The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z50, the most important Nikon?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm a bit confused and disappointed by this product. I've seriously thought about the Z6 for bird photography. Especially with the use of the new 500 pf. Small, light and to some extent powerful. But crop sensor cameras are in some cases a lot more useful, e.g. the D500.

My thought processes are prejudiced by the ridiculously high price for the Fujfilm XF 200/2. For the 5K price tag of that lens I keep looking at the cost of alternatives and in the Nikon, Canon and Sony space that nearly always includes a body and a lens for the same cost (if you are willing to sacrifice the fast aperture which in my experience with modern sensors, you can).

My ideal would be a mirrorless Nikon with the 500 pf and possibly the 300 pf, as a second lens.

The Z50 just falls short on performance compared to my existing X-T3 body.

It is only my opinion and it only related to wildlife but at the price point/feature point for mirrorless in this space the camera to beat is imho the Fuji X-T3.

The X-T3 offers up to 30fps (admittedly at a 1.25 crop) and a more modest and I would say everyday useful 20fps without crop and with electronic front curtain. It can stop-dead motion accurately. It also has some other nice features like twin SD card slots etc etc.

The Z50 does not provide an alternative. I am not a Fuji 'fan-boy' in the APS-C space but at present as I do not want Sony or full frame sensors the X-T3 is the only solution (with apologies to m43rds users), as far as I am concerned.

I really am intrigued about the product marketing philosophy behind the Z50 as an APS-C camera. Given that the D500 and D850 are drop dead fantastic in the wildlife/action space and Sony are already way down the track with FF mirrorless products which encroach on this market you would have thought Nikon would have as a high priority a product which could compete and attract wildlife/action photographers who want mirrorless. I repeat that it seems weird to me that with the PF lenses they have the lens products but they don't have the mirrorless bodies to go with them.

I still live in hope that before I get too far in my dotage Nikon will produce a mirrorless D500. If Fuji can produce as a fast capture, accurate AF mirrorless APS-C body then I'm sure Nikon can outgun them. I just wonder if they have the product management expertise to understand the market.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

PS It is interesting to see that Morten Hilmer produces a lot of fine wildlife photography with the Z6 and Nikkor 500/4 but for me the cost and weight of that solution is too much hence my interest in the 500 pf.
I think you have 2 options

1) wait for the 100-400 S lens to be announced in 2021 and then go with the Z6 or Z7 or the by then released Z8 or Z60 or Z80

2) go with the Sony A7R4 and use either the wonderful 100-400 that would give you in crop still 26MP or even use the 200-600 which seems to be an excellent wildlife lens. I know you don't like Sony, but try that R4 - they really made this camera feel just so much better. And either of the mentioned combos would be in or close to the 5k price range.

Check out Mark Smith who is a bird photographer and uses these combos with high satisfaction and actually comes from a Nikon background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8DHe_tuOok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPPssmK53Us

For me and my wildlife encounters the A7R4 with the 100-400 and possibly the 1.4 TC would do all I really need and want. Have handled the A7R3 with that lens and I really loved the camera and of course also the lens. The A7R4 adds so much more better grip and more tactile knob and that 61MP resolution that can be easily made to 26MP in crop mode and also that very nice EVF with 5.7MP and 120Hz refresh rate.

At least I would try this out as I think it would solve your problem just now.

Best regards

Peter