The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Weatherproof Nikon Cameras and Lenses?

dave.gt

Hello, my name is _____ and I am a single-digit D body addict.:) I am also delusional that a Nikon 200/2.0 will be in my future.

Until then, I dream of a D4, D5 and, of course, the D6, while using a D2x at the moment. I can't help it.:ROTFL: of course, my paltry collection of lenses are in bad need of additional fast, wide and telephoto focal lengths.

I have found over the past few years that I really prefer photography out of a studio setting and in inclement weather.:loco:

So, my question for today is weatherproofing regarding the single-digit D bodies and best lenses for landscape and action sports. Will I really go back to shooting field sports or even motorsports? I have no idea but I believe in being flexible. Regardless, the idea of having "waterproof" gear for landscape photography is attractive, having held my breath in the pouring rain too many times in the past.:)

Anyone have recommendations for which gear selections will be best?:thumbup:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As a former motor sports photographer, I've used most of my hi-end Nikon bodies in pouring rain, sometimes for hours. That includes D300, D2Xs, D700 and D810. Nikon has always been conservative when it comes to written statements about weather sealing. However, photos in their brochures tell a different story, and often show camera used in worse conditions than I would normally expose myself to. The F6 brochure is my favourite in that respect.

https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM9...-Tmc2LI1QzE2CCBOrQ==/PDF/1799_F6_brochure.pdf

I found a relatively new F6 blog btw., with lots of good information about my favourite camera:

https://yestheworldisyours.com/blogs/news/nikon-f6

Thorkil

well Dave, here comes the answer from Roger Cicala at Lens Rental:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/10/teardown-of-the-nikon-z7-mirrorless-camera/
Tearing down a Z7:
"This is engineering department weather resistance. Anything that can be sealed has been sealed.
I’m impressed, and I will say for future cut-and-paste blurbs: this is as robustly weather sealed a camera as we’ve ever disassembled."
and
"I’m not here to tell you which camera is best to use or has the best performance.
I’m just here to say this is a damn well-built camera, the best built mirrorless full-frame camera we’ve taken apart.
(For the record, I haven’t torn down a Leica SL.)"

So...there's only one thing left to do, Dave...throw everything you got in your hands away, and run to nearest Nikon-store, and don't leave before you got a Z7 or Z6 with you....
:grin::grin:
thorkil

dave.gt

well Dave, here comes the answer from Roger Cicala at Lens Rental:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/10/teardown-of-the-nikon-z7-mirrorless-camera/
Tearing down a Z7:
"This is engineering department weather resistance. Anything that can be sealed has been sealed.
I’m impressed, and I will say for future cut-and-paste blurbs: this is as robustly weather sealed a camera as we’ve ever disassembled."
and
"I’m not here to tell you which camera is best to use or has the best performance.
I’m just here to say this is a damn well-built camera, the best built mirrorless full-frame camera we’ve taken apart.
(For the record, I haven’t torn down a Leica SL.)"

So...there's only one thing left to do, Dave...throw everything you got in your hands away, and run to nearest Nikon-store, and don't leave before you got a Z7 or Z6 with you....
:grin::grin:
thorkil
HaHa! Nice try!:ROTFL:

I do not like EVF at all... and it is a no-go for me. Period.

I am also a D_ body addict, right?:thumbs:

BTW, tried the new X1D-50c II yesterday and it convinced me that it is OVF or nothing!

Thorkil

HaHa! Nice try!:ROTFL:

I do not like EVF at all... and it is a no-go for me. Period.

I am also a D_ body addict, right?:thumbs:

BTW, tried the new X1D-50c II yesterday and it convinced me that it is OVF or nothing!
:angel::angel:
...have you tried looking through a Z viewfinder? Perhaps its miles ahead, just like the weathersealing?:p:p
(despite what the viewfinder might be on a X1D, I think I would be able to live with that too...:rolleyes::rolleyes:)
(the D700 was too heavy to me)
best

dave.gt

:angel::angel:
...have you tried looking through a Z viewfinder? Perhaps its miles ahead, just like the weathersealing?:p:p
(despite what the viewfinder might be on a X1D, I think I would be able to live with that too...:rolleyes::rolleyes:)
(the D700 was too heavy to me)
best
No, like Jorgen once said, if I want to see the weather outdoors, I want to see it, not look at a TV screen. :)

I actually prefer large, heavy equipment. A 15 lb shoulder bag is what I carry everyday with the Leica S and 30-90mm lens and much more. The Studio's H5 and full kit resides in the big F-stop backpack. Depending on the shoot, the backpack plus tripod is 30-45 lbs. I see nothing that a new camera can offer me because I am perfectly happy with what I use already. And then there are the film options I have, especially with the H5.

