecessary. If you like/want an item, go for it. If not, simply pass. There is no need to be negative about the products a lot of us use and appreciate and like to discuss on a forum. But it is more than the camera itself... People are different, we should respect that fact and respect their preferences.

I hope this forum will continue to be a friendly and considerate place as I have come to expect over the part two years.:thumbup:
Sorry but for me (I owned them all F4 and F5 even 2x) these cameras were feeling like bricks. This is not anything negative intended from my side, just stating that these kind of cameras were just too big for my use.

If you like that and like the F6 there is nothing wrong with it and you should enjoy it! But you cannot forbid anyone to have and voice a different opinion, especially when this person (like me) owned a big number of Nikon film DSLRs and knows what he is talking about.

Finally I strictly negate that I am trolling any of these forums here and I would really ask you to refrain from calling this trolling as otherwise I must assume that it is you who is posting here in order to start trolling.

Best

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The F6 is anything but a brick. Although it's almost a kilogram, it's slim build and excellent ergonomics makes it very easy to handle. The D850, to take an example, is heavier, thicker and offers inferior ergonomics in my view. Look at the top profile of these two, the F6 and the D700:

Here's the F6 and the D850:

https://camerasize.com/compact/#718,193,ha,t

As for film being dead or dying, in spite of being replaced by cars decades ago, horse riding is still an Olympic sport. Film won't die because many people won't use it. For some it's alive and well, just like painting and other forms of visual art that are more complicated than digital photography.

bensonga

I applaud Nikon for continuing to produce this outstanding film camera. It is certainly the technological pinnacle of their F series line while also being smaller than the F4 and F5, for obvious design reasons. If it feels as solid as a “brick”, that doesn’t bother me at all. It is an amazingly capable camera and smaller than many of the DSLRs I use and enjoy. It has more features than many of us need or want from a film camera, but for those still shooting film who do and prefer to buy new, it is great that Nikon continues to offer the F6.

Like Dave, I bought a near mint used F6 a few years ago (although I had to pay about twice the price he did). For me, it was to complete a collection of the trio of 35mm titans from Nikon, Canon and Leica.

Battle of the Titans: Nikon F6, Canon EOS-1V, Leica R9

Many here have strong opinions and don’t hesitate to share them. I often find things to like in almost all the photo gear I see, but unfortunately I have neither the funds or space to get all the gear I like. I would not characterize the comments made above as trolling, but I certainly understand Dave’s frustration and disappointment with the negativity. Whether you personally like the F6 or not, still shoot film or not etc is really not the point.

For those who do love the F6, Dave was simply sharing some great news. :clap::thumbs:

Gary

pegelli

The F6 is anything but a brick. Although it's almost a kilogram, it's slim build and excellent ergonomics makes it very easy to handle.
Well, this again shows ergonomics is very personal.

When I visited the US on business I was several times tempted to get an F6 and every time I handled one (rented from a shop for the weekend) I came away dissapointed, it didn't feel good in my hands and almost a kilo without the lens for me justifies the "brick"status. None of my DSLR's (even the too heavy A850 behemoth) came close to that weight. Allthough I wanted AF (to replace my OM's) neither the Canon's nor the Nikon's gave me a warm feeling so I finally stayed with MF until I got my first DSLR.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here is the F6 with two friends and their 50mm f/1.8:

D850 with 50mm f/1.8: 1,191g
F6 with 50mm f/1.8: 1,192g
Z7 with 50mm f/1.8: 1,000g

The comparison is both unfair and irrelevant of course, but it does detract from the myth that everything has become smaller and lighter with digital. It hasn't. Images are sharper and colours are cleaner and brighter, but the photos seen from an artistic or story telling point of view haven't changed much.

pegelli

Was there anything in the OP that invited trolling or arguments? Why are so many photographers so eager to be argumentative?
C'mon Dave, While I liked your quest for film you should have known that if you call something "the best :thumbs:" people who have a different assessment of that camera will give different opinions and perspectives. That's not negative, that's providing a different viewpoint from your own. I think a lot more is lost if we can't give and handle different opinions on something like a photographic tool..

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
C'mon Dave, While I liked your quest for film you should have known that if you call something "the best :thumbs:" people who have a different assessment of that camera will give different opinions and perspectives. That's not negative, that's providing a different viewpoint from your own. I think a lot more is lost if we can't give and handle different opinions on something like a photographic tool..
Those who call the F6 Nikon's best are mostly those who own or have owned one. There's a reason for that and there's a reason why they still make it. No other camera that I have owned or borrowed comes even close to the user experince of the F6. It's my subjective opinion of course, but I say that after having used one for several years. I sold it only because I needed the money urgently. Interestingly, when I put it up for sale together with some of my best digital gear last year, the F6 was what left the shop the same day as I handed it over. The dugital stuff took weeks or months to sell, and some of it is still at the shop.

pegelli

Those who call the F6 Nikon's best are mostly those who own or have owned one.
Jorgen, I indeed never owned one, but if a camera can't convince me going out shooting from late friday to late sunday I don't think I would have really warmed up to it if I would have kept it longer. However I have absolutely no problem with your opinion that it was the ideal camera for you or others, but what I don't like is that people who have a different opinion are being painted as negative trolls and are suggested to just shut up and accept what some people feel is the majority opinion. I know you are not like that (at least from what I see you have no problem speaking up if you see something you don't agree with :ROTFL:) but I think everybody here should be able to speak their mind here as long as they are not insulting or ad-hominem attacking other members.