The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z and Pro audio

jdphoto

Has anyone used this camera for shooting pro video and audio? I'm curious about what the best settings and equipment are needed do this.

iiiNelson

Has anyone used this camera for shooting pro video and audio? I'm curious about what the best settings and equipment are needed do this.
No but I’d assume for the best settings you’d want an external recorder like an Atomos unit to enable RAW video in the future. You’d probably also want something like an external audio recorder to use with professional mics and to bypass the internal audio processing from the camera. Depending on your budgets I’d start with something like a Sound Devices MixPre unit, a Zoom F series, or maybe a Tascam unit on the lower end. The high end can expand significantly on budget... just depends on your needs and desires. Microphones are another area where it’ll be budget dependent but you’ll want something with XLR connections. You can probably get decent options on mics starting around the $100 range and they go up to several thousands of dollars from there depending on the mic... there are also wireless options with lav mics too. Again... depends on what you want to do.

This is really true of any system camera with intent to use with video.

jdphoto

Great input, thank you. Yes, i'm tempted by the Atmos for sure for its use of ProRes, but it's the audio section I need to to upgrade. I recently picked up a cheap Zoom H1N to record solo tracks of audio and sync them in in editing. I use a Rode videoMic connected to the Zoom and boom pole over the talent. I can even set a tone generation to match the Z7, but I am thinking about the Zoom H4n Pro for the XLR mics. I also have a Neumann TLM 102, which is a nice warm mic for dialogue. The Zoom comes bundled too with Cubase and Wavelab software.

iiiNelson

Great input, thank you. Yes, i'm tempted by the Atmos for sure for its use of ProRes, but it's the audio section I need to to upgrade. I recently picked up a cheap Zoom H1N to record solo tracks of audio and sync them in in editing. I use a Rode videoMic connected to the Zoom and boom pole over the talent. I can even set a tone generation to match the Z7, but I am thinking about the Zoom H4n Pro for the XLR mics. I also have a Neumann TLM 102, which is a nice warm mic for dialogue. The Zoom comes bundled too with Cubase and Wavelab software.
You’re welcome.

I have a Deity D3 Videomic Pro but I’m just setting into the video side of things more. Check out Curtis Judd on Youtube. His channel is centered all around audio for video. There’s a lot of things that go into the audio side and he has far more knowledge to share than I have personally.

As for the Zoom Recorders, my cousin uses a H6 and it’s a good recorder. They’re more focused on the value for the price demographic though. My personal opinion is that the Sound Devices MixPre units seem to sound a bit better (to my ears) but I also like the Zoom F4/F6/F8. The “big thing” now is the ability to record 32-bit Float... it may not be important for you but it’s something to consider. Neumann microphones are excellent but MAY be overkill to be paired with something like the audio recorder you mentioned. I think the noise floor and internal components may affect the quality of the output ultimately so I’d suggest that you also look at mid-level Condenser/Shotgun mics from companies like Blue, Rode, Audio-Technica, or Deity and pair with a higher end audio device if you intend to stay with the Zoom (for instance the F series instead of the H series) recorders.

*Actually I just re-read your post and misread the first time about the Neumann Mic. That’s an excellent microphone and it will probably serve your needs well I expect. I’d also look at Davinci Resolve (the free version will likely work well for you) as many love the Fairlight Audio tools included when needing Audio for Video tools.

Last edited:

nostatic

Sound Devices MixPre mentioned above is a step up from the Zooms. I have an H4n and H6 that I use mostly for live band recordings. They are a bit "crispy" but that is easily fixed with some eq in post. The TLM102 is solid, but if you're also doing picture then it will be in the shot - which may or may not work depending on what you're doing.

Easy to spend a lot of money on audio, but frankly the sound is usually more important than the picture. You don't have to spend a ton, but a good external recorder, a good shotgun and boom pole, a good wireless lav (or 2), and most bases are covered. You can often use the built-in mics on the camera as you'll just use that audio to sync in post.

Also another +1 to Davinci Resolve. The free version does everything you need, has audio mixing/editing built in, and multi-cam is pretty well-behaved.

iiiNelson

Since my last post I’ve added both a Sound Device MixPre-3 II and a couple of Aston Microphones to my audio setup. I hadn’t done with them yet but I intend to. Just been busy with so much other stuff.