Incidentally, the only mirrorless digital camera that I really enjoy is an M10 (OVF) which I cannot afford. :facesmack:

Enjoy the outstanding Z cameras and exquisite lenses. I really enjoy your posts with extremely nice images!:thumbs:

Thorkil

Thank you Dave! I admire your patience (and envy the necessary physical ability :thumbup:) carrying heavy gear.
The Z7, its not just as light as I could have wished, but its so handy to carry, so no real reason for me to bother.
I do understand you fully, looking direct through glass, and not in a screen (despite we are doing it right now :rolleyes:) that was also my viewpoint before. Fuji X-T2 and X-T3 was almost acceptable.
But I will just say, when looking through the EVF on the Z, I have never given it a thought that I was looking at a screen. Its actually feels that good, (just saying...).
Considering lenses (apart from having almost an full stop for the time being), I'm in a mood for the time being, considering (in the longer run) finding used f1.4 nikkor G-glass (24, 85 and 105), that is sharp in the soft way and more damped colorwise
and more soft-fluid in the colorshades and -transitions. But its only a perhaps..
KR thorkil

dave.gt

Thank you Dave! I admire your patience (and envy the necessary physical ability :thumbup:) carrying heavy gear.
The Z7, its not just as light as I could have wished, but its so handy to carry, so no real reason for me to bother.
I do understand you fully, looking direct through glass, and not in a screen (despite we are doing it right now :rolleyes:) that was also my viewpoint before. Fuji X-T2 and X-T3 was almost acceptable.
But I will just say, when looking through the EVF on the Z, I have never given it a thought that I was looking at a screen. Its actually feels that good, (just saying...).
Considering lenses (apart from having almost an full stop for the time being), I'm in a mood for the time being, considering (in the longer run) finding used f1.4 nikkor G-glass (24, 85 and 105), that is sharp in the soft way and more damped colorwise
and more soft-fluid in the colorshades and -transitions. But its only a perhaps..
KR thorkil
Good morning, Thorkil!:)

Soft and sharp is how I describe certain lenses in different systems. Lately, since I have been granted an opportunity to use a Leica S, I was amazed at the softer but perfectly rendered portraits I made for my grandson's formal at school, especially compared to the D850 and the excellent, sharp 50/1.8 G. So, if you are thinking of the 1.4 lenses, I say go for it.

Can one have enough lenses? I hope so, but I also hope I get the right ones for each task. :facesmack: Sadly, I remain fixated on the 200/2.0! Yikes!:deadhorse:

I presume that a Z7/6 with a softer lens would be better than my current situation with the D2x and a sharp lens. But then, my D2x is being used for more casual shooting that I will not being printing large or even for any reason other than personal.

I am interested in seeing where your journey takes you and can't wait to see the images!

Thorkil

Good morning, Thorkil!:)

Soft and sharp is how I describe certain lenses in different systems. Lately, since I have been granted an opportunity to use a Leica S, I was amazed at the softer but perfectly rendered portraits I made for my grandson's formal at school, especially compared to the D850 and the excellent, sharp 50/1.8 G. So, if you are thinking of the 1.4 lenses, I say go for it.

Can one have enough lenses? I hope so, but I also hope I get the right ones for each task. :facesmack: Sadly, I remain fixated on the 200/2.0! Yikes!:deadhorse:

I presume that a Z7/6 with a softer lens would be better than my current situation with the D2x and a sharp lens. But then, my D2x is being used for more casual shooting that I will not being printing large or even for any reason other than personal.

I am interested in seeing where your journey takes you and can't wait to see the images!
Good evening Dave :) (6 pm in Denmark)
The pictures from SahotaR in Fun with Z taken with the new Z 85/1.8S looks very good, but still a bit more powerfull to the colours and contrasts than I would like to have - whether it just can be desaturated and lowered in the contrast and still look good I don't know.
I can get a used 85/1.4G for the same price as a the new Z 85, so I ought to go to a shop and try both, and try to figure out a decision by working with the contrast, sharpness, colours and saturation in C1.
Yes there are just 4 cameras I would like to choose one from, the Leica S as you say, the X1DII, the GFX-R and the standard-edition of the Hassy 907X, but they are all out of my financial reach (well the closets thing would be an GFX-R+23mm). I will sell my X-T2, one of my Df, my almost new DC lenses and some other, keep the other Df with some few old lenses, keep my X-T3 for the reason of just 2 lenses, the stellar and outright magical XF 90/2 and the very good XF16/1.4 (but keeping the X-E3 too with the in an other ways magical XF18/2 + the GR). Thats it. :angel: Perhaps also keeping the D700, but perhaps not, too heavy for my taste.
best thorkil

