Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Z6 or Z7 -- or both ???

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Z6 or Z7 -- or both ???

Congratulations Jack.

Enjoy your camera in good health and good light.
    koffee & kamera
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm now committed to this system having bought two Z7 bodies and the 14-30, 35, 50 and 85 lenses, all excellent.

I chose the Z7 over the Z6 for a number of reasons including having the extra resolution rather than not, the lack of an AA filter and the option of ISO 50.

Very positive feelings towards the system so far although I would like to have the option to use the 40mm compact sooner rather than later and hope it will be f/2 rather than f/2.8. I'll be using the system more intensively over the next few months including face/eye detect and will report back further.
    https://www.keithlaban.co.uk
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well my "kit" arrived. Totally DOA. Nothing, nada, zip. Charger won't light up, cam won't activate. Even with cam on USB, nada. Screw this, I am done. And of course B&H is now closed until Sunday. Frigging fark! It's all packaged up ready for total return. Screw this. I know it sounds stupid, but it seems almost as if the powers that be don't want me to go this route. Time for me to start looking more seriously for a Fuji...
    Last edited by Jack; 1 Week Ago at 15:19.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Well my "kit" arrived. Totally DOA. Nothing, nada, zip. Charger won't light up, cam won't activate. Even with cam on USB, nada. Screw this, I am done. And of course B&H is now closed until Sunday. Frigging fark! It's all packaged up ready for total return. Screw this, back to my iPhone.
    Have you tried with another battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Have you tried with another battery?
    Stellar idea, but I only got 1 battery with the cam and don't have any others. Nor do I know anybody nearby who would have one. I suspect that is the issue, but then why ship a camera with a totally DOA battery in the first place? The whole experience is irritating to say the least, and has had the effect of totally turning me off to a Z cam solution...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stellar idea, but I only got 1 battery with the cam and don't have any others. Nor do I know anybody nearby who would have one. I suspect that is the issue, but then why ship a camera with a totally DOA battery in the first place? The whole experience is irritating to say the least, and has had the effect of totally turning me off to a Z cam solution...
    He he... I know that feeling. Maybe it wasn't meant to be... but I live in Asia where people believe in things like that

Post Thanks / Like

... I only got 1 battery with the cam and don't have any others. Nor do I know anybody nearby who would have one...
    Have you already sold the D810?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Marcus View Post
    Have you already sold the D810?
    Yes.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Can you get an RMA even if B&H is closed? Seems like it might be an automated process if I remember correctly

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sh*t and double sh*t.
    Don’t blame you Jack...awful feeling.

Wish you get a camera u like n works for
    You.

Best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well my "kit" arrived. Totally DOA. Nothing, nada, zip. Charger won't light up, cam won't activate. Even with cam on USB, nada. Screw this, I am done. And of course B&H is now closed until Sunday. Frigging fark! It's all packaged up ready for total return. Screw this. I know it sounds stupid, but it seems almost as if the powers that be don't want me to go this route. Time for me to start looking more seriously for a Fuji...
    Sorry to hear that. You need to have a battery in the camera when connecting the camera to power via USB, otherwise, it does not power on. Z cameras use more battery than Nikon's DSLRs. It would have been wise to order at least one spare battery with the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All three Nikon Z 7 that I bought (had to return one because of broken IBIS) came with slightly charged batteries. Are you turned off from the brand or from the seller?

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,

may the power be with you

Seriously, this is really s... - but I would not blame it on Nikon.

But on the opposite you cannot be wrong with Fuji either

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

As they say "$h.t happens", even though the probability is low it $.cks when it happens.

Given the low probability of these problems happening I would just try again and not write it off based on one isolated incident, but that's probably just me.

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks!

I certainly understand your frustration, but I'd vent at the vendor rather than the manufacturer.

Anyway, here's good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

give it another chance Jack, and you won't regret...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Understand the frustration, but like its said above, give it another chance.

I bought one Z6 last year, loved the files so much bought another one.
    Once of the best I have ver used.
    Sahota R
    Brisbane, Australia
    www.shaandaar.photos

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First off, if I had to pick an ideal one body that could tackle most imaging jobs, it would be hands-down the D850, and then whatever lenses to suit whatever project.

However, my needs are pretty specific. Moreover, they require the ability to adapt a wide variety of artistic lenses in a variety of mounts -- hence I am restricted to mirrorless. Which is why the whole decision matrix between Z6/7 and Fuji GFX...

