The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z50 Photos and Discussions

Darin Marcus

Today I was finally able to try the AF-P 70-300mm E on the Z50, using the FTZ adapter, during a short late afternoon hike in the Mason Neck State Park.
While the combo is large, it is not heavy, so I was able to carry it in one hand throughout the hike - the Z50 grip is that good (in my hand, at least...).

The lens is sharp on the Z50, and the AF seemed very fast, although I only tried it on static subjects during this session. The mechanical shutter is enabled on the Z50 for this lens, and the auto distortion correction can be turned off.

Darin Marcus

While I did an initial test on the Z6 to make sure everything works fine across a full frame sensor, I primarily got the 85mm 1.8 S to use it on the Z50 (close enough to 125mm equivalent).

I went yesterday to Alexandria (VA) looking for street performers to test it for portraits, but it is apparently too cold for them :)
So I turned around and tried it on something else:

Nikon Z50, Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S, 1/4000, f/1.8, ISO 100, sRGB :D

Had the camera set for street portraits (Auto-area AF with Face/Eye AF on, AF-C, f/1.8). I rarely photograph BIF, so I was pretty happy that the camera was able to quickly lock focus on the bird and keep it on during panning, even though the background was brighter and more colorful :)

Alfen

When I first read about the Z50, I thought, how silly, a DX mirrorless camera! But after I bought one for my wife to replace her aged Canon T4i, I was blown away! The IQ is as good as my D500 and my Z7 in DX mode, in every respect, and for the most part it is a smaller, lighter version of the D500. I haven't really had a chance to shoot BIF with it, and I suspect there's no way it can really keep up with the D500, but then neither can my Z6 II nor Z7. But for landscapes, portraits, and wildlife that doesn't run oft, it is really a superb little camera. It handles noise pretty much the same as the D500—that is, noise at higher ISOs (I never shoot above ISO 6400) is not a problem at all. And because of the cost (I got mine at Adorama, refurbished, with both kit lenses for $899—all brand new, no shutter clicks on the Z50) it's a camera I needn't worry about leaving in the trunk of my car. Oh yeah, I'm stealing it from wife, at least for the time being. I am not crazy about some of the features, i.e., the memory card in the battery compartment, and a some other minor things, but the sacrifice for size and weight makes a lot of sense. It is very nearly a pocket-sized camera with the smaller kit lens on it.

Z51_0039-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME-1-SL.jpgZ51_0078-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME-1-SL.jpgZ51_0031-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME-1-SL.jpg