The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EN EL 15b - a case of fake batteries.

robdeszan

Just a heads up on what seems to be a global issue.

People appear to receive problematic = fake (?) batteries.

They tend to give a "Shutter Release Disabled:Recharge battery" error message despite being charged and only charging to (according to the battery info in the camera's menu) 96% with anywhere from 20-100 shots already taken, where they should show "0 shots taken" following a full charging cycle. No such issues with the one that came bundled with the camera.

Mine started giving me the same message so upon a closer examination I realized that there are some subtle discrepancies in label print quality, letter spacing, hologram etc. indicating a possible fake. Pretty obvious once you look at them side by side and know what to look for but otherwise easily missed. It came from a reputable online retailer in the UK so it didn't even cross my mind to check. Interestingly, people get those from Adorama as well for example.

The top battery came with the camera, the bottom is the problematic one :

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/robdeszan/albums/fake-nikon-batteries

*Nikon's support just confirmed it is fake as well.

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

This is indeed strange...

I usually purchase an extra battery with each new camera, but in the case of the Z6 I decided to use the extra battery I purchased for the D810. Once this issue is settled I will probably get an extra EN-EL-15b since I can also use it on the D810.

Crikeys

Just a heads up on what seems to be a global issue.

People appear to receive problematic = fake (?) batteries.

They tend to give a "Shutter Release Disabled:Recharge battery" error message despite being charged and only charging to (according to the battery info in the camera's menu) 96% with anywhere from 20-100 shots already taken, where they should show "0 shots taken" following a full charging cycle. No such issues with the one that came bundled with the camera.

Mine started giving me the same message so upon a closer examination I realized that there are some subtle discrepancies in label print quality, letter spacing, hologram etc. indicating a possible fake. Pretty obvious once you look at them side by side and know what to look for but otherwise easily missed. It came from a reputable online retailer in the UK so it didn't even cross my mind to check. Interestingly, people get those from Adorama as well for example.

The top battery came with the camera, the bottom is the problematic one :

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/robdeszan/albums/fake-nikon-batteries

*Nikon's support just confirmed it is fake as well.

Hi,

Yes, I just bought 2 of these fake batteries from Ebay which had an Australian address in the add but came from China. They used Australia Post and put that the item was a headset as Australia post doesn't allow batteries in the mail.

Ebay shut down their account 1 day after they sent me the batteries. Once I discovered they were fake, Ebay refunded me and they said keep the batteries. Interestingly, my 2 fake batteries had the same serial/lot number as the one you had in the photo. I have attached the evidence I sent Ebay. You can see that the fakes are 6 grams lighter and the fakes don't have the letter D under the + symbol.

Fake serial numbers.jpgFake 1.jpgFake 2.jpgOriginal (with o on it).jpgOriginal D.JPGFake 1 no D.JPGFake 2 no D.JPG

robdeszan

Yep, looks familiar. Thanks for the info and I hope you'll get your money back!

Interestingly, BHPhotoVideo are replacing these sub-par batteries as well, see here

It looks like a possible supply chain issue, perhaps.

robdeszan

The product is real and continues to be sold; it was a large number of fake batteries that seem to have somehow made their way to mainstream distribution I think.

A closer inspection showed that they bore all the markings of a typical counterfeit product, really. There's a Nikon article on their website re fake batteries (last updated in 2016 though).

I picked a spare one the other day from a local shop, taking with me the one that came with my camera to make sure they are identical/genuine. All good, unique serial no as well.

dave.gt

The product is real and continues to be sold; it was a large number of fake batteries that seem to have somehow made their way to mainstream distribution I think.

A closer inspection showed that they bore all the markings of a typical counterfeit product, really. There's a Nikon article on their website re fake batteries (last updated in 2016 though).

I picked a spare one the other day from a local shop, taking with me the one that came with my camera to make sure they are identical/genuine. All good, unique serial no as well.
The only flag that concerns me is reference to BH Photo. The post above indicates they are aware of fake batteries that were advertised on their website days ago. And yet, the same ad remains on their site.

After the holiday weekend, we shall see if that gets sorted out. I hope.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There's a solution to this:
Buy the battery at a reputable local store that buys their stuff from Nikon and nobody else unless it has somebody else's logo on it. Unfortunatly, most people are so busy writing on the internet about how they were cheated by some online store that they don't have time to visit camera shops anymore :loco: :LOL:

And if there are no local camera stores anymore, there are reasons for that...

routlaw

FWIW, I also bought a second "NIKON" battery (local dealer) with my Z7 and have not experienced any of these issues… yet. I also swap the D810 batteries back and forth with the Z7 and D810 with no issues what so ever thus far. I'm lucky in that we have an awesome dealer here in my area.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

dave.gt

There's a solution to this:
Buy the battery at a reputable local store that buys their stuff from Nikon and nobody else unless it has somebody else's logo on it. Unfortunatly, most people are so busy writing on the internet about how they were cheated by some online store that they don't have time to visit camera shops anymore :loco: :LOL:

And if there are no local camera stores anymore, there are reasons for that...
Well, there are zero stocked camera stores in Atlanta now. So we rely on internet sales like BH Photo. It has been a few years since the big store, Showcase, bit the dust and outside of a used equipment camera store, I have no idea where to find a brick and mortar camera store in our huge city.:(...

I am surprised BH Photo has allegedly gotten involved in purchasing "fake" batteries (who did they purchase them from?) and still wondering why they have the same ad online.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I have no interest in getting in my car and sit and drive half an hour or more just to find a store with a battery or lens or whatever. I can think of 100 more interesting ways to spend my time off work than running around stores looking for something. Thank goodness those days are long gone.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have no interest in getting in my car and sit and drive half an hour or more just to find a store with a battery or lens or whatever. I can think of 100 more interesting ways to spend my time off work than running around stores looking for something. Thank goodness those days are long gone.
... while I enjoy my more or less monthly trips to the store, having a cup of coffee with friendly camera nerds, getting updated on sales and buying stuff I need... like batteries.

Interestingly, Bangkok has hundreds of camera stores, most of them boring chain stores. There are however a few dozen independent stores with qualified, enthusiastic staff and a good selection of gear. I'm sure I could save a few bucks buying my gear online, and I do if it's not available here, but interacting with real people is an important part of my life, so I do that. I'm sure all you guys on this forum are really nice people, but reality is that to me, you're just dots on a computer screen, just like I am to you.

dave.gt

Well, it is what it is... here we have a cool camera store that has been in business forever dealing mostly in used gear, equipment and accessories. A great place run by a great family. Many times we stop by there to look around and talk, needing only a place to sit and have a cup of coffee. There is at least one other store that sells and rents equipment... but I have never dealt with them but once and I was not impressed with their stock.

So, I looked at BH Photo today for a battery for the D850. I am still confused if the EN-EL15b battery works with the D850 but I did see this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...MI_ofTo_G74gIVjGrBCh3log2DEAEYASAFEgJ0ffD_BwE

Has anyone used this battery? :bugeyes:

The price is SO LOW!!! Is it too good to be true?:loco: