The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z6 or Z7 -- or both ???

SrMphoto

Well my "kit" arrived. Totally DOA. Nothing, nada, zip. Charger won't light up, cam won't activate. Even with cam on USB, nada. Screw this, I am done. And of course B&H is now closed until Sunday. Frigging fark! It's all packaged up ready for total return. Screw this. I know it sounds stupid, but it seems almost as if the powers that be don't want me to go this route. Time for me to start looking more seriously for a Fuji...
Sorry to hear that. You need to have a battery in the camera when connecting the camera to power via USB, otherwise, it does not power on. Z cameras use more battery than Nikon's DSLRs. It would have been wise to order at least one spare battery with the camera.

SrMphoto

Stellar idea, but I only got 1 battery with the cam and don't have any others. Nor do I know anybody nearby who would have one. I suspect that is the issue, but then why ship a camera with a totally DOA battery in the first place? The whole experience is irritating to say the least, and has had the effect of totally turning me off to a Z cam solution...
All three Nikon Z 7 that I bought (had to return one because of broken IBIS) came with slightly charged batteries. Are you turned off from the brand or from the seller?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well my "kit" arrived. Totally DOA. Nothing, nada, zip. Charger won't light up, cam won't activate. Even with cam on USB, nada. Screw this, I am done. And of course B&H is now closed until Sunday. Frigging fark! It's all packaged up ready for total return. Screw this. I know it sounds stupid, but it seems almost as if the powers that be don't want me to go this route. Time for me to start looking more seriously for a Fuji...
Jack,

may the power be with you ;)

Seriously, this is really s... - but I would not blame it on Nikon.

But on the opposite you cannot be wrong with Fuji either :thumbup:

Peter

pegelli

As they say "$h.t happens", even though the probability is low it $.cks when it happens.

Given the low probability of these problems happening I would just try again and not write it off based on one isolated incident, but that's probably just me.

KeithL

That sucks!

I certainly understand your frustration, but I'd vent at the vendor rather than the manufacturer.

Anyway, here's good luck to you.

Thorkil

Stellar idea, but I only got 1 battery with the cam and don't have any others. Nor do I know anybody nearby who would have one. I suspect that is the issue, but then why ship a camera with a totally DOA battery in the first place? The whole experience is irritating to say the least, and has had the effect of totally turning me off to a Z cam solution...
give it another chance Jack, and you won't regret...

SahotaR

Understand the frustration, but like its said above, give it another chance.

I bought one Z6 last year, loved the files so much bought another one.
Once of the best I have ver used.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
First off, if I had to pick an ideal one body that could tackle most imaging jobs, it would be hands-down the D850, and then whatever lenses to suit whatever project.

However, my needs are pretty specific. Moreover, they require the ability to adapt a wide variety of artistic lenses in a variety of mounts -- hence I am restricted to mirrorless. Which is why the whole decision matrix between Z6/7 and Fuji GFX...

I do hope to look at a used GFX kit here in the next day or two. Stay tuned ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Update. I looked at a GFX kit. Was very impressed, but overall it is just too large for my liking. So I am now at sort of an impasse -- which is okay, I'm just going to sit without anything and keep my powder dry until I absolutely have to have a camera. At that time, I suspect I will probably go with a Z7 and the lenses I wanted.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Update. I looked at a GFX kit. Was very impressed, but overall it is just too large for my liking. So I am now at sort of an impasse -- which is okay, I'm just going to sit without anything and keep my powder dry until I absolutely have to have a camera. At that time, I suspect I will probably go with a Z7 and the lenses I wanted.
Sounds like a wise decision. Be aware though that while the Z bodies are more compact and a bit lighter than their DSLR counterparts, the lenses are mostly heavier. They are better, but heavier, so the weight savings mostly turn to dust once you start to add lenses. Battery life is obviously shorter too, but that might not be as important with your kind of photography.

JohnBrew

Well, I wouldn’t call the 50 1.8 or the 24-70 f4 heavier. Those are the two I have. Now anything heavier than either of those, I want no part of because for me the whole point of this exercise was to lose the weight of the F system.

DougDolde

If I wouldn't lose a lot trading the D850, which I would, I would consider the Sony A7R IV and a few Batis primes.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, I wouldn’t call the 50 1.8 or the 24-70 f4 heavier. Those are the two I have. Now anything heavier than either of those, I want no part of because for me the whole point of this exercise was to lose the weight of the F system.
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF-S, 185g, $220
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF-S, 280g, $450
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 S, 415g, $600

Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF-S, 350g, $480
Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-S, 600g, $1,600
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 S, 470g, $800

The 24-70mm f/4 doesn't have an F-mount equivalent, but it's 500g vs. the much longer reaching 24-120mm f/4 at 710g. They both cost around a thousand dollars.

I don't doubt for a second that the Z-mount lenses are better than the F-mount equivalents, but who will see the difference other than photographers? What will make a difference is that additional, lightweight F-mount lens that I can afford to buy because I didn't spend my money on expensive mirrorless lenses.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sounds like a wise decision. Be aware though that while the Z bodies are more compact and a bit lighter than their DSLR counterparts, the lenses are mostly heavier. They are better, but heavier, so the weight savings mostly turn to dust once you start to add lenses. Battery life is obviously shorter too, but that might not be as important with your kind of photography.
Depends on the lenses - for example the S 2.8/24-70 is definitely smaller and lighter than all the F mount counterparts. As is the S 2.8/70-200 although the difference is not as huge with that lens.

Battery life while shorter is still mostly a non issue.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Interesting that you came to this conclusion. Is pretty much the same for me as well, any GFX kit while tempting and great quality is just to limiting for me when it comes to size and weight and speed.

The Z7 is IMO currently one of the sweet spots in mirrorless FF (especially if one hesitates to go down the Sony route, or also Panasonic or Canon). If I would get into FF mirrorless now the Z7 would be my choice. I was almost pulling the trigger on a Z7 kit with all the cash backs here in Europe, what kept me off was the situation with XQD and CFExpress at least here in Europe and not all CFExpress cards are supported yet by Nikon.

XQD prices are artificially kept high by Sony, so the logical choice of cards would be CFExpress (much more future proof) but the price for one 128G CFExpress card is currently around €280.- that is €560.- for 2 cards I would need and that is still too cheap. So I am waiting till prices come down, a newer Z model (Z8) gets announced that supports CFExpress from the start and also has a faster processor to speed up all things especially AF and Eye AF.

Good to be in a position where I can wait :thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Depends on the lenses - for example the S 2.8/24-70 is definitely smaller and lighter than all the F mount counterparts. As is the S 2.8/70-200 although the difference is not as huge with that lens.

Battery life while shorter is still mostly a non issue.
Some F-mount lenses are lighter, some Z-mount lenses are lighter. See my comparison at the D780 thread.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Some F-mount lenses are lighter, some Z-mount lenses are lighter. See my comparison at the D780 thread.
Agree, but you should not draw any general conclusions for that matter. I agree that the 1.8 S lenses are unusually large and heavy, but especially the Nikkor 2.8 S lenses so far show what is possible. Maybe not as much as we expected.

But then - Canon RF 2.8/70-200 got significantly smaller and also much lighter - actually a reason (for me) to consider Canon as soon as the new R replacement camera is launched later this year.

As I said great time now for me as I am open to go any mirrorless system (Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fuji) since I am no longer invested in anything like m43. Maybe it finally paid off that I did not buy anything photogear over the last 3 years :cool: