The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z35/1.8S blows the Sigma 35/1.4 Art away

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Referring to Photographylife its not only a killer, it has the best performance their team has seen so far from a 35mm lens
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-z-35mm-f1-8-s/3
the Nikon Z35/1.8S leaves Sigma 35/1.4Art, the Nikon FX 35/1.8G and /1.4G completely in the dust sharpnesswise
best thorkil
It's a good thing I don't own any of the 35mm lenses mentioned, since they'd all be killed, preventing me from enjoying them in the future...:ROTFL:

Den som kun tar spøg for spøg...

Last edited:

Thorkil

It's a good thing I don't own any of the 35mm lenses mentioned them, since they'd all be killed, preventing me from enjoying them in the future...:ROTFL:

Den som kun tar spøg for spøg...
yes, life would then just have become a complete misery:grin: - by the way, neither do I, but I do own the Z35/1.8S, but I dont use it - but for now I perhaps ought to use it more (have too many fine lenses with the same problem, they ought to just be used :lecture:)

Photon42

I bought mine last winter and I absolutely adore the rendering of that lens. If you want a 35, look no further. This is it.

robdeszan

The tests give very little insight into the character, or more importantly, lack of any character. Sharpness is overrated and sterility plagues modern designs, in my opinion. Especially making the bokeh very contrasty thorough overcorrection.

Does any one have a comparison of the sigma and the Nikon s lens?

The latter also has baked in lens profiles with corrections applied by default.

I bought mine last winter and I absolutely adore the rendering of that lens. If you want a 35, look no further. This is it.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Today I had a Nikon test shoot with the Z6 and Z7. Among other lenses I also tested the S 1.8 50. What a stellar lens.It easily b away even Leica designs WRT sharpness, resolution and micro contrast. I guess the S 1.8 35 is no different.

I think Nikon has the winner design with their new Z mount as this allows for extremely good corrected and perfect lens designs from the very beginning. I will not even consider any Sigma whatever lens design any longer :thumbs:

robdeszan

That's reassuring, at least on a technical level, however, Nikon's 1.8 50mm afs is also sharper and more contrasty than the pro 1.4 equivalent (or even the 58mm 1.4) and yet the former leaves me feeling "meeh"... I am getting a similar vibe from the S lenses based on Flickr examples so far hence the question.

Feel free to agree/disagree bu there's more to an optical design than absolute sharpness or contrast. Let's not forget we also have baked-in software corrections as well in the S lenses to hide the optical design flaws or shortcuts.

A rendering comparison with the same subject, in the same light, at the same aperture would be amazing.