The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z6 or Z7 -- or both ???

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well, at least I do look forward to at least attempting to create some wall-worthy images with it.

I will say there's a steeper learning curve to this camera. For example, I just realized the auto vignette correction works with ANY lens, not just newer electronically-coupled lenses -- hence why the vignette slider on the Lensbaby didn't do much... Duh. :loco:

SrMphoto

Played around with it a little last night in my backyard -- the sun had set by the time I got the batteries charged and menus figured out. Was really impressed with the 24-70, IBIS and the overall low-light capabilities. I limited ISO to 6400, and shot around my backyard at f6.3, and the results were frankly impressive.

I remain a little conflicted on the EVF: I like the weight and compact size it offers, LOVE using it in low light situations, but definitely prefer the clarity one gets from an OVF. Overall, I believe I will adjust. Still need to work with the 14-30 a bit -- but it sure seems like a winner too.

Going to play around with the entire kit today as soon as I get caught up at the office. Hopefully I'll have something worthwhile to share by tomorrow.
Congratulations on your new camera kit!
You may want to change Picture Control settings in order to improve how the image appears in the EVF. I have it set to 'Neutral'.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Update: Usability improves. It's taking me a little while to get comfortable with the new menu arrangement and extra viewing and focusing options. But end of day, I'm liking the little cam. Only real nit is EVF compared to OVF and slight lags, but then it's got a couple big advantages for me: brightness and usability in dark environs, changeable readout/data, and the fact it previews my monochrome shooting setting in mono, which for me absolutely aids in composition.

I *really* like the Z lenses, but moreover, focusing older, dumb MF lenses with my aged eyes is a piece of cake now! (I especially like yellow focus peaking ;) )

More later...

SrMphoto

Update: Usability improves. It's taking me a little while to get comfortable with the new menu arrangement and extra viewing and focusing options. But end of day, I'm liking the little cam. Only real nit is EVF compared to OVF and slight lags, but then it's got a couple big advantages for me: brightness and usability in dark environs, changeable readout/data, and the fact it previews my monochrome shooting setting in mono, which for me absolutely aids in composition.

I *really* like the Z lenses, but moreover, focusing older, dumb MF lenses with my aged eyes is a piece of cake now! (I especially like yellow focus peaking ;) )

More later...
Thanks for the update. One thing that I changed when switching from D850 to Z 7 is to assign one of the front buttons to image review. That way I can quickly check in the EVF the sharpness and/or image composition when in doubt.

Ben730

One thing that I changed when switching from D850 to Z 7 is to assign one of the front buttons to image review. That way I can quickly check in the EVF the sharpness and/or image composition when in doubt.
That's also what I did. And my other front button is assigned for 100% view.

Regards,
Ben

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I currently have those assigned to two other functions I like to be able call up quickly -- I don't have much trouble hitting the rear review button for review, then the center "OK" button for 100%. Plus I have monitor-only review on, so it's ready when my eye is not at the finder, and a simple matter to hit 100% and confirm; and then once you hit the 100% button, the OVF pops into review mode too, so you can a really good inspection in either.

You just have to love the user "set-ability" of these cams!

SrMphoto

I currently have those assigned to two other functions I like to be able call up quickly -- I don't have much trouble hitting the rear review button for review, then the center "OK" button for 100%. Plus I have monitor-only review on, so it's ready when my eye is not at the finder, and a simple matter to hit 100% and confirm; and then once you hit the 100% button, the OVF pops into review mode too, so you can a really good inspection in either.

You just have to love the user "set-ability" of these cams!
The advantage of my suggestion is that nobody can see that you are "chimping" :).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Haha, good one! But let me reiterate the way I have mine set up:

1) Review set to on, "monitor only."
2) "OK" button set to 100% zoom.

Now if I shoot using the rear LCD, the image reviews after the shot. If I punch the OK button, it zooms to 100% at wherever the focus was zeroed on both the rear monitor AND EVF.

