The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is your dream Nikon kit?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Z7 (or Z8 if it has faster processor and hence faster Eye AF etc and dual CFExpress slots)
4/24-70 for weight reasons
14-30
1.8/85
1.8/24
80-400 (as soon as available in 2021)

I think this system could become my only system I will keep for future. The main reason why I am not switching right now is that CFExpress is not fully supported yet (not all cards) and Ido not want to play beta tester, as well as I really would prefer the next generation body (as I mentioned better processor) to be more future proof and faster now :cool:

darr

Nikon Dream Kit

Nikon F3T + 50mm f/1.2 + Tri-X + Pyrocat HD

I have had a very long relationship with Nikon cameras. Acquired as a teen, my first SLR was a Canon AE-1, but soon after Nikon was my choice for 135. When I came into digital, it was a D200, then a D700, and the last digital Nikon I shot with was a beautiful D750 the school I worked at let me purchase for instructor use. It was a very nice camera. But as my digital needs evolved, I found a definite need for medium format digital (MFD), but preferred the lighter size APS-C Fuji mirrorless cameras when MFD was not necessary (Nikon was not yet in the mirrorless market). After I realized my D700 was not being used for over a year, it was sadly time to let it go. However, what has remained with me since the early 1980s is the Nikon F3. I used F3s professionally and had many during those years in different configurations. My personal favorite F3 has always been the F3-T in champagne color. Shown above is the third F3-T in champagne I have owned and the prettiest of the bunch. Most are scraped up pretty bad and the viewfinders seem to get whacked a bit from the auction photos I have scanned over the years, so I bought an extra viewfinder from a collector in Japan when it became available. No more commercial work with a F3 for me today, but it is perfect for the proverbial cat in the window shot. :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Darr

dave.gt

Hey, that looks like my old F3T!!! Beautiful kit, Darr.
Loved that camera!:)

Jorgen got me looking at the cost of my dream kit above... then I picked up my old Fm2n and my Nikkormat FTn and walked outside just to use them.

It was then, I realized I didn't need to dream of my old F6 or other cameras. I already had two of my original dream film cameras from long ago!

Time to get reacquainted...:cool:

darr

Hey, that looks like my old F3T!!! Beautiful kit, Darr.
Loved that camera!:)

Jorgen got me looking at the cost of my dream kit above... then I picked up my old Fm2n and my Nikkormat FTn and walked outside just to use them.

It was then, I realized I didn't need to dream of my old F6 or other cameras. I already had two of my original dream film cameras from long ago!

Time to get reacquainted...:cool:
Maybe it is your old F3T. I bought this one from KEH a couple of years ago. :)
Gotta love our old Nikons, they are always waiting to be cuddled!!

Darr

JohnBrew

Interesting

BTW, I would not be surprised if Canon overtake Nikon in the mirrorless market.

LouisB
Nor I. Nikon really needs to be on their toes the next couple of years.

I suppose I ought to add my dream kit to keep this on target.

FM2
50 1.2
105 2.5 Ai
And one of those god-awful slide zooms, 80-210? or 200? Can’t remember, but it paid some dues and bills!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Body: Given the type of images I want to make at this stage of my life, a mirrorless body offers flexibility in mounting almost any lens, so that's why I start with the Z7 body.

Lenses - main: Weight is a consideration for travel cam, and the 24-70/4S is a no-brainer. The 14-30 may be as well, but it's a 2nd tier choice. The 70-300 AF-P is an obvious choice too for a travel tele; add a good 2-element diopter for casual macro work, and you get a 2-fer travel option. For my do-it-all prime, I am really interested in adapting the Canon pancake 40mm USM to the Nikon -- cheaper (even with a $300 smart AF adapter), lighter and just enough longer than the Z 35/1.8S to make the cut over it.

Lenses - artistic: Here is where the waters muddy. Probably the Lensbaby 35mm Burnside -- I like shooting evening/nighttime street with a 35, and like the artistic options this lens provides and I am a sucker for the Petzval look! And probably some older 85 design, possibly the Canon f1.8 USM as it's small, light and cheap -- and would AF! The newer 85's all render too "sterile" for my tastes. (I would love another Leica R 80 Lux for it's look, but they've gotten too damn expensive for the little I'd actually use it. There is a 7-artisans 75mm that is intriguing, bu still 3x the cost of a Canon USM and no AF.) I might eventually add a 50-58, maybe one of the f1.2 Nikkors, or Voightlander, possibly even the Lensbaby Velvet if I take to the Burnside. We shall see ;)

Oh yes, almost forgot -- assuming I like using the above kit, I'd eventually add a 2nd body. Possibly a bargain buy on a used Z6, or possibly an upgrade to the Z8 as my main if they fix some of the 6/7 warts.

