The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikons Best is Back in Stock

pegelli

The comparison is both unfair and irrelevant of course, but it does detract from the myth that everything has become smaller and lighter with digital. It hasn't. Images are sharper and colours are cleaner and brighter, but the photos seen from an artistic or story telling point of view haven't changed much.
Well, I've never bought into that myth. If you want lightweight/smaller stuff you have to carefully select bodies and lenses (just like in the SLR and DSLR days). But if you do you can still go out with a Full Frame body and 2-3 lenses far below the 1 kilo of the Z7 and 1 lens.

By the time you drop the format to APS-C or M4/3 there is really no competition with these "latest/greatest/newest" systems

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The F6 is anything but a brick. Although it's almost a kilogram, it's slim build and excellent ergonomics makes it very easy to handle. The D850, to take an example, is heavier, thicker and offers inferior ergonomics in my view. Look at the top profile of these two, the F6 and the D700:

Here's the F6 and the D850:

https://camerasize.com/compact/#718,193,ha,t

As for film being dead or dying, in spite of being replaced by cars decades ago, horse riding is still an Olympic sport. Film won't die because many people won't use it. For some it's alive and well, just like painting and other forms of visual art that are more complicated than digital photography.
Well, this shows how subjective all this discussion is. For you the F6 is small and ok, for me the top design of a film camera looks and looked always different. For me the best Nikon SLR is and will always be the F3 which I have owned and shot a lot and still own a mint sample. As soon as Nikon SLRs got AF (F4 and F5) they ran into brick territory and if anyone feels offended with the word "brick" I shall state that I feel sorry for that and do not want to offend anybody, but you also could call it oversized or huge or whatever.

As a long year shooter of Nikon and also Leica (R3, R4, R4s, R6, R7 and finally R9 with a DMR I found the same happening to Leica R line as well - this line was pretty nice and small especially from R4 to R7 but as soon as the R8 and R9 appeared they were also "brisk" or simply huge. It anyway did not matter to me as I shot a R9/DMR combo (that was a real brik) for several years with huge pleasure as well as success.

But back to today - meanwhile mirrorless cameras have made me very sensitive to whatever large cameras we discussed above. So I am even more sensitive to size than I was years ago and would never go back. This is also he reason why I abandoned MF (film as well as digital) and I could not be happier.

So for casual film shooting I prefer my F3 and then maybe my OM-2n and sometimes my M6. But that's it and this only happens maybe 3-5% of when I shoot as fit in general has become far too cumbersome to handle for me nowadays.

And I do hope I do not again offend somebody with my opinion - but hey this forum should also be possible to share individual opinions.

Thorkil

..as a happy Z7 owner I would not even consider a F6 even though it might be a wonderful camera...(19.000 danish kr. in Denmark, its close to a Z7)(still got the F80 by the way..about the same size as the Z7 which is just 7mm's wider and 70 gram heavier)
but instead I might better consider dusting the Hasselblad SWC of, and put some film in (I always dreamt of getting used to guess the light condition so that one didn't have to use a meter, and using it as a B&W hipshot-camera - or perhaps just get the GR along as meter for safety) :rolleyes:

Elderly

I had one, will buy it again. ........

.... Back to shooting film for a while, fewer photos, better photos, little or no editing (lab does the scanning), better shoulder.

Humans were not designed to sit behind computers. Humans were designed to enjoy life, roam free, drink wine and ...... :thumbs:

Jorgen I agree that we are not designed to do what I'm doing at this moment (sitting IN FRONT of a computer) :p.

But I'm mystified by your implication that shooting film will give you "better photos",
because a few post further down you state:
"……. digital. …….. Images are sharper and colours are cleaner and brighter, but the photos seen from an artistic or story telling point of view haven't changed much. "

I see no negatives written there :confused:.

