The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sorry - Phase One sold to a Capital fund for 150 mio. US

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
hopefully nothing, both in the short run, and in the future. But I fear the future, because perhaps, even though I don't know the company inside, there could be a risk for the "united-spirit" to leave,
and that could be followed by a decrease, and that the most importent people could be in risk leaving. But it depends on how the mood will go on, but with the new owners I fear...
but of course one must give it a chance, the possibility tgo be possitive surprised, but...time itself are the hard judge
There will always be changes, regardless of who the owners are. When it comes to equity funds, they will look to optimising the company for their own purposes, which will mostly be increased profits and imcreased value for future sale of the company. Equity investors are rarely in it for the long term.

My guess is that they'll consentrate increasingly on the software part, since that is where the growth has been strongest lately and because that means not having to compete directly with clever Asians, at least for now. How that will affect P1's customers, only the future will show. I'm sure the money guys have a plan.

Thorkil

No worries from me. It is just disorienting when I click on the Nikon Forum and see Phase One, as a business, being discussed. Phase One is of course, MFD and it just seems an odd thread for the Nikon forum.:)

As an aside, I was looking at your splendid "Deer in the Forest" images today. Again!

Whatever it took you to get those images, I only wish I could borrow the fortune that you used so well to capture them. Still loving them and I still have no idea which software you used, but keep doing what you are doing and share with us!!!:thumbup:

Thank you! I'm educated as a cityplanner as yourself, and beside that in the sparetime, I educated me as a building archtect concerning old houses mostly from around 1850 to 1950 - so no pro - and the only thing my brain could find out was Capture One from Phase One, not because it is danish, but because for my part its the only one that was so intuitiv that it was the most easy for me to deal with.
North of Copenhagen there is this little jewel, the deerpark
https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/deer-park-gdk414367
https://naturstyrelsen.dk/media/242944/dyrehaven_m65_dk_2018_web.pdf
established around 1670 so that the king could go hunting nearby Copenhagen (but these times are thankfully long gone)
and in the northern part of the area there are only few people and the most untouched nature, there you can find peace and in the fall also the big male deer who is fighting and some bathing in the mud.
There are around 2.000 deers of different sorts. And they shot around 600 every year to keep it down on a sustainable level (I called them to ask, if there were days when they didn't shot, while one day I was very close to the shot - but they are skilled hunters, and employed by the state, hit spot on every time (so you hear only one shot) and there has been no accident with visitors, so absolutely no need to be afraid)
Some of the lucky deershot was just: 50% sheer luck, 20% the FX 70-200/4, 20% the Z7 which is just so easy to deal with, and the rest 10% was just being ready. And just adjusted through Capture One Pro 12.
best Thorkil

dave.gt

Wow!!! A deerpark!!!! Thank you for that lovely background, I had no idea such a place existed and the history... very interesting and very cool.:)

Don't forget, the photographer's skill (yours) is not to be discounted, it is self-evident.:thumbup:

Ah, the mere thought of visiting Copenhagen is a wonderful to carry with me throughout the rest of the week.:), thank you for the motif of my daydreams.

There may be a time when I finally get around to C1, I really don't know as my plate is full and I have little time or energy left on the best of days. Of course, no one knows the future, so who can say that I will not cave in and find myself a C1 convert in the near future? Never say never...:)

Btw, looking forward to more of your work with the Z7!:salute:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you! I'm educated as a cityplanner as yourself, and beside that in the sparetime, I educated me as a building archtect concerning old houses mostly from around 1850 to 1950 - so no pro - and the only thing my brain could find out was Capture One from Phase One, not because it is danish, but because for my part its the only one that was so intuitiv that it was the most easy for me to deal with.
North of Copenhagen there is this little jewel, the deerpark
https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/deer-park-gdk414367
https://naturstyrelsen.dk/media/242944/dyrehaven_m65_dk_2018_web.pdf
established around 1670 so that the king could go hunting nearby Copenhagen (but these times are thankfully long gone)
and in the northern part of the area there are only few people and the most untouched nature, there you can find peace and in the fall also the big male deer who is fighting and some bathing in the mud.
There are around 2.000 deers of different sorts. And they shot around 600 every year to keep it down on a sustainable level (I called them to ask, if there were days when they didn't shot, while one day I was very close to the shot - but they are skilled hunters, and employed by the state, hit spot on every time (so you hear only one shot) and there has been no accident with visitors, so absolutely no need to be afraid)
Some of the lucky deershot was just: 50% sheer luck, 20% the FX 70-200/4, 20% the Z7 which is just so easy to deal with, and the rest 10% was just being ready. And just adjusted through Capture One Pro 12.
best Thorkil
Now you made me want to go to Copenhagen. I used to stay in Tårbæk during holidays when I was a kid, and later I've had many unforgettable lunches at Strandmøllekro, my favourite "kro" in Denmark. Time for a trip to Denmark I think...

f8orbust

Well, all ethics aside for a moment, it looks like Silverfleet made almost 5x what they paid for P1, so I guess it made sense from their end.

The one thing I did notice in the press release was Silverfleet pushing how they had taken P1 from '... a hardware to [a] software-centric business ...' - maybe that hints at the future direction in which P1's headed ?

Jim

Thorkil

Now you made me want to go to Copenhagen. I used to stay in Tårbæk during holidays when I was a kid, and later I've had many unforgettable lunches at Strandmøllekro, my favourite "kro" in Denmark. Time for a trip to Denmark I think...
Yes I do remember your Tårbæk :) and Mogens and Mette Holm :)
On behalf of the danes, you shall be very welcome Jørgen.
Perhaps we can meet :)
best thorkil
PS. Strandmøllekroen is not what it used to be.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yes I do remember your Tårbæk :) and Mogens and Mette Holm :)
On behalf of the danes, you shall be very welcome Jørgen.
Perhaps we can meet :)
best thorkil
PS. Strandmøllekroen is not what it used to be.
I'll have a long look at my calendar. Would be nice to meet.

Sorry to hear about Strandmøllekro. Their sildeplatte was sensational, a complete meal, with lots of beer and aquavit needed to help digesting the stuff.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, all ethics aside for a moment, it looks like Silverfleet made almost 5x what they paid for P1, so I guess it made sense from their end.

The one thing I did notice in the press release was Silverfleet pushing how they had taken P1 from '... a hardware to [a] software-centric business ...' - maybe that hints at the future direction in which P1's headed ?

Jim
Exactly :lecture:

With the latest releases from Fuji and Hasselblad, they are in for a tough battle in any case. This will be interesting to follow.

Thorkil

I'll have a long look at my calendar. Would be nice to meet.

Sorry to hear about Strandmøllekro. Their sildeplatte was sensational, a complete meal, with lots of beer and aquavit needed to help digesting the stuff.
:D
Yes it would :)
In july I'm in Italy.
I think Strandmøllekroen is more or less for arranged private party's now.
The old time where people just dropped by, with life and activ mood seems to be gone.
Sort of the same matter as we discussed about stores. We stay home too much in the socalled develloped countrys.
When one look at the photos from Vivian Maier, or your photos in your region, thats a totally different scene, full of life in the streets and everywhere.
Perhaps because of small apartments previously or minor interesting or "poor homes" that forced people to take part in the public life?.
So perhaps "developed" sometimes is becoming a rather undeveloped stage?