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Good evening Dave :) (6 pm in Denmark)
... but they are all out of my financial reach (well the closets thing would be an GFX-R+23mm). I will sell my X-T2, one of my Df, my almost new DC lenses and some other, keep the other Df with some few old lenses, keep my X-T3 for the reason of just 2 lenses, the stellar and outright magical XF 90/2 and the very good XF16/1.4 (but keeping the X-E3 too with the in an other ways magical XF18/2 + the GR). Thats it. :angel: Perhaps also keeping the D700, but perhaps not, too heavy for my taste.
best thorkil
:shocked: :shocked:

It's good to see that I'm not the only one with a bit weird financial logic

:ROTFL::ROTFL:

Just to illustrate:
For a while now, I've wanted to upgrade my MFT system with a G9 or GH5, but haven't been able to find money for that.

Then I find this nice D800 for a good price... :thumbup:
... but I needed a lens too... 70-200 f/4... :thumbup:
... and something a bit wider... Tamron 24-70 f/2.8. :thumbup:

I've asked at the pharmacy, but no, they don't have the right medicine for this.

Thorkil

:shocked: :shocked:

It's good to see that I'm not the only one with a bit weird financial logic

:ROTFL::ROTFL:

Just to illustrate:
For a while now, I've wanted to upgrade my MFT system with a G9 or GH5, but haven't been able to find money for that.

Then I find this nice D800 for a good price... :thumbup:
... but I needed a lens too... 70-200 f/4... :thumbup:
... and something a bit wider... Tamron 24-70 f/2.8. :thumbup:

I've asked at the pharmacy, but no, they don't have the right medicine for this.

;);)
Alprazolam should perhaps do it...on the other side, you can't eat it every day, all day long... :grin:
Yes the 70-200/4 is just such a marvel Jørgen! go for it!
I've got the 24-70/4 for the Z, would have loved the 24-70/2.8S but too expensive (and more heavy and bulky)
I have decided to give up the 85/1.4G, while a carefull test shows colorfringing, more unsharpness up til f5.6. compared with the Z85/1.8S,
which perhaps is a bit clinical, but one can put down sharpness etc. in post I guess...
But I might just give up all in all - and just sit still - and go out take some pictures instead, perhaps as a more healthy cure, with all the available equipment.
The Tamron 24-70 might be really good... (the 15-30 is just outright stellar but heavy)
thorkil

Thorkil

The 24-70 is surprisingly heavy too. I haven't used it yet other than in the shop, but have some travel coming up next week.
Well Jørgen, time for compromises, or....???
A relatively good review at the Tamron 24-70 G2
https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/1051-tamron2470f28g2?start=2
and
https://www.lenstip.com/549.11-Lens_review-Tamron_SP_24-70_mm_f_2.8_VC_USD_G2_Summary.html
some unsharpness at the long end, and some moustache at the short end....
the "or.." solution would be:
hurry to sell the D800, get hold of the bargain offer of a Z6 with standard 24-70 zoom and the FTZ adapter and you are safe..also
for your next investment the 70-200/4 - and you get the best zooms available (apart from the Z 24-70/2.8S which I think you could live without -
and you got a stellar and easy-to-carry travelkit for sure and for the rest of the life...:eek::thumbup:

rayyan

Somehow, I feel that new versions of the Z6 and Z7
shall be announced much sooner than the usual Nikon
upgrade cycles of the past.

They have to...others have gained significant experience
and are now in a relatively strong position to consolidate
their market share and snap on the heels of new entrants.

It does not matter if one card slot is all one needs;
it is how the market perceives such an issue.

Same with lenses. No matter how good an adapter is;
does one have the native lenses for that mount now..
not tomorrow.

I shall be watching developments very eagerly.

Like is too short. If I can’t have salmon, I wouldn’t mind
a trout for dinner.

Of course, one can go out fishing; hoping to snag something
for dinner.

Shashin

Somehow, I feel that new versions of the Z6 and Z7
shall be announced much sooner than the usual Nikon
upgrade cycles of the past.