And of course you intend to buy one :grin:

bensonga

Last edited:

Photon42

For shooting film I have my Nikon F3, FM2, Olympus OM-2n and Leica M6 and MP and that is more than adequate :thumbs:

No need to buy anything new again for a dying medium!
It just means an F6 would be in good company :ROTFL:. Just got a used one recently. Stunning piece of a camera.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen I agree that we are not designed to do what I'm doing at this moment (sitting IN FRONT of a computer) :p.

But I'm mystified by your implication that shooting film will give you "better photos",
because a few post further down you state:
"……. digital. …….. Images are sharper and colours are cleaner and brighter, but the photos seen from an artistic or story telling point of view haven't changed much. "

I see no negatives written there :confused:.

And of course you intend to buy one :grin:
Because I define the quality of a photo by the story it tells and the skill of the photographer. Unfortunately also, and this is due to the nature of digital photography, but also the nature of our digital reality in general, the sheer number of photos produced and published today make no photo stand out. If you ask me to mention a news photo from the last ten years that really stands out, I have problems giving you an answer. From the time before digital, I could give you a long list.

Most things that are produced in large numbers, art and non-art, become ordinary and forgetable. If it's a photo or a Swatch or a TV-Show. Lucille Ball, Fawlty Towers and David Letterman are burnt into my memory. I could quote John Cleese any day. Now there are a zillion channels and "TV personalities", and they all look and sound the same. I see photos of these "celebrities" on the internet, and whenever I try to figure out what they did to become famous, there doesn't seem to be an answer.

Take animation, another art that is being destroyed by technological perfection and production volume. It used to be an art form, and the signature of the artist or the studio could be identified by just watching the cartoon. Now they are getting increasingly technologically perfect and "they all look the same".

During a visit to Myanmar with some European friends, one of them asked while watching an electrician climbing an electric pole wearing his traditional longyi, which a large number of Burmese men still do, why on earth he didn't wear "jeans or something", like any sensible man does. It's as if we are being trained to become ordinary and to treat whatever stands out with suspicion, be it a photo or a person. Quantity is good, quality is bad. Mao Zedong would love this world.

The F6 stands out for its qualities and because of the simple fact that after 15 years on the market, it hasn't been improved or replaced. I would actually like to see an upgrade, so that it could handle the latest F-mount lenses. Like the 58mm f/1.4, which would be great to use with film. But there are other lenses that work fine, so no worries. To me, the fact that Nikon bothers to produce the F6, and that they developed and launched it in the first place, is a good reason to support that company. Unfortunately, most people don't care. History and tradition are out of fashion, and many of those who claim to respect and represent history and tradition don't have a clue.

Yes, if I can find enough money I'll buy it again, preferably a new one this time. But money is always scarce, and there are kids around here who need the money more than I do. They need my money for their education and their future. I just "need" another piece of aluminium and plastic to fondle. So maybe I won't. I can still dream though :)

Sorry for the rant. Did it answer your question?

I love my F6! Shot Provia and some old Portra 400NC in it just yesterday.

My F6 and Kodak's new Ektachrome are a match made in heaven. That film is incredible, and the F6's meter is equally amazing.

The F6 stands out for its qualities and because of the simple fact that after 15 years on the market, it hasn't been improved or replaced. I would actually like to see an upgrade, so that it could handle the latest F-mount lenses. Like the 58mm f/1.4, which would be great to use with film. But there are other lenses that work fine, so no worries.

The F6 does work with the 58mm 1.4. So far only the 28/1.4E & 105/1.4E are incompatible. The solution there is that the old 28/1.4D is an excellent lens, and finally less expensive due to the new option. For the 105 we still have the 2.0D, which is not as remarkable as the 1.4, but has it's own great reputation.