If I'm using the EVF, nothing reviews at either the monitor or EVF -- the cam knows when I'm using the EVF, and does not auto review. But now, if I hit the review arrow on the back of the cam with left thumb while my eye is still at the EVF, the FF review shows in the EVF; if I then hit the "OK" button on the rear with my thumb, it zooms to 100% -- so it does take 2 button pushes for me to chimp at 100% through the EVF, but at the same time nobody knows I'm doing it either! :ROTFL:

SrMphoto

Haha, good one! But let me reiterate the way I have mine set up:

1) Review set to on, "monitor only."
2) "OK" button set to 100% zoom.

Now if I shoot using the rear LCD, the image reviews after the shot. If I punch the OK button, it zooms to 100% at wherever the focus was zeroed on both the rear monitor AND EVF.

If I'm using the EVF, nothing reviews at either the monitor or EVF -- the cam knows when I'm using the EVF, and does not auto review. But now, if I hit the review arrow on the back of the cam with left thumb while my eye is still at the EVF, the FF review shows in the EVF; if I then hit the "OK" button on the rear with my thumb, it zooms to 100% -- so it does take 2 button pushes for me to chimp at 100% through the EVF, but at the same time nobody knows I'm doing it either! :ROTFL:
Using the left thumb for review works well for tripod-based photography. I assume that is your main type of photography. It works less well for handheld, especially with longer lenses when your left hand supports the lens. The advantage of your settings is that it does not 'waste' a button and you can use one of the front buttons for DOF Preview instead.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
SR, I use this cam mostly hand-held -- actually quite natural for me to hit the review button with my left thumb while looking through the finder, admittedly with the smaller glass -- tougher to do with any larger lens that needs the left hand for support -- but then I wonder if I could program the lens function button for review??? Hmmm, need to look into that. Oh, another caveat for this is I am left-handed ;)

Two more "art" lenses arriving today, looking forward to playing with them this weekend!

KeithL

SR, I use this cam mostly hand-held -- actually quite natural for me to hit the review button with my left thumb while looking through the finder, admittedly with the smaller glass -- tougher to do with any larger lens that needs the left hand for support -- but then I wonder if I could program the lens function button for review??? Hmmm, need to look into that. Oh, another caveat for this is I am left-handed ;)

Two more "art" lenses arriving today, looking forward to playing with them this weekend!
Intriguing, we need details and perhaps eventually, pics!

;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Intriguing, we need details and perhaps eventually, pics!

;)
I am betting that one of them you will be able to guess what it is by the images... The other I am hoping you will want to KNOW what it is by the images! :LOL:

rayyan

Jack, with the ‘Art’ lenses you are heading into the heavy weight category...for me.

But I shall eagerly await your results from the ‘weights’ :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, with the ‘Art’ lenses you are heading into the heavy weight category...for me.

But I shall eagerly await your results from the ‘weights’ :)
Ray, these are NOT Sigma "Art" lenses, rather older optical design "artistic" lenses -- and in fact BOTH are pretty light in weight :) One is a newer manufacture of an old design, the other is an older lens with older design -- hint: it's a Sonnar type formula made by a Japanese lens manufacturer, and is at the longer end of "normal" focals. ( :D )

KeithL

Ray, these are NOT Sigma "Art" lenses, rather older optical design "artistic" lenses -- and in fact BOTH are pretty light in weight :) One is a newer manufacture of an old design, the other is an older lens with older design -- hint: it's a Sonnar type formula made by a Japanese lens manufacturer, and is at the longer end of "normal" focals. ( :D )
Interesting.

I've just sold my Zeiss C Sonnar ZM f/1.5 lens which was my favourite lens on my Leica M series cameras but which sadly didn't cut the mustard on my Z7.

Having said that, I await to hear more on Jack's selection and findings with bated breath.

;-)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Keith -- I too liked the Zeiss ZM 1.5 on the M8 -- but this isn't that :D This is an old Japanese built lens, I am going to guess late 50's vintage. And yes, I plan on keeping everybody guessing :LOL:

Dustbak

Keith -- I too liked the Zeiss ZM 1.5 on the M8 -- but this isn't that :D This is an old Japanese built lens, I am going to guess late 50's vintage. And yes, I plan on keeping everybody guessing :LOL:
Voigtlander 58?

Last edited: