The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with "Obsolete" Nikons

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There is (was?) definitely something to the way the "fat pixel" FF DSLR's render(ed), especially for B&W. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but my theory is since they also had natively a lower DR than newer cams, that in turn allows them to render a little closer to a film response curve out of the gate.(?) Of course we can get there with more modern sensors, it just takes some careful trimming off the appropriate end (or ends) and tweaking the gamma and output curve.

dave.gt

Ah, the yellow hybrid rose that changes color through each stage of maturation but also changes hour to hour. Sometimes it is more orange and at other times it is more light and translucent. It is really difficult at times to capture the true color.

But the D2x renders this one in a softer image than I have found with MFD. In some ways I like this one better.

Nikon D2x 50mm1.8/G:

Last edited:

dave.gt

What a great thread! Must keep them coming....but what's with all these Nikon DSLR's? D40's? D2H's? D2x's? You got to be kidding? These are fairly recent additions to the Nikon line-up. How about a Nikon D1? :)

"Autumn in Virginia"

Nikon D1; Nikon 24-85mm f2.8-4

Dave (D&A)
Hmmm... I used to have a D1. Now I really would love to find a nice D1X! Time to start back on the hunt for my planned collection of single digit Nikon D bodies! I have a grand total of one so far.:rolleyes:

Dave, do you still have a Nikon D1?:)

Last edited:

dave.gt

Hmmm... it seems as though the pandemic has erased all kinds of things from "likes" on posts to basic empathy in regard to the staggering loss of human life due to Covid 19.

We are in need of rejuvenation! So, back to happier days of obsolete fun! Golden oldies!

If the images above don't put a smile in your heart, let's keep posting!:D

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I found out something interesting regarding the D2Xs, and probably many of the other Nikon pro bodies as well:
The internal battery, which was dead on my camera, is user replaceable. There's a small hatch on the inside of the battery compartment, and under that is one of the common types of button batteries. Details like that make me very happy, since changing the internal battery requires sending the camera in to a repair centre with most cameras.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Dave. It's indeed a good lens. You can get them for well under $100 these days. Add a D200 for another 100, the Nikkor 18-70mm plus a 50mm f/1.8, and you can travel the world with photo equipment that costs $400.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A friend of mine owns and runs a restaurant in Pattaya, Casa Pascal. Sometimes I take photos for him and when I and other regulars receive his newsletter and promotions, my photos are often on display. Today however, I received a photo that I couldn't recognise. Colours were flat, there was no contrast and the chance of anybody getting hungry from looking at it was minimal.

So I wrote him an email offering to post process photos before he publishes them. He replied swiftly and said that I'd have to find the photographer first to get acess to the raw file, his name is Jørgen Udvang btw. Then I remembered the occasion. The photo was taken during a very hurried session, just before opening time, in March 2010. I went into my files, and quite right, there it was, flat and boring, taken with the D80 and Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. I'm sure I did my best back then, processing the file to the best of my knowledge and Photoshop's abilities.

Long story short: It took less than 5 minutes with ACR to make a photo that could have come from more or less any current camera.
Conclusion: Buying new cameras is a waste of money. Getting the latest software and learning to use it properly is a much more important investment. As if I didn't know. Having the best lenses help too, and that Tamron wasn't it.

It's still not a great photo, and the lighting is less than perfect, but...

Thorkil

Very nice and tempting, Jørgen! No, I guess you don't need a Z7 (it's just nice to have..) To proove you are right, I'll post an awfull one from yesterday in the 70-200/4 thread (but can't help doing it..)
(hush, but by the way, some couple of month ago we had Mette and Mogens to dinner together with some other friends...I was thinking of a taking a picture from the table for you, but was too shy to do it, which I certainly regret...but now at least, you can regret too... :) (I had Mette beside me, and I was about telling your story, but then I concluded it would be too peculiar to get folded out in relative few words, so I kept my mouth shut..))

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very nice and tempting, Jørgen! No, I guess you don't need a Z7 (it's just nice to have..) To proove you are right, I'll post an awfull one from yesterday in the 70-200/4 thread (but can't help doing it..)
(hush, but by the way, some couple of month ago we had Mette and Mogens to dinner together with some other friends...I was thinking of a taking a picture from the table for you, but was too shy to do it, which I certainly regret...but now at least, you can regret too... :) (I had Mette beside me, and I was about telling your story, but then I concluded it would be too peculiar to get folded out in relative few words, so I kept my mouth shut..))
😄

dave.gt

Now for something a little different...

Ok, it is almost Spring here. We are both fully vaccinated (this week), and my Orvis fly rod broken tip was just returned to me after full repair by Orvis under full 25 year warranty. One week turnaround!!!

Leica needs lessons learned here!!! Wink, wink.

So, I am starting my fishing plans...
Oh, yeah... how about YOU?:):):)

Nikon F6
Across 100
IMG_3223.JPG