The problem with the 58mm is that the beautiful softness which works so well on digital, can just look really soft on film. Also most users report that they need to AF fine tune it on digital bodies, which is not possible on the F6. I never loved my 58mm images on film as much as I do on digital. I use the 50mm 1.4G however, and the images are great! I could do even better with the Sigma 50mm, or the Tamron 45. I try to keep the size and weight down though. If I wanted a big camera I'd shoot 6x6 in my Hy6.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The F6 does work with the 58mm 1.4. So far only the 28/1.4E & 105/1.4E are incompatible. The solution there is that the old 28/1.4D is an excellent lens, and finally less expensive due to the new option. For the 105 we still have the 2.0D, which is not as remarkable as the 1.4, but has it's own great reputation.

The problem with the 58mm is that the beautiful softness which works so well on digital, can just look really soft on film. Also most users report that they need to AF fine tune it on digital bodies, which is not possible on the F6. I never loved my 58mm images on film as much as I do on digital. I use the 50mm 1.4G however, and the images are great! I could do even better with the Sigma 50mm, or the Tamron 45. I try to keep the size and weight down though. If I wanted a big camera I'd shoot 6x6 in my Hy6.
That's interesting. Many complain about AF problems that are serious enough to make them give up. I agree that it's not a big problem though, and if I buy an F6 again, it would probably be with Tamron lenses, 35 or 45mm, 85mm and possibly the new 35-150mm. Stabilised primes plus film should be a good fit :)

Do you know if the AF-P lenses will work? Apparently, the 70-300mm AF-P is an excellent lens, and much better than the older AF-S version.

If I want to use a big camera, I have the GX680. I have two actually :ROTFL:

Photon42

Because I define the quality of a photo by the story it tells and the skill of the photographer. Unfortunately also, and this is due to the nature of digital photography, but also the nature of our digital reality in general, the sheer number of photos produced and published today make no photo stand out. If you ask me to mention a news photo from the last ten years that really stands out, I have problems giving you an answer. From the time before digital, I could give you a long list.

Most things that are produced in large numbers, art and non-art, become ordinary and forgetable. If it's a photo or a Swatch or a TV-Show. Lucille Ball, Fawlty Towers and David Letterman are burnt into my memory. I could quote John Cleese any day. Now there are a zillion channels and "TV personalities", and they all look and sound the same. I see photos of these "celebrities" on the internet, and whenever I try to figure out what they did to become famous, there doesn't seem to be an answer.

Take animation, another art that is being destroyed by technological perfection and production volume. It used to be an art form, and the signature of the artist or the studio could be identified by just watching the cartoon. Now they are getting increasingly technologically perfect and "they all look the same".

During a visit to Myanmar with some European friends, one of them asked while watching an electrician climbing an electric pole wearing his traditional longyi, which a large number of Burmese men still do, why on earth he didn't wear "jeans or something", like any sensible man does. It's as if we are being trained to become ordinary and to treat whatever stands out with suspicion, be it a photo or a person. Quantity is good, quality is bad. Mao Zedong would love this world.

The F6 stands out for its qualities and because of the simple fact that after 15 years on the market, it hasn't been improved or replaced. I would actually like to see an upgrade, so that it could handle the latest F-mount lenses. Like the 58mm f/1.4, which would be great to use with film. But there are other lenses that work fine, so no worries. To me, the fact that Nikon bothers to produce the F6, and that they developed and launched it in the first place, is a good reason to support that company. Unfortunately, most people don't care. History and tradition are out of fashion, and many of those who claim to respect and represent history and tradition don't have a clue.

Yes, if I can find enough money I'll buy it again, preferably a new one this time. But money is always scarce, and there are kids around here who need the money more than I do. They need my money for their education and their future. I just "need" another piece of aluminium and plastic to fondle. So maybe I won't. I can still dream though :)

The F6 handles the 58/1.4 just fine. No limitations. The AFS Noct Nikkor for the masses still uses the traditional lever for aperture control. It was actually the AFS lens I bought after getting the DF in late 2013. It seems a bit controversial but I really do like it a lot. A bit dreamy at 1.4 but really sharp from 2.2 onwards.

