Site Sponsors

Thread: Z7: Bad camera, or bad memory card?

Post Thanks / Like

Z7: Bad camera, or bad memory card?

I recently purchased a Z7 and a Sony 120GB XQD memory card, both brand new.
    I noticed some striping in some of my photos, especially when I'm using Silent Shooting (for landscape and tripod based work).

See the attached samples/crops that shows it clearly. In one of the photos the entire content of the image is also "shifted" towards the right. I'm not sure how to proceed here, and if this could be an issue with the camera or the memory card. I have no other XQD cards to test with, and they're a bit expensive to just run out and get several copies of.

I have tried with different raw converters (LR and C1, latest versions), different cables to transfer the files, etc. All files are shot with silent shooting and 14-bit lossless compressed raw.
    I filled the entire 120GB card with images using silent shooting and the interval timer, and I had about 20 of 1000 images showing these types of stripes, artefacts and defects.

What do you think? Have you seen this before with either of the Z cameras while using silent shooting, or memory cards?

Normal image, how it should look
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1546.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	144893

Bad result 1

Name:	_DSC1553.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	336.9 KB 
ID:	144892

Bad result 2

Name:	_DSC0528-3.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	369.2 KB 
ID:	144894

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Z7: Bad camera, or bad memory card?

You are only going to find out by trying a different memory card. I would use a different manufacturer and capacity rating. Iím doing fine with a 32G card.

Post Thanks / Like

If this only occurs with silent shooting it can’t be a card issue.

If you have time, reformat the card, repeat the experiment with regular settings and check if you get the same percentage of bad photos. To eliminate the impact of transfer/processing software you can also check the photos on the camera LCD before transfer, although doing that for 1000+ photos on the back LCD will not be easy...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Marcus View Post
    If this only occurs with silent shooting it can’t be a card issue.

If you have time, reformat the card, repeat the experiment with regular settings and check if you get the same percentage of bad photos. To eliminate the impact of transfer/processing software you can also check the photos on the camera LCD before transfer, although doing that for 1000+ photos on the back LCD will not be easy...
    Well, I'm within my return period for the camera and memory card (2 days remaining). I noticed this by accident in a regular photograph I made, and can't remember if I used Silent Shooting or the regular EFCS shutter at the time. Since I don't have a XQD card reader yet, and thus can't test the memory card by using memory card testing tools, I simply set the Z7 to shoot at intervals and fill the card, as I need to be able to trust the camera AND the card since it has only one slot. To do this I used silent shooting, simply to avoid putting over 1000 shutter counts on the mechanical shutter. After this experiment, and getting 20+ corrupted files, I can't trust the camera or the card.

Honestly, rather than troubleshooting this, I think I'm just gonna return the camera and the XQD card, and re-purchase it somewhere else. Troubleshooting this is gonna take a lot of time and effort from me, and I'll have to shell out for another XQD card, which I don't want to do now that CFExpress is just around the corner. Re-packaging the camera and the card and returning it, and then go to another store and pick up a new set is a lot faster and easier than figuring this out. Sadly.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't you show the problem to the shop and get an exchange?

Otherwise some other poor soul might end up with a bad card and/or camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Can't you show the problem to the shop and get an exchange?

Otherwise some other poor soul might end up with a bad card and/or camera.
    I can, but the store replied saying that they would need to send the camera to Nikon Europe for inspection in that case. The same goes for the card, needs to be sent to Sony for inspection.
    Which means I will be without a camera and card for up to 1 month, which is just unacceptable on a brand new purchase. Returning it is far easier. It's not my preference, but retailers these days seem to run by policy rather than common sense. I'd rather not waste my time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, if the shop is unreasonable they need to feel it (and just give you your money back), but I pity the poor sould who gets this unit next if it gets sold without a repair.

Are Nikon boxes sealed when you buy them new?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Agree, if the shop is unreasonable they need to feel it (and just give you your money back), but I pity the poor sould who gets this unit next if it gets sold without a repair.

Are Nikon boxes sealed when you buy them new?
    No sealing what-so-ever, which kind of surprised me. I'm moving away from Sony (A7r III) for various reasons, and all the Sony boxes was sealed - cameras and lenses.
    Apparently the Nikon boxes are not sealed because they open them up and put local language manuals for each country inside the box (according to two dealerships that I asked here).
    This also applied to the boxes for the lenses.

Maybe they are sealed in the US, but at least not in Europe.
    Flickr: flickr.com/photos/borgei/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are these JPEGs? If so it's a problem with the camera. It's not JPEG file corruption.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Are these JPEGs? If so it's a problem with the camera. It's not JPEG file corruption.
    No, these are 14-bit lossless compressed NEF (raw) files. They have been exported to jpeg in Lightroom, yes. But it is visible both in Lightroom and Capture One, prior to exporting to jpeg.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd shoot some JPEGs and see what happens.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would say that this is a sensor or processing problem, most likely the former. If the shop isn't willing to change the camera for a new one right away, just give it back and buy it somewhere else. Sending it to Nikon Europe for evaluation is just a bad excuse for lacking customer service.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Borge
    It can also be the import to the computer. I had these lines already in Phase One IQ files. When I reimported the files everything was o.k or they occurred on other places.
    So I changed the card reader and cables. Now everything works fine.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Ben