They have to...others have gained significant experience
and are now in a relatively strong position to consolidate
their market share and snap on the heels of new entrants.

It does not matter if one card slot is all one needs;
it is how the market perceives such an issue.

Same with lenses. No matter how good an adapter is;
does one have the native lenses for that mount now..
not tomorrow.

I shall be watching developments very eagerly.

Like is too short. If I can’t have salmon, I wouldn’t mind
a trout for dinner.

Of course, one can go out fishing; hoping to snag something
for dinner.
Of course, you could find out you had salmon all along and did not need to sell that and buy another one... ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well Jørgen, time for compromises, or....???
A relatively good review at the Tamron 24-70 G2
https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/1051-tamron2470f28g2?start=2
and
https://www.lenstip.com/549.11-Lens_review-Tamron_SP_24-70_mm_f_2.8_VC_USD_G2_Summary.html
some unsharpness at the long end, and some moustache at the short end....
the "or.." solution would be:
hurry to sell the D800, get hold of the bargain offer of a Z6 with standard 24-70 zoom and the FTZ adapter and you are safe..also
for your next investment the 70-200/4 - and you get the best zooms available (apart from the Z 24-70/2.8S which I think you could live without -
and you got a stellar and easy-to-carry travelkit for sure and for the rest of the life...:eek::thumbup:
Ah, but I already bought the stuff on the list above. The Tamron is G1 btw., and I only buy used stuff and only locally. It's partly out of principle and partly because it saves me money. Enough stuff is being manufactured and transported around the globe as it is. My contribution to that is not needed. The D800 is an excellent camera, and much better than my D300. I have MFT if I need small.

Thorkil

It is a good and honorable decision you have made Jørgen. I am about making a feature article for a newspaper to our new government about what radical changes that have to be made (and no one have the fantasy to imagine in what degree its necessary) if we did want to save the climate (which they certainly don't dare to realize while they are in the smooth comfort zone and make very good money as politicians, and their reelection - they do not want to destroy) Electric cars are not at all sustainable, and won't save us. Instead of coal, we now use large amounts of wood (a forest of the size of whole Denmark are now being burned in the powerplants in Denmark - every year!(coming from USA, Canada, Eastern Europe) - surprise, surprise??? - we are not at all that sustainable as the world likes to see us), But it is not sustainable (only after 50-100 years, perhaps, if the trees are replanted in the same amount, but we don't control it, so they don't do it). If China and India and so forth begin at the same practise, there will be no more trees on the planet after about 2-3 years.
I'm afraid, we are facing the end of the human race for approx. 150-200 years. We can extend it for another hundred years if we invest in a extremely way in sustainable energy - but that's about it - the biggest problem is the consumption itself, and the worlwide upcoming middle- and upperclass will not sacrifice their future consumption - so..that's about it ...
Sorry..

rayyan

Will, but by purchasing newer ‘ breeds ‘ of salmon, I
am helping the fisheries...in my small way!

Thorkil, very honorable sentiments my friend.
But sustainability for whom?
The poor farmer in Indonesia, the Amazon, or Africa?
His/her only livelihood depends on chopping trees for food
and sustainability for the family.

Coal. Some ‘ third world countries ‘ only have that as resource
for their development.
Sustainability for whom?

Scandinavia! Norway has reaped the benefits of North Sea oil n gas
for ages.!
Sustainability to maintain their life style?

Let’s not forget the industrial revolution.
Sustainability for whom?

Do you believe Dr. Livingston went to Africa for Africans’ benefit?
Or Rhodes to uplift the local population?

While I wish the world could be Utopia, I somehow
think the worlds poor look on this as self preservation for the
few.

Just as in the past, my friend.
Or as an African Shepard would say’ Dr. Livingston speaks with a forked
tongue ‘.

Best.