Last edited:

bab

one may want to add this to the kit in case you shoot a lot of boudoir and don't want to get in the models face.nikon800mm.jpg

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
My dream camera is physically impossible, since it like the Tardis would require a bigger inside than outside. So, every kit is a compromise, and like every compromise it's never ideal, never a dream. The best compromise is contextual, which of course is why have such agglomerations of kit. But the dream would have to be one camera and one lens to do it all, and maybe serve me coffee in the morning.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
But since you asked, it's not a Nikon but I'd love me an M10 Monochrom with a few different 35 cron's. Unfortunately, my purse disagrees with the idea.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Body: Given the type of images I want to make at this stage of my life, a mirrorless body offers flexibility in mounting almost any lens, so that's why I start with the Z7 body.

Lenses - main: Weight is a consideration for travel cam, and the 24-70/4S is a no-brainer. The 14-30 may be as well, but it's a 2nd tier choice. The 70-300 AF-P is an obvious choice too for a travel tele; add a good 2-element diopter for casual macro work, and you get a 2-fer travel option. For my do-it-all prime, I am really interested in adapting the Canon pancake 40mm USM to the Nikon -- cheaper (even with a $300 smart AF adapter), lighter and just enough longer than the Z 35/1.8S to make the cut over it.

Lenses - artistic: Here is where the waters muddy. Probably the Lensbaby 35mm Burnside -- I like shooting evening/nighttime street with a 35, and like the artistic options this lens provides and I am a sucker for the Petzval look! And probably some older 85 design, possibly the Canon f1.8 USM as it's small, light and cheap -- and would AF! The newer 85's all render too "sterile" for my tastes. (I would love another Leica R 80 Lux for it's look, but they've gotten too damn expensive for the little I'd actually use it. There is a 7-artisans 75mm that is intriguing, bu still 3x the cost of a Canon USM and no AF.) I might eventually add a 50-58, maybe one of the f1.2 Nikkors, or Voightlander, possibly even the Lensbaby Velvet if I take to the Burnside. We shall see ;)

Oh yes, almost forgot -- assuming I like using the above kit, I'd eventually add a 2nd body. Possibly a bargain buy on a used Z6, or possibly an upgrade to the Z8 as my main if they fix some of the 6/7 warts.
Jack,

I fully agree with your opinion - and also about what is needed in my current stage of life :)

I am currently still in the waiting phase for a perfect FF mirrorless body for my needs and the Z7 with the 4/24-70 clicks lot of boxes. I also am looking for adopting some of my M lenses to this body (as I own a whole bunch) and especially the 1.4/75 and the 1.0/50 Noctilux should work just fine although "only" MF. But hey, how did I shoot 20 years ago with a analog Leica M and this worked nicely for me, so now with all the focusing aids etc. on the Z7 it should be a no issue to shoot these lenses.

On the other side I am intrigued to add one or another 1.8 Z prime to this as they are reasonably cheap, offer excellent IQ and AF and would complement my Leica M glass and the 4/24-70 pretty nicely. For longer reach (telephoto) I still own and keep my Olympus m43 gear that is second to none IQ wise and AF wise.

And as you say, as soon as the Z8 arrives get this as a second body and/or maybe sell the Z7 then.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The more I cogitate this, the more I come to:

Z7 now (and later add a Z8), 24-70/4S, 14-30/4S, 50/1.8S, FTZ, 70-300 AF-P, 2-element close up diopter and 35mm Lensbaby Burnside. About $5500 total worth of gear at current refurb and used pricing --- and that will all fit in a medium-sized shoulder bag that I can carry comfortably!

Thorkil

The more I cogitate this, the more I come to:

Z7 now (and later add a Z8), 24-70/4S, 14-30/4S, 50/1.8S, FTZ, 70-300 AF-P, 2-element close up diopter and 35mm Lensbaby Burnside. About $5500 total worth of gear at current refurb and used pricing --- and that will all fit in a medium-sized shoulder bag that I can carry comfortably!
:thumbs: