The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z 14-30

biglouis

Does anyone own this lens yet and do they have any sample photographs to show. Or views on the lens?

This lens alone makes the Z series a lot more interesting to me for a variety of reasons.

LouisB

jlancasterd

Does anyone own this lens yet and do they have any sample photographs to show. Or views on the lens?

This lens alone makes the Z series a lot more interesting to me for a variety of reasons.

LouisB
Still waiting for mine. My usual supplier has had one so far. I believe I'm in line for the next one they get, when it eventually arrives.

Thorkil

LouisB
Yes :)
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/23306-fun-nikon-images-272.html#post786358
and also the two, too dark perhaps, photos here
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/23306-fun-nikon-images-272.html#post788194
and
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/23306-fun-nikon-images-272.html#post788167

it is good, its small, just as small as the 24-70/4 kitlens (which is definitely more than just a kitlens...meaning, if you go, do take the kitlens with you while this is amazing),
and its very good, but its not supported by C1 so I cant judge it finally. But Phase One promised me that it will be supported soon. But soon is not soon enough, it seems, to me.
But its not as good as the Tamron 15-30/2.8 VC which is absolutely stellar, even better than the nikkor 14-24, but the tammy is huge and heavy,
so the 14-30/4S is the ideal walk-around lens, compared.
best thorkil

ptomsu

Workshop Member

LouisB
This would be one of the lenses why I also would go into that system. Still waiting what the overall future brings for the Z-mount (lenses as well as AF).

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Yes :)
it is good, its small, just as small as the 24-70/4 kitlens (which is definitely more than just a kitlens...meaning, if you go, do take the kitlens with you while this is amazing),
and its very good, but its not supported by C1 so I cant judge it finally
The 24-70/4 is indeed an excellent lens; it's a better lens my 24-70/2.8G which is also an excellent lens. It's also MUCH smaller and the perfect companion for the Z7. I didn't buy it as part of a kit though, instead I picked one up used. You know, it's "only" a kit lens and the used markets are always flooded with kit lenses. If you hunt and haggle a bit you can probably find one LNIB for $450. At those prices things like warranties don't matter, durability is unimportant (get a second one and toss in your luggage), and with the huge supply you can always find a replacement.

The 14-30/4 is another home run IMO. Looks like a small step up from the 14-24 on the wide end, while massively smaller, lighter, and more versatile. I've had the 14-30 backordered with B&H for a month now though and have no idea when I'll get one... But, I'm not in a hurry.

routlaw

Just yesterday I was able to nab one of these lenses at our local camera store, the only one they had available. Thus far I've only had time to experiment with it in our backyard so nothing serious yet. However my initial reaction is quite positive so far. Most of what I have shot with it has been at F8 exclusively on a Z7 camera.

I'll submit some images later if I can get away to photograph something of importance.

Thanks

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Received mine today - and it runs circles around my 14-24/2.8G. It easily outresolves the Z7 at center, wide open at f/4, and even at 14mm f/4 the corners are very good. Field curvature is modest enough that I didn't spot any off-hand, but it did seem to benefit from actually focus at the corners (not sure if they curve towards or away from the camera). The 14-24G of course has strong field curvature away from the camera at the wide end, which can make obtaining sufficient depth of field challenging. This is significantly improved on the 14-30. I'll try to take it for a spin tomorrow...

jlancasterd

I finally got my copy of this lens two days ago, and gave it a work out around the Ffestiniog Railway's Boston Lodge Works this morning. It promises to be extremely useful for photography in the more cramped parts of the Works and the depth of field and sharpness at 14mm and f8 is remarkable (see below). Definitely a lens that was worth waiting for!

The FR is currently engaged in enlarging its carriage storage sheds and the photo shows 'work in progress'.

Old Carriage Shed 26-6-19.jpg

Last edited:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Very positively, the 14-30S will accept a B+W XS-Pro Kaesemann polarizer - with zero vignetting at the wide end.

Rather incredible, actually! I had totally expected a bit of barrel vignetting at the extreme corners, but nope - even at 14mm f/16, not a trace of field impingement.

jlancasterd

This lens does exactly what I hoped it would. This image was taken from the only possible viewpoint, about three feet from the closest corner of the carriage in fairly poor light (my back was hard up against a wall). 14mm, f11, 1/20 sec, ISO 3200. Developed and squared up in Lightroom.

The subject is a 15" gauge saloon built by the Ffestiniog Railway's Boston Lodge Carriage Works for the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway in Cumbria.

R&ER saloon 19-08 rgb.jpg

jlancasterd

^ super picture! and impressive sharpness handhold!
thorkil
IBIS really seems to work well on the Z6, I'm happy to go down to at least 1/15 sec, hand held.

Equally impressive is the image quality at ISO 3200 - no smoothing has been applied in this image - I always shoot RAW and adjust highlights, shadows, etc', in Lightroom

jlancasterd

Another 14mm shot from earlier today. ISO1800, f11, 1/20 sec.

19th Century Blacksmiths' Shop at Boston Lodge in process of conservation for future use as part of an interpretation centre for early railway engineering.

Blacksmiths' Shop interior 19-08 RBG.jpg

DougDolde

Those shots look really good. I am only a prime lens user myself, 20mm, 28mm. 85mm so far. But on the D850 not the Z which I don't think has those primes yet. Well they do have the 85mm prime but its my least used focal length..

KeithL

Those shots look really good. I am only a prime lens user myself, 20mm, 28mm. 85mm so far. But on the D850 not the Z which I don't think has those primes yet. Well they do have the 85mm prime but its my least used focal length..
50+ years with camera in hand and the 14-30 is the first zoom I've ever used, let alone owned.

Love it!

jlancasterd

I love this lens.

This shot was taken at 16.5mm, 1/20 sec, f9.5, ISO 1100, hand held, in a fairly restricted space.

The subject is the Ffestiniog Railway's 1872-built bogie tri-composite carriage No.15. The first iron-framed bogie carriage in Britain (and possibly the world). It's in the Carriage Works at Boston Lodge for minor repairs and a complete repaint. It was given a full restoration about 20 years ago, paid for by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The current work, which will involve a large amount of gold-leaf lining, amongst other embellishments, is necessary to make good the wear and tear of fairly regular use on public trains during the height of the summer tourist season every year since then. I'll make a note to post a photo of it when the restoration work is finished.

No.15 04-09 RGB.jpg

Last edited:

jlancasterd

Trawling through my 'back catalogue' I found the image shown below. Taken with a Fuji S1 in August 2001on the day No.15 emerged from its complete refurbishment. The image quality is awful by 2019 standards, but adequate to show what it will look like after its current overhaul

No.15 08-2001 RGB.jpg.

jlancasterd

As promised, a shot of the newly-repainted No.15 when it emerged from the Carriage Works this afternoon. The repaint has cost around £18,000 ($23,000) because of the large amount of gold leaf lining around each of the recessed panels, and the skilled labour involved. However it is expected that, thanks to improved undercover storage when the carriage isn't in use on passenger trains, it will be at least thirty years before it needs repainting again. Z6, 14-30 f4 at 21mm, f8, 1/500, ISO 125

No.15 16-10 RGB.jpg