The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware Update 2.0 for Z6 and Z7 Now Available

JohnBrew

Thanks for posting this, Darin. The download went well and I like idea of the
“auto”setting for the shutter but haven’t tried it yet.
For some reason Nikon never notified me.

Darin Marcus

Thanks for posting this, Darin. The download went well and I like idea of the
“auto”setting for the shutter but haven’t tried it yet.
For some reason Nikon never notified me.
You’re welcome!

I haven’t used EFCS much on my Z6. From what I am reading on other sites, some people are not happy that the Auto setting switches to mechanical if the shutter speed becomes faster than 1/250 sec instead of the expected 1/2000 sec. Not sure what was the reason Nikon chose this particular value...

I actually got an email around noon today from Nikon USA about the new firmware, as well as info about some of their cameras/lenses on sale. I started getting a ton of emails from them about a month ago, with info ranging from new releases, equipment on sale, to help/tutorial videos and articles :)

SrMphoto

You’re welcome!

I haven’t used EFCS much on my Z6. From what I am reading on other sites, some people are not happy that the Auto setting switches to mechanical if the shutter speed becomes faster than 1/250 sec instead of the expected 1/2000 sec. Not sure what was the reason Nikon chose this particular value...

I actually got an email around noon today from Nikon USA about the new firmware, as well as info about some of their cameras/lenses on sale. I started getting a ton of emails from them about a month ago, with info ranging from new releases, equipment on sale, to help/tutorial videos and articles :)
Nikon's 1/2000 EFCS limit is because you cannot shoot faster with EFCS, not because it makes sense to use EFCS up to 1/2000.
AFAIK, nobody has yet investigated if it makes sense to switch from EFCS to mechanical shutter at > 1/250.

Paul2660

Update went OK, no issues.

Eye detect seem to have a range, or maybe it wants a longer focal range. With the 24-70 F4, @ 28mm, I found I had to be very close to the subject within say 7 feet, where as @ 70mm the distance seemed to be more in the 10 to 15 foot range.

@24mm if the eye detect won't make the small boxes around the subject eyes, you still get very good face detect.

Overall a nice update.

Paul C

rayyan

Does the Firmware update address the issues some Z6 owners have been having with IBIS ( or something ). Nikon put an advisory out, I read.

Thorkil