The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Plan: Retro Nikon Christmas Fun

dave.gt

Times have changed.:)

But that does not mean it is all good. Frankly, the world is in a dangerous time, far worse than I have witnessed in the last six decades. It is time to relax and have some fun!:thumbup:

This year, thanks to Gary, I have had a blast with my old favorite Nikon digital camera, the D2x.:thumbup: Yesterday, the D2x was the camera of choice at our family Christmas Eve gathering. Perfect! :)

I had dreams of going completely retro for Christmas this year but life got in the way. Next year, I have a dream to work on... I am going back to 1950s decor, complete with live tree, bubble lighting, and homemade decorations. Christmas caroling might be difficult, but it is in the plan, too!. Baking my mother's old recipes for dinner will give the right touch, especially with her/my favorite desserts. Other things are in the works, too.:)

If all goes well this will be preceded by a ski trip with the kids in the mountains and recorded on slide film with my Nikons, and my D2x.

The bonus, all will be part of slide shows to be enjoyed long after the holidays.:)

Reaffirmation of who we are and the luxury of enjoying things we used to enjoy are the foundations of this dream. The grandkids will be a special part of it all, a grand treasure.

:thumbs:

dave.gt

A bit of reference for those who have never shot old Nikons, let alone film or lived in the 1950-60 times.:)

An interesting thread here showcased the lives and times of fellow photographers that, some, I have known for a long time.

A time-machine of sorts:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165131&highlight=Kodachrome

We are who we are because of our past. With the current obsession of "gas lighting" and fake information, not to overlook conspiracy theories, the truth of our past is well-documented here. The truth is there and it is a wonderful opportunity to see our past. Beautiful images and great memories for a lot of people. Good times, hard times, and even bad times are all there. But Nikons have documented a lot of them.

And they still do!:thumbs:

Last edited:

bensonga

Great idea and thanks for sharing that Kodachrome thread on the rangefinderforum Dave! I should pull out my slides and projector from so many years ago. Like you I experimented with several types of color slide films, so they won’t all be Kodachromes.

I hope the D2x will serve you well for many years to come.

Gary

Last edited: