Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon Z35/1.8S blows the Sigma 35/1.4 Art away

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon Z35/1.8S blows the Sigma 35/1.4 Art away

Referring to Photographylife its not only a killer, it has the best performance their team has seen so far from a 35mm lens
    https://photographylife.com/reviews/...-35mm-f1-8-s/3
    the Nikon Z35/1.8S leaves Sigma 35/1.4Art, the Nikon FX 35/1.8G and /1.4G completely in the dust sharpnesswise
    best thorkil
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon Z35/1.8S blows the Sigma 35/1.4 Art away

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Referring to Photographylife its not only a killer, it has the best performance their team has seen so far from a 35mm lens
    https://photographylife.com/reviews/...-35mm-f1-8-s/3
    the Nikon Z35/1.8S leaves Sigma 35/1.4Art, the Nikon FX 35/1.8G and /1.4G completely in the dust sharpnesswise
    best thorkil
    It's a good thing I don't own any of the 35mm lenses mentioned, since they'd all be killed, preventing me from enjoying them in the future...

Den som kun tar spøg for spøg...
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 8th June 2019 at 05:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It's a good thing I don't own any of the 35mm lenses mentioned them, since they'd all be killed, preventing me from enjoying them in the future...

Den som kun tar spøg for spøg...
    yes, life would then just have become a complete misery - by the way, neither do I, but I do own the Z35/1.8S, but I dont use it - but for now I perhaps ought to use it more (have too many fine lenses with the same problem, they ought to just be used )

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine last winter and I absolutely adore the rendering of that lens. If you want a 35, look no further. This is it.
    My Gallery
    Instagram
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The tests give very little insight into the character, or more importantly, lack of any character. Sharpness is overrated and sterility plagues modern designs, in my opinion. Especially making the bokeh very contrasty thorough overcorrection.

Does any one have a comparison of the sigma and the Nikon s lens?

The latter also has baked in lens profiles with corrections applied by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
    I bought mine last winter and I absolutely adore the rendering of that lens. If you want a 35, look no further. This is it.

Post Thanks / Like

Today I had a Nikon test shoot with the Z6 and Z7. Among other lenses I also tested the S 1.8 50. What a stellar lens.It easily b away even Leica designs WRT sharpness, resolution and micro contrast. I guess the S 1.8 35 is no different.

I think Nikon has the winner design with their new Z mount as this allows for extremely good corrected and perfect lens designs from the very beginning. I will not even consider any Sigma whatever lens design any longer
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's reassuring, at least on a technical level, however, Nikon's 1.8 50mm afs is also sharper and more contrasty than the pro 1.4 equivalent (or even the 58mm 1.4) and yet the former leaves me feeling "meeh"... I am getting a similar vibe from the S lenses based on Flickr examples so far hence the question.

Feel free to agree/disagree bu there's more to an optical design than absolute sharpness or contrast. Let's not forget we also have baked-in software corrections as well in the S lenses to hide the optical design flaws or shortcuts.

A rendering comparison with the same subject, in the same light, at the same aperture would be amazing.