The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D780 - living in the past?

Elderly

Sadly, modern Nikon cameras simply do not inspire me like the F, F2, F3, FM, FM2, FM2n, FE2 et all did. I liked using those cameras. Anything past them has been just another over-featured thing that I have to work at, it seems.

G
/\ This.

The F3 and FM2n were the last two enjoyable Nikons I owned, I later tried an F100 because I was curious about auto-focus,
but as I still had decent eyesight at that time, I didn't need it.

Over-featured ..... I found this on the 'net many years ago :ROTFL: :

DougDolde

B&H lists the D780 at $2796.95 and the D850 at $2995.95

Why would anyone pick the D780 ? To save $200 ?

pegelli

I see $ 2296,95 for the D780 at B&H.

So you save 700 $ and 75 grams vs a D850 and except for the resolution of the sensor I don't see too many differences comparing the specs.

I'm not buying either, but it's good to have choices for people who are in the market for a FF DSLR.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
B&H lists the D780 at $2796.95 and the D850 at $2995.95

Why would anyone pick the D780 ? To save $200 ?
$2796.95 is the price with the 24-120mm

For some people, less is more. When I bought my D810 a few years ago, I bought it from someone who spent almost the whole amount buying a D750. He wanted a smaller camera, one that was easier to handle. It's not enough to look at the figures. You must look at the body shape too. The F6 is a good example. It's heavier and wider than all of the above, but the body excluding the grip is much thinner, which makes it extremely easy to hold

DougDolde

I see $ 2296,95 for the D780 at B&H.

So you save 700 $ and 75 grams vs a D850 and except for the resolution of the sensor I don't see too many differences comparing the specs.

I'm not buying either, but it's good to have choices for people who are in the market for a FF DSLR.
OK my mistake. Still I think the D850 is worth 700 more

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
OK my mistake. Still I think the D850 is worth 700 more
It is if you need what the D850 can do. However, if you need a camera that is more compact, or that offers more advanced, higher quality video and live view with functional AF including eye detect etc., the D780 is better value. For some people, a Prius is a better car than a pickup truck, even if the pickup can carry more.

Last edited:

biglouis

Who says one can't have both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m__wmsIn99E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3BehP7toCk

My camera pusher, who won't have a demo camera available (DSLR is special order there now), quickly concluded that "This is the camera that you've been asking for, Jørgen".
I love YouTube. Allows me to connect with my youth, so much. The camera? Meh!

If I can afford it this year, I am still interested in getting a Z6, Z adapter and the pf500.

LouisB

dave.gt

It is if you need what the D850 can do. However, if you need a camera that is more compact, or that offers more advanced, higher quality video and live view with functional AF including eye detect etc., the D780 is better value. For some people, a Prius is a better car than a pickup truck, even if the pickup can carry more.
Haha! Value is so personal, it is a silly path to compare one's path with other's.

Cars are an example. The total price value of my wife's two vintage/ancient? vehicles is about the same as half of a new Nikon D5... but they both are priceless, comfortable, safe, reliable and economical, saving us money every day. So, yes, value is the sum of it's worth to the owner.

The D780 was designed for the market that you just described above. I hope it does extremely well!

The D850 is a fantastic camera, amazing actually. The only reason I sold it was because it added no value to my work or pleasure. Even if it did, I needed the money to pay on our medical bills. Sadly. It got us a little farther along in journey and there will be another system for sale at some point for the same reason. So, value of a product can even cross the line of what the money value will do for the quality of one's life.

A simple example is considering if a camera works for one's technical, ergonomic, spatial, and enjoyment needs. Sometimes, we shift the "needs"/priorities in our scales due to life circumstances. Sometimes we shift our desires and find the requirements which we thought were concrete have changed. Humans are like that, can't "trust" us, we are too fickle!:thumbs:

Absolutes would be so boring, I guess.:)

dave.gt

Haha! Value is so personal, it is a silly path to compare one's path with other's.

Cars are an example. The total market value of my wife's two vintage/ancient? vehicles is about the same as half of a new Nikon D5... but they both are priceless, comfortable, safe, reliable and economical, saving us money every day. So, yes, value is the sum of it's worth to the owner.

The D780 was designed for the market that you just described above. I hope it does extremely well!

The D850 is a fantastic camera, amazing actually. The only reason I sold it was because it added no value to my work or pleasure. Even if it did, I needed the money to pay on our medical bills. Sadly. It got us a little farther along in journey and there will be another system for sale at some point for the same reason. So, value of a product can even cross the line of what the money value will do for the quality of one's life.

A simple example is considering if a camera works for one's technical, ergonomic, spatial, and enjoyment needs. Sometimes, we shift the "needs"/priorities in our scales due to life circumstances. Sometimes we shift our desires and find the requirements which we thought were concrete have changed. Humans are like that, can't "trust" us, we are too fickle!:thumbs:

Absolutes would be so boring, I guess.:)

Last edited:

dave.gt

A personal side bar observation which has nothing to do with this topic!

" it is conceivable that one day, the wirld (an actual typo that just occurred) will be destroyed because of an iPhone autocorrect error."

Surely I am not the only one who has problems with it and the tiny munchkin keyboard!

:ROTFL:

KeithL

"... for now". They have launched 3 DSLR cameras the last 12 months (250D, 90D and 1DX III), and rumours are that a 5D V is in the works. With Canon's extensive lens program, there's really not much to worry about for Canon users.
...for now.

Seriously, there really is no need to worry, even if the production of DSLR cameras and their lenses is slowed or eventually ceased they will still be supported for many years to come.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just to be sure that I'm not totally confused, I took a few minutes to do a price and weight comparison between three cameras with three lenses each, D780, Z6 and A7 III with 24mm f/1.8 (28mm f/2 for the Sony), 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8. This is not a quality comparison. Most people who change to mirrorless claim to do it to reduce weight and size. Sources: B&H and dpr. The $ 200 discount for the Z6 body has been deducted. Weights include one battery and memory card.

Total figures:

D780 price: $3,750
Z6 price: $4,200
A7 III price: $3,300

D780 weight: 1,730 grams
Z6 weight: 2,010 grams
A7 III weight: 1,407 grams

Godfrey

... Most people who change to mirrorless claim to do it to reduce weight and size. ...
Hmm. I can't speak for everyone else, only for me.

That was only my interest when I was looking at compact bodies in Micro-FourThirds and APS-C format, and considering the compact lenses available to match, when portability was the premium. When it came to replacing a DSLR, my motivations were always a better viewfinder and a more versatile body so I could use a wider range of lenses, both native and adapted. And I appreciate the lower noise and less vibration of most mirrorless (at least those from manufacturers that still know how to make a quiet, low vibration shutter...!). Many of the more compact bodies are too compact for my hands to be comfortable working with, poor ergonomically. And many of the ultra-small, ultra-light bodies are too difficult to hold steadily...

I think the marketing weenies pushing "small small light and small" all the time are perhaps the root cause of the impression that "mirrorless" is supposed to be smaller than DSLR... :rolleyes:

G

pegelli

Most people who change to mirrorless claim to do it to reduce weight and size.
I don't know the source of this generalisation but these points are the least important for me. I did change part of my kit to mirrorless for the short flange distance allowing to adapt many different lenses and the possibility of a magnified view through the viewfinder. The reduced weight/size is only a benefit if you choose the right bodies and lenses (as your table shows) :lecture: