The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z7 EVF

jdphoto

After using the Z7 for many months I have to say it's probably the best digital camera i've ever used. That includes all digital Leica, Hasselblad and Fuji cameras I've shot with. They're all good cameras, but the Z has just enough of everything for my style that make it my favorite...for now. However, I've noticed a few times when looking through the EVF, it sometimes looks wildly overexposed when half pressing the shutter. It's only intermittent and probably only just a handful of times, but was curious if this is something others shooting with the Z6/7 noticed in the EVF? Perhaps a firmware bug/issue?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
After using the Z7 for many months I have to say it's probably the best digital camera i've ever used. That includes all digital Leica, Hasselblad and Fuji cameras I've shot with. They're all good cameras, but the Z has just enough of everything for my style that make it my favorite...for now. However, I've noticed a few times when looking through the EVF, it sometimes looks wildly overexposed when half pressing the shutter. It's only intermittent and probably only just a handful of times, but was curious if this is something others shooting with the Z6/7 noticed in the EVF? Perhaps a firmware bug/issue?
I have it sometimes on my Panasonic cameras, the GM5 (where it has become permanent and not worthwhile repairing) and the oldest GX8 body. I haven't had it on anything as new as a Z7 though.

No, I've never had it on a camera with an optical viewfinder (I had to say it, didn't I :ROTFL: ).

JohnBrew

Yes, i’ve noticed it also, but it’s such a momentary thing that I ignore it. It doesn’t get in the way of my shooting but might bother some to distraction.
And, yes, I feel certain Nikon will address it if there are enough complaints.

routlaw

I've not seen this myself… yet anyway, but have only had this camera a month or two and mostly inside studio photography with a couple of short field trips.

Thanks

Thorkil

I havn't noticed it before, but just checked it out now. In lowlight in a splitsecond, if you are inside a house and point it towards a ceiling that is very weak illuminated and there are some small upligts with much stronger daylight, yes then it sort of flashes the highlight in a tiny microsecond, while the text "low light" comes up in the top and disappear at once, after that millisecond it takes to do the light metering has gone. Nothing drastic, while I think one is tolerant to let the microsecond take place while metering, as it always will.
But its not a problem I think. And it won't spoil my agreement that it might be the best and nicest camera to make pictures and to handle, I have had in my life. Well perhaps despite the M6, or perhaps at equal level in the mood, but that unique M6-simplicity was filmbased and gone.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Yeah, the EVF blows out like nobody's business. I think this is by far the greatest weakness of the Z7. It sometimes doesn't work for composition at all, showing large blown-out regions where there's plenty of high key detail still, and a perfectly fine image. But you can't compose based on what you can't see.

Paul2660

I have not seen this, but only use M mode. What modes are others using that are seeing this? I have the EVF set to exposure simulation also, as unlike Phase One's attempt the Nikon exposure simulation works very well.

Paul C

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
It's not about mode but about dynamic range. The camera can capture a wider dynamic range than the viewfinder can display.

jdphoto

I only shoot in M mode, but when it happens, it is more than just highlights blowing. The entire EVF over exposes like it's been zapped by lightning. I always use "apply settings in live view" too, so I don't think it's the dynamic range vs EVF as Jan mentioned, but I'll certainly pay more attention next time. I'm confident a firmware tweak could remedy this, but it's not a distraction yet because it's so intermittent and milliseconds fast.

Paul2660

I will watch for it, I mainly use the LCD for shots since most time I have used the Z7 only on tripod. But will have it out a bunch in the next few days and will be using the EVF more.

Paul C