The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Along the Silk Road...

rayyan

Centuries ago, most countries of Central Asia were within the domain of the Soviet Empire.
And as such there was a lot of migration of Russian people into the Central Asian region.

One of the most significant migration was that of the Jewish folks who migrated into various countries of Central Asia and made it their home for generations.
This exodus continued well past the Stalin era.

However, after the break-up of the Soviet Union, a large majority of the Jewish settlers either returned to the Russian Federation or other countries in Europe and elsewhere.

Uzbekistan, even today, has a small Jewish community. Ayesha and I were honored to be invited into one of their homes. The welcome and generosity shown to us was overwhelming.

I came to know of a hotel in town, which previously was the residence of a very wealthy Jewish family settled centuries ago. Always occupied!!
But coming from where where I came from, the hotel owners were unbelievably welcoming to find me a place to stay for a few days!!

I jumped at the chance. Ayesha had had to leave to go to Tajikistan.

The house is a national heritage building, with the hotel built in front encompassing the house.

I was privileged to be shown inside the house, which is generally kept closed for preservation purposes.

You have seen images made with the iPhone from inside this house, posted earlier..without mention of the place.

Here, with the Df, are a few more images...just as the mosaic, the walls, the wood, etc. were centuries ago!!
Preserved with love and tender care....

Do take notice of the mosaics and the wall behind the bench!!
See the paint. Enduring to this day.

Such is what I had come to see.
The old. Time and place that the modern world has forgotten, for the most part.
Forgotten History. Lost in Time.