The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z6 or Z7 -- or both ???

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't know how large you print, but cropping considered, you would probably be more happy with the Z7, particularly since you come from the D810.

The Fuji will offer more pixels, somewhat better image quality etc., but once you start to add lenses, it becomes expensive. It also has limitations that you must be aware of. It's probably perfect for landscapes and other slow work though, and you do have the option of keeping the old Nikon.

Whatever you choose, I would look at second hand options. My local shop has a GFX 50R in mint condition for $2,600 without lens. Mirrorless cameras seem to lose value faster than their DSLR brothers.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If I go Fuji, it will have to be used. I'd buy the Nikons used too if I could find one -- my needs are minimal. Currently there are a few refurb Z6/Z7 and lenses at B&H, but the net savings are not very compelling.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I go Fuji, it will have to be used. I'd buy the Nikons used too if I could find one -- my needs are minimal. Currently there are a few refurb Z6/Z7 and lenses at B&H, but the net savings are not very compelling.
Maybe it would be wise to wait for the Z8 as then the Z7 should become lot cheaper. The Z8 should be announced sometime during 2020 ....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Maybe it would be wise to wait for the Z8 as then the Z7 should become lot cheaper. The Z8 should be announced sometime during 2020 ....
Possibly -- but I think a lot of the reduction they just got was due to that ;)

Hulyss Bowman

It's time for me to consider the move. So who's compared both? Obviously the 7 has a more resolution, but how do they each perform relative to the other as far as color, noise and general IQ rendering? Looking at images, it appears both are highly capable (very highly). Yet they have distinct enough capabilities that perhaps a good case could be made for having one of each?

Next, which lenses? I like primes, but both the 14-30 and (both) 24-70's look like they can deliver pretty impressive results. Are the the 24, 35, 50 or 85 prime so good you consider them mandatory?

Thanks in advance, and images welcome!!!
Hello Jack,

Happy new year to you and your familly !

I can speak only for the Z6 I use since January 2019. I never wanted to own a D8xx and stayed with my trusty D700. When the Z6 was available, I took a big decision and bought it with the 24/70 f4 … just with the feeling. I needed a new work horse and I found it. Weddings, shows, portraiture … this thing absolutely don't fail me : I work great.

Of course there is a little learning curve and things to understand.

I use it with the 24/70 f4, the 180f2.8D and the 58 f 1.4

For my use and in my opinion, this is a very good camera.

Hope you'll make a choice and like it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you all for the informative feedback. I decided to pull the trigger on a Z6 refurb kit w/ 24-70/4. I do believe 24MP will be plenty, especially for the type of images I want to create. With the savings from the refurb kit, I added an L plate and a lensbaby 56mm Velvet to the cart :bugeyes: We will see! The 14-30 is my shopping cart -- as soon as I play with the cam a bit and confirm I like it, that trigger will get pulled too ;)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you all for the informative feedback. I decided to pull the trigger on a Z6 refurb kit w/ 24-70/4. I do believe 24MP will be plenty, especially for the type of images I want to create. With the savings from the refurb kit, I added an L plate and a lensbaby 56mm Velvet to the cart :bugeyes: We will see! The 14-30 is my shopping cart -- as soon as I play with the cam a bit and confirm I like it, that trigger will get pulled too ;)
Congratulations!

Darin Marcus

Good luck Jack, I hope it works well for you!

Mrs. Washington is happy :)

Nikon Z6, Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S @ 55mm, 1/25, f/2.8, ISO 100, Nikon Adobe RGB

Crossposted from the 'People and Portraits Photos Pool' thread.
This is a horizontal 5:4 crop of a photo shot in portrait mode - from 24MP to about 9MP, and then resized for web.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congratulations Jack for getting this wonderful camera and lens. I think you made the right and best choice!

Peter

KeithL

I'm now committed to this system having bought two Z7 bodies and the 14-30, 35, 50 and 85 lenses, all excellent.

I chose the Z7 over the Z6 for a number of reasons including having the extra resolution rather than not, the lack of an AA filter and the option of ISO 50.

Very positive feelings towards the system so far although I would like to have the option to use the 40mm compact sooner rather than later and hope it will be f/2 rather than f/2.8. I'll be using the system more intensively over the next few months including face/eye detect and will report back further.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well my "kit" arrived. Totally DOA. Nothing, nada, zip. Charger won't light up, cam won't activate. Even with cam on USB, nada. Screw this, I am done. And of course B&H is now closed until Sunday. Frigging fark! It's all packaged up ready for total return. Screw this. I know it sounds stupid, but it seems almost as if the powers that be don't want me to go this route. Time for me to start looking more seriously for a Fuji...

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well my "kit" arrived. Totally DOA. Nothing, nada, zip. Charger won't light up, cam won't activate. Even with cam on USB, nada. Screw this, I am done. And of course B&H is now closed until Sunday. Frigging fark! It's all packaged up ready for total return. Screw this, back to my iPhone.
Have you tried with another battery?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried with another battery?
Stellar idea, but I only got 1 battery with the cam and don't have any others. Nor do I know anybody nearby who would have one. I suspect that is the issue, but then why ship a camera with a totally DOA battery in the first place? The whole experience is irritating to say the least, and has had the effect of totally turning me off to a Z cam solution...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Stellar idea, but I only got 1 battery with the cam and don't have any others. Nor do I know anybody nearby who would have one. I suspect that is the issue, but then why ship a camera with a totally DOA battery in the first place? The whole experience is irritating to say the least, and has had the effect of totally turning me off to a Z cam solution...
He he... I know that feeling. Maybe it wasn't meant to be... but I live in Asia where people believe in things like that :)

DougDolde

Can you get an RMA even if B&H is closed? Seems like it might be an automated process if I remember correctly

rayyan

Sh*t and double sh*t.
Don’t blame you Jack...awful feeling.

Wish you get a camera u like n works for
You.

Best.