I do hope to look at a used GFX kit here in the next day or two. Stay tuned
    Jack

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update. I looked at a GFX kit. Was very impressed, but overall it is just too large for my liking. So I am now at sort of an impasse -- which is okay, I'm just going to sit without anything and keep my powder dry until I absolutely have to have a camera. At that time, I suspect I will probably go with a Z7 and the lenses I wanted.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update. I looked at a GFX kit. Was very impressed, but overall it is just too large for my liking. So I am now at sort of an impasse -- which is okay, I'm just going to sit without anything and keep my powder dry until I absolutely have to have a camera. At that time, I suspect I will probably go with a Z7 and the lenses I wanted.
    Sounds like a wise decision. Be aware though that while the Z bodies are more compact and a bit lighter than their DSLR counterparts, the lenses are mostly heavier. They are better, but heavier, so the weight savings mostly turn to dust once you start to add lenses. Battery life is obviously shorter too, but that might not be as important with your kind of photography.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I wouldn’t call the 50 1.8 or the 24-70 f4 heavier. Those are the two I have. Now anything heavier than either of those, I want no part of because for me the whole point of this exercise was to lose the weight of the F system.

Post Thanks / Like

If I wouldn't lose a lot trading the D850, which I would, I would consider the Sony A7R IV and a few Batis primes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    Well, I wouldn’t call the 50 1.8 or the 24-70 f4 heavier. Those are the two I have. Now anything heavier than either of those, I want no part of because for me the whole point of this exercise was to lose the weight of the F system.
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-S, 185g, $220
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF-S, 280g, $450
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 S, 415g, $600

Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF-S, 350g, $480
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-S, 600g, $1,600
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 S, 470g, $800

The 24-70mm f/4 doesn't have an F-mount equivalent, but it's 500g vs. the much longer reaching 24-120mm f/4 at 710g. They both cost around a thousand dollars.

I don't doubt for a second that the Z-mount lenses are better than the F-mount equivalents, but who will see the difference other than photographers? What will make a difference is that additional, lightweight F-mount lens that I can afford to buy because I didn't spend my money on expensive mirrorless lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a wise decision. Be aware though that while the Z bodies are more compact and a bit lighter than their DSLR counterparts, the lenses are mostly heavier. They are better, but heavier, so the weight savings mostly turn to dust once you start to add lenses. Battery life is obviously shorter too, but that might not be as important with your kind of photography.
    Depends on the lenses - for example the S 2.8/24-70 is definitely smaller and lighter than all the F mount counterparts. As is the S 2.8/70-200 although the difference is not as huge with that lens.

Battery life while shorter is still mostly a non issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that you came to this conclusion. Is pretty much the same for me as well, any GFX kit while tempting and great quality is just to limiting for me when it comes to size and weight and speed.

The Z7 is IMO currently one of the sweet spots in mirrorless FF (especially if one hesitates to go down the Sony route, or also Panasonic or Canon). If I would get into FF mirrorless now the Z7 would be my choice. I was almost pulling the trigger on a Z7 kit with all the cash backs here in Europe, what kept me off was the situation with XQD and CFExpress at least here in Europe and not all CFExpress cards are supported yet by Nikon.

XQD prices are artificially kept high by Sony, so the logical choice of cards would be CFExpress (much more future proof) but the price for one 128G CFExpress card is currently around €280.- that is €560.- for 2 cards I would need and that is still too cheap. So I am waiting till prices come down, a newer Z model (Z8) gets announced that supports CFExpress from the start and also has a faster processor to speed up all things especially AF and Eye AF.

Good to be in a position where I can wait
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Depends on the lenses - for example the S 2.8/24-70 is definitely smaller and lighter than all the F mount counterparts. As is the S 2.8/70-200 although the difference is not as huge with that lens.

Battery life while shorter is still mostly a non issue.
    Some F-mount lenses are lighter, some Z-mount lenses are lighter. See my comparison at the D780 thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Some F-mount lenses are lighter, some Z-mount lenses are lighter. See my comparison at the D780 thread.
    Agree, but you should not draw any general conclusions for that matter. I agree that the 1.8 S lenses are unusually large and heavy, but especially the Nikkor 2.8 S lenses so far show what is possible. Maybe not as much as we expected.

But then - Canon RF 2.8/70-200 got significantly smaller and also much lighter - actually a reason (for me) to consider Canon as soon as the new R replacement camera is launched later this year.

As I said great time now for me as I am open to go any mirrorless system (Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fuji) since I am no longer invested in anything like m43. Maybe it finally paid off that I did not buy anything photogear over the last 3 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

$2,500 for Z7 with lens? Just do it:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mera_body.html

Post Thanks / Like

$2,500 for Z7 with lens? Just do it:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mera_body.html
    Unfortunately I don't live in the US but here in Europe (Austria) the price is still € 3100.-

F--- these companies like Nikon for these pricing strategies

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

$2500 for the refurb Z7 with 24-70 seems like a really good deal -- and I am considering it, at least mildly...