As to Nikon as a company, they just feel more like a camera company to me, as for example Canon. Sony isn't even on the plate. Remember the introduction of S3 and SP cameras in the early 2000s. At that time, every penny went into kids and family and I took pictures with an FM2 I bought new in 1982 (still own it - just figured out this winter how to de-block the flipped up mirror so it is operational again).

On your thoughts on quantity and quality, I would think they can go hand in hand. I am absolutely amazed my the quality of some mass products, one being (to get back to the subject) the F6. It feels immensely dense, and while it sounds really odd, it feels more refined and perfect than even my F2.

There is one thing with the F6 I did not quite figured out yet. While high speed sync works with a Nikon flash (SB600, CLS), I cannot get any other trigger to work beyond 1/250. And yes, the max sync speed (e1) is set to 1/250FP. Any pointers appreciated.

Photon42

That's interesting. Many complain about AF problems that are serious enough to make them give up. I agree that it's not a big problem though, and if I buy an F6 again, it would probably be with Tamron lenses, 35 or 45mm, 85mm and possibly the new 35-150mm. Stabilised primes plus film should be a good fit :)

Do you know if the AF-P lenses will work? Apparently, the 70-300mm AF-P is an excellent lens, and much better than the older AF-S version.

If I want to use a big camera, I have the GX680. I have two actually :ROTFL:
Are you sure the Tamron 85 works with no limitations? Not sure it still has the aperture lever. Plus - I am unsure what stabilisation means to the batteries. I like mit F6 naked (no battery pack).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Are you sure the Tamron 85 works with no limitations? Not sure it still has the aperture lever. Plus - I am unsure what stabilisation means to the batteries. I like mit F6 naked (no battery pack).
You are right. It has an electromagnetic diaphragm. That's a pity. Yes, battery would have been a worry. On the F80, I have a battery grip that takes AA batteries, but it's small and not really a vertical grip. The F6 becomes rather large with the grip.

The Tamron is the only 85mm with stabilisation, isn't it? An alternative is of course the Micro Nikkor 105mm VR, but it's so bulky, and it's only f/2.8. With the F80, I'm currently using a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF (non D). Optically it's fine, but AF is so slow I have to ask people to take another coffee while they're waiting to get in focus. It's also hopeless to focus manually due to lack of precission.

The simplest solution is of course any of the newer Nikkor 85mm lenses, or the old 105mm f/2. Think, think... no hurry :)

The 35-150mm also has electromagnetic diaphragm :(

Last edited:

Elderly

NO :grin:

I'm relectant to take the subject of the F6 Off Topic (although why this is not in 'Analogue Cameras' .......?).

But briefly - I'm not talking about the masses, I'm talking about YOU and your excellent creative output.

And as somebody who has worked quite alot with Cleese ....... my experience is not for publication here :p

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
NO :grin:

I'm relectant to take the subject of the F6 Off Topic (although why this is not in 'Analogue Cameras' .......?).

But briefly - I'm not talking about the masses, I'm talking about YOU and your excellent creative output.

And as somebody who has worked quite alot with Cleese ....... my experience is not for publication here :p
It's an interesting distinction that... in front of the computer, but how can I be behind the keyboard then? Sorry for being a Norwegian.

When I used the Olympus OM-1 for 30 years, it was partly because I couldn't afford to upgrade. Cameras were expensive, even second hand ones. Nowadays, the value of 5 year old digital cameras is approaching zero. I have just been offered an unused set with a black Olympus E-M5 and the 12-40mm f/2.8, some kind of collector's edition, for the value of the lens. I'm buying it of course. I need the lens, and I need an extra body since my GM5 is dying. It doesn't matter if I take photos with a 5 year old E-M5 or the latest, greatest from Nikon or Canon or Sony. My photos will still look the same.