Thorkil

I guess Jack in a moment will lift his eyebrow against us/me...if I post this:
but a hasty short answer, for some of your reasonable arguments, Rayyan, could be:
Denmark has together with the so called western civilization, been an industrial nation for more than 200 years. In that time we has polluted and let out CO2 together with other "college" western countries.
So we are in dept for this to the climate of the earth.
Therefore we, Denmark, while we ought to be able to afford it, will have to move forward, to be a showcase of how we might be able to make very drastic reduction in CO2 exhaustion.
But it will never happen, I'm sure.
While it will contain such as:
Forbidden travel by aeroplanes.
Forbidden cars that is larger than an VW UP.
Speedlimit at 80 km/h.
Just for a start.
Heavy tax at products that comes more than 500 miles away, with progressiv tax-raise according to more miles
Adding Climate tax at peoples incom at 15% for income more than 60.000 dollar and another plus-10% for incomes above 80.000 dollar.
Hunting down speculations where company's and persons are paying no tax.
etc., etc....
Its the comsumption that has to be lovered drasticly, and we have to start at the top of the income-pyramid, while people there are exhausting 7 times more than people in the bottom (in Denmark - the difference are several times larger in the most other countries)
Building a huge amount of windmills, extend the highvoltage exchange cabels all over the country.
Intensive state support for watertanks with electrical boilers inside, in or beside each house and buildings to be able receive electricity from windmills when there are overrun of windpower, to store the energy decentralized (in Denmark most houses are using waterbased heating systems), and to minimize hot water transportation in the large cities, and therefore reduce the need of powerplants using nonsustainable energi.
And supporting companys who will establish themselves out in the outer areas where a lot of people now are driving in cars towards the larger cities every day.
Yes the western society's did only go to Africa, India, Southern America to make a profit to themselves, in short we did steal their rawmaterials and left the local population in poverty and different inside wars.
Denmark had slaves in 300 years, until we sold Westindia to USA in 1917 (I guess Trump is referring to that when he got insulted about we didn't wanted to sell Greenland to him :grin:).
So a lot of big very fine buildings in Copenhagen are build by slavemoneys.
All that I'm aware of.
Therefore we ought to, as a small wealthy country, go in front to start the drastic CO2 reduction that will be needed if we want to avoid a raise of the sealevel at 60 meters and raise of temperatures at 10-15 degree in the long run, that will give climate fugitives all over the world and heavy starvation.
If we did so (but the politicians wont dare) we perhaps could create a hope for, that the other old western industrial nations would follow, and later on China, India etc. perhaps ...
But I know...we wont succeed, but we could give it a try (- its all empty free words, and has be so for about 20-30 years - we now need action)...or we could sit still and wait for the sea-level to rise and temperature to rise too, with insufficient water supply and starvation - I'm afraid the last thing mentioned will go on...
best hope for all of us - but I'm afraid its too late to turn around, even in Denmark (don't listen to our kind Prime-minister, even if she promise in a convincing way 70% CO2 reduction - I can assure you - it unfortunately won't happen...the middle and upper class don't want to voluntarily reduce their consumption and the politicians don't dare making that needed climate-revolution - so we are stucked..)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Will, but by purchasing newer ‘ breeds ‘ of salmon, I
am helping the fisheries...in my small way!

Thorkil, very honorable sentiments my friend.
But sustainability for whom?
The poor farmer in Indonesia, the Amazon, or Africa?
His/her only livelihood depends on chopping trees for food
and sustainability for the family.

Coal. Some ‘ third world countries ‘ only have that as resource
for their development.
Sustainability for whom?

Scandinavia! Norway has reaped the benefits of North Sea oil n gas
for ages.!
Sustainability to maintain their life style?

Let’s not forget the industrial revolution.
Sustainability for whom?

Do you believe Dr. Livingston went to Africa for Africans’ benefit?
Or Rhodes to uplift the local population?

While I wish the world could be Utopia, I somehow
think the worlds poor look on this as self preservation for the
few.

Just as in the past, my friend.
Or as an African Shepard would say’ Dr. Livingston speaks with a forked
tongue ‘.

Best.
The small farmers are a tiny piece of the problem, Rayyan. It's the industrial burning of square kilometer upon square kilometer that is killing the forests at a rapid rate, some of it to grow food for the beef that we should eat much less of, some to grow oil that ends up as biofuel in cars, a biofuel that our politicians for some reason think is good for the environment.

It's the politicians and the big corporations that need to turn things around, but they won't. So I try to do the little I can, hoping that others will follow. Less meat, less driving a car, use all clothes till they break, avoid oil based products... it's mostly easy and not much of a sacrifice.

Too many people point their fingers towards others. "It doesn't matter what I do if the Chinese/Americans/Arabs/Brazilians etc. continue what they do." Wrong, I say. It starts with you and me. And it does.

Unfortunately, my work requires me to travel... a lot. On the other hand, I sell machinery for recycling of industrial food waste, meat and fish byproducts. Hopefully it evens out.

I also buy weatherproof phones, cameras and lenses unless I'm given something for free. Water and dust proof products mostly last longer, not least the Nikon products. Just to stay slightly on topic :ROTFL: