The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z50, the most important Nikon?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/mirrorless/z_50/

It looks like the best APS-C mirrorless from an ergonomics point of view, initial reviews are promising, price is competitive and it's compatible with all things Nikon. It's also smaller than my Panasonic GX8 bodies. I will be very tempted, Z50 + Z6 + D800 + F80... I am very tempted.

I hope they sell truckloads of this.

Elderly

The idea of a small APS-C Mirrorless Nikon really appeals to me (Nikon was always my 35mm brand of choice)
and it will be interesting to see how this system develops - but the two VR lenses announced would not fulfil my needs
and I've become pretty dependent on image stabilisation.

Bugleone

I have been waiting for this as a prospective buyer but very dissapointed with the several design 'failings'......it's simply an 'ape' design for those who can't afford the real Z models.......no smaller than the entry DSLR's and the annoying v/f bump...............Sony and Fuji have already done it better,sadly. My wifes d3300 is an outstanding image making tool and I was hoping/expecting for a superior sony a6000, but no.......not this time.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have been waiting for this as a prospective buyer but very dissapointed with the several design 'failings'......it's simply an 'ape' design for those who can't afford the real Z models.......no smaller than the entry DSLR's and the annoying v/f bump...............Sony and Fuji have already done it better,sadly. My wifes d3300 is an outstanding image making tool and I was hoping/expecting for a superior sony a6000, but no.......not this time.
Nikon has made cameras with "annoying bumps" since 1959, and apart from the failed "1" Series hasn't produced a succesful camera without it since the S3 2000, 19 years ago. While I like the box shape myself, being a GX8 user, hoping for Nikon to change that particular feature was probably a bit too optimistic. They seem to like annoying bumps.

Bugleone

I'm quite happy to put up with a bump if it's important, but the sony a6000 series don't have bumps nor do fuji....this was the chance to steal the march on them but nikon has not taken the opportuntity to design something worthwhile.........I shall hang on to my pennies and wait, or maybe buy 'old and tested'. This new one is actually larger in width than the entry DSLR's!!....it's a posers toy rather than an image maker.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
According to Kai, the annoying Chinese, it does 97 RAW + jpeg at 11 fps. That's pretty impressive. It only offers real live view up to 5 fps., but at that rate, the buffer probably lasts forever. According to the brochure (but not according to dpr), it shoots 4K without crop. It also offers 120 fps. 1080p. In many ways, this is the camera that I hoped Panasonic would make.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I must say I am very satisfied from what I can see till now. I am even thinking about getting this as a replacement for my m43 gear with the 2 announced lenses and add a FF Z7 with some FF Z lenses as needed.

And finally have again only 1 mount - Nikon Z.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

rayyan

Unfortunately, falls short for my needs...

No IBIS.
1 sd card slot...from a bygone generation.

But generously included a flash!

Just as with their Z6/7 offerings...I shall wait out for the next iteration/s.

I am quite satisfied with my Fujis and Nikon have to up their game significantly to
Entice me ( a Nikon user since mid 70s ) into their MILC offerings.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Some good news for those of us who are farsighted:
While the Z6/7 has diopter adjustments from +2 to -4, the Z50 offers +3 to -3. I'm +2.5, which would make the Z6/7 problematic (I don't like using glasses when I take photos).

This is also why I only buy Nikon DSLR cameras with the round viewfinder these days, since the diopter lens in the viewfinder can be changed without affecting functionality.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks like a nice camera but most important? Don't think so
Most important for Nikon and their economy, since it will sell in much higher volume than the Z6/7. A strong economy will help Nikon thrive, not to speak about survive, and continue developing enthusiast and high end gear.

iiiNelson

Looks like a decent offering but the burning question will remain of white is their target audience? if it’s about getting the least expensive option then the D3x00 is still there for about half the price got a comparable kit. I can see SOME Z6/7 owners buying the body as a makeshift 1.5x teleconverter. I can’t see many people intentionally choosing this over a Fuji X system unless they have a desire to eventually go FF with the same Mount or are Nikon fans until they die... and if that’s the case then you have to question why buy this instead of the Sony or Leica? Just my opinion. Don’t take it as unilateral fact.

Paratom

With the compact size of Z6 and Z7 and the 24-70/4.0 I dont see much appeal to buy a dx-sensor body if I wanted to buy a Nikkon mirrorless camera.

iiiNelson

With the compact size of Z6 and Z7 and the 24-70/4.0 I dont see much appeal to buy a dx-sensor body if I wanted to buy a Nikkon mirrorless camera.
Also with all the promotion of the importance of a larger lens mount for the last 15 months you’d think they’d offer lenses that weren’t so utilitarian. If you’re going to do an APS-C camera then why not offer it with something like a 16-80/2.8-4 as a standard kit lens and a 60-200/2.8-4 to start in a standard Z6/7 body utilizing the same batteries and accessories?

Just seems like a missed opportunity for Nikon to make an actual statement in these segments. As much as I personally dislike the EOS R bodies so far they’re getting the lenses correct as far as statement lenses go.

pegelli

Most important for Nikon and their economy, since it will sell in much higher volume than the Z6/7. A strong economy will help Nikon thrive, not to speak about survive, and continue developing enthusiast and high end gear.
Maybe (or for sure) it will appeal to the die hard Nikon fans, but looking at it a bit different I think it's too big, too late and too much copy cat of similar cameras with a much longer track record. Very little innovation (just like the Z6/7) I see in there, only following the other mirrorless brands with something similar.
I like the fact there is one more choice for consumers to choose from, but other than the Nikon logo and the body shape it's really not a new choice.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
... I think it's too big, too late and too much copy cat of similar cameras with a much longer track record.
- Good Nikon user interface
- Great hand grip
- Proven, excellent quality sensor
- Face and eye detect AF
- Full width 4K video
- 120fps 1080p video
- Deep buffer (between 40 and 90 RAW + jpeg, depending on who you ask)
- Weather sealing
- USB charging
- 3.5mm mic input
- Built in flash
- Shares lens mount with Nikon FX mirrorless
- Compatible with millions of F-mount lenses
- Nice price
- Kit lenses seem to be of good optical quality

At this price point, few if anybody else can do all this. I can't see what more I would want from a camera of this category, except maybe IBIS, but the competitors don't offer that either, except for MFT.

For my own, and many other Nikon users part, I can use the same AF-S or manual focus lenses on Nikon SLR, DSLR (DX and FX) and mirrorless (DX and FX) cameras regardless if they are made in 1959 or in 2019.

pegelli

You're exactly proving my point Jorgen, nice camera but nothing new under the sun except the body shape. Some will like that, some won't.

Btw, where did you read about the weather sealing? The only thing I find on the spec-sheet is this:
Nikon said:
Operating environment Temperature: 0 to 40°C/32 to 104°F; humidity: 85% or less (no condensation)