The F6 is different. The F6 froze the time at 2004 level. Still, it's the best, most advanced film camera ever. Still, some of us believe it's the best Nikon ever. Compare that to the D2X that was launched the same year, sharing many of the same components. I have one, a D2Xs. Even 6-7 years after its release, you could buy the D2X for 10-15% of its original price, which is what I did. A 15 year old used F6 sells for 30-50% of its original price, and prices are stable.

Both cameras, and the E-M5 that I'm about to buy, produce excellent, or even world class, results in the hands of a skilled photographer. Still, we are chasing new, more advanced technology. Why? For what? Where's the gain, the bottom line?

The most famous, the most iconic and the most copied photo ever, Alberto Korda's photo of Che Guevara, is one of two frames of the same motive on that roll taken with his Leica. No technology can change that, no 50 frames per second and no ISO one million. Because regardless of technology, you have to be at the right spot at the right time, point your camera in the right direction, frame the photo and push the shutter release at the right moment. 20 clean, perfect colour, digital frames taken too early or too late will always be outshined by one perfectly timed and framed shot on Tri-X or HP5 taken with an old Leica or an F6. It's not the technology, it's the photographer.

Do I sound frustrated? I probably am. Because we are replacing skills with computers and automation and because we are spending time and money developing technology that we don't need, while there are people who lack food and healthcare and the ice on Greenland is melting.

I saw an interview with an extremely clever, but also rather arrogant, British photographer, David Yarrow, the other day. He claims that he takes a single digit number of good photos per year. He uses some advanced gear of course, D5 with remote controls and whatnot, but I don't really think it matters. It's his skills, his attitude and his resources that make it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcVRe9X5Prs

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@ Jorgen,

well the issue is that IMO most of us in this forum cannot even somehow compare ourselves with David Yarrow. And if it is mostly because we all have (or are forced into) totally different lifestyles and concepts of life.

Comparing our selves with such people will always end up in frustration ....

Just my 5c ...

Thorkil

The most famous, the most iconic and the most copied photo ever, Alberto Korda's photo of Che Guevara, is one of two frames of the same motive on that roll taken with his Leica. No technology can change that, no 50 frames per second and no ISO one million. Because regardless of technology, you have to be at the right spot at the right time, point your camera in the right direction, frame the photo and push the shutter release at the right moment. 20 clean, perfect colour, digital frames taken too early or too late will always be outshined by one perfectly timed and framed shot on Tri-X or HP5 taken with an old Leica or an F6. It's not the technology, it's the photographer.

..and it was hanging on my wall too over my bed as teenager at the time I was driving 4 cylindered Nimbus to Gymnasium, without driving license (too young to get it - shame on me)..
but I would claim, not only the photographer..also a bit of luck, will have to be within..and being out in the spots and being ready for luck to drop by

Photon42

..and it was hanging on my wall too over my bed as teenager at the time I was driving 4 cylindered Nimbus to Gymnasium, without driving license (too young to get it - shame on me)..
which possibly was the excuse you have to the officer ... :ROTFL:

Thorkil

...we are replacing skills with computers and automation and because we are spending time and money developing technology that we don't need, while there are people who lack food and healthcare and the ice on Greenland is melting...
Jørgen...you are right..we are fugitives from reality..but its hard to save the world alone (dispite..even though we ought to try - the politicians ought to do the job, but they don't)
I would happily have kept my M6 with the 21Elmarit2.8 on, and just that, and perhaps I would have ended up taking several more happy pictures that I have done by keeping up with technology and whatever the internet claim that I need.
And I sit surrounded by gear, that I in reality might not need, cutting it into the bones...(and you are right, our consumption is melting the ice, cameras, cars, houses, luxury-production etc. - and by cars, one really don't need more than an VW Up, if anyone at all)
If all agree, I can cut it down to my Z7 + the 24-70/4S (+ perhaps the 14-30...eehh and perhaps the upcoming 20/1.8S...and...no, no :facesmack: perhaps just the Z7+20/1.8S could do it...)