But I suspect the recent "fire sale" pricing is in advance of the Z8 announcement -- historically all the refurbs get unloaded first, then the "new" bodies go on sale. But if the Z8 fixes a few of the Z6/7 UI warts, it may well be worth the extra $1500 or so to have that body. If it has a 3:4 capture aspect option and fixes the VF lag, those alone would be worth the extra $$$$ to me LOL.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

$2500 for the refurb Z7 with 24-70 seems like a really good deal -- and I am considering it, at least mildly...

But I suspect the recent "fire sale" pricing is in advance of the Z8 announcement -- historically all the refurbs get unloaded first, then the "new" bodies go on sale. But if the Z8 fixes a few of the Z6/7 UI warts, it may well be worth the extra $1500 or so to have that body. If it has a 3:4 capture aspect option and fixes the VF lag, those alone would be worth the extra $$$$ to me LOL.
    Could not agree more! And I think the Z8 will arrive sooner than later

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thats a great price for the Z7 and 24-70. Is that the F2.8 24-70 or F4? Just curious.

The next pro models seems to be the Z9, as there have been "distant" rumors about the Z9 coming, with the 60MP chip that Sony has now in their Latest AR7 camera.
    The last I read about it was about 1 month ago, as folks were thinking Nikon would mention it at Vegas CES, but apparently did not.

Only rumor is development starts in 2nd 2020, which would odds are mean shipping in 2021?

The EVF on the Z7 for me is still pretty impressive, in regards to lag, I rarely notice it even in panning shots for (mainly trains). I will see it in bird work, with smaller birds, but I have yet to see any EVF that can handle the movements of birds. The GFX lag, for me is much more noticeable. Especially on the GFX100, that I have used a couple of times.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul, it is the f4 lens in the refurb "kit" ---
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned/used the D850,D800,D810,Z6 and Z7. I simply love the Z7 best. It has many more useful features imo, and is a rugged camera in general...so far. The EVF magnification is an amazing tool that lets you shoot without having to look at images on an LCD in bright ambient conditions. The dynamic range is impressive! The ability to crop is incredibly useful too. For adapting other lenses nothing beats the Z7, again, my opinion. Try shooting a Nikon 50mm 1.2 on a DSLR at 1.2. I've used the Z7 for many professional shoots and find it's the most intuitive Nikon I've used to date. I do, keeping hitting the exposure comp. button when going for the ISO, but that's user error. As for lenses, the S 50mm 1.8S is the best general purpose lens I've ever used...period. For some reason, I don't bond with the S 85mm 1.8S. It's good, but lacks character, and for me that's more important than resolution. Using the FTZ with a 105mm f2.5 AI-s, 105mm 1.4, and a Z6 with a Nikkor 50mm 1.2, have been flawless. If you have a lot of other brand lenses, especially M, LTM or F mount, nothing comes close to the Z series for usability. Yes, I would like two cards, but the XQD is a robust, stable media that's lighting fast on read/write speeds at full RAW. I do shoot using both RAW and JPG and only use one card for one camera and always format "in camera". I would have gone for the Z50 as a b/u camera, but the different batteries made me consider the Z6 instead. I'm primarily a stills shooter, but wouldn't hesitate to use the Z series for professional video.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    I've owned/used the D850,D800,D810,Z6 and Z7. I simply love the Z7 best. It has many more useful features imo, and is a rugged camera in general...so far. The EVF magnification is an amazing tool that lets you shoot without having to look at images on an LCD in bright ambient conditions. The dynamic range is impressive! The ability to crop is incredibly useful too. For adapting other lenses nothing beats the Z7, again, my opinion. Try shooting a Nikon 50mm 1.2 on a DSLR at 1.2. I've used the Z7 for many professional shoots and find it's the most intuitive Nikon I've used to date. I do, keeping hitting the exposure comp. button when going for the ISO, but that's user error. As for lenses, the S 50mm 1.8S is the best general purpose lens I've ever used...period. For some reason, I don't bond with the S 85mm 1.8S. It's good, but lacks character, and for me that's more important than resolution. Using the FTZ with a 105mm f2.5 AI-s, 105mm 1.4, and a Z6 with a Nikkor 50mm 1.2, have been flawless. If you have a lot of other brand lenses, especially M, LTM or F mount, nothing comes close to the Z series for usability. Yes, I would like two cards, but the XQD is a robust, stable media that's lighting fast on read/write speeds at full RAW. I do shoot using both RAW and JPG and only use one card for one camera and always format "in camera". I would have gone for the Z50 as a b/u camera, but the different batteries made me consider the Z6 instead. I'm primarily a stills shooter, but wouldn't hesitate to use the Z series for professional video.
    I second your view, JD

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Currently agonizing over if 24MP cropped is enough for what I do
    If you are talking about a print output, then the crop does not matter. If you are printing to the full width of your paper with the short dimension of your 3:2 file, then cropping the file to 4:3 or 1:1 does not change anything in terms of image size/quality. Those will not be perceived as different in quality as the final DPI stays the same--if that makes sense.