The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D780 - living in the past?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I do understand...

My point is, there is a ----let me call it freedom for lack of a better term---- to composition with the WYSIWYG display. If I'm shooting in B&W mode, I see the image in the evf in B&W. If I shoot in color at night, the image in the evf is normalized, previewing the actual lighting I'm about to capture. If I shoot manually, the display darkens and lightens appropriately as I adjust my exposure. At first, I didn't like those aspects -- or thought I didn't, simply because it wasn't what I was used to. After a week, I saw it for the rather significant advantages it offers. YMMV :)
I do know the advantages of course, since I'm not completely new to mirrorless. However, sometimes, I get tired of looking into the LCD, and although with the Panasonic, I can switch off almost all information in the viewfinder, once I use one of the control, half the viewfinder is filled with information that I don't need. It disturbes my mind.

The "traditional" SLR viewfinder, like with the F6:

or even the somewhat more crowded D2X:

suit me much better. All the information is there, but it's not on top of my image.

So maybe F6 + D780 + Z6 then... or even F6 + Df + Z6... or cheaper still F80 (which I have) + Df + Z6. I have time. No new investments until late this year... I think :ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I do know the advantages of course, since I'm not completely new to mirrorless. However, sometimes, I get tired of looking into the LCD, and although with the Panasonic, I can switch off almost all information in the viewfinder, once I use one of the control, half the viewfinder is filled with information that I don't need. It disturbes my mind.

The "traditional" SLR viewfinder, like with the F6:

or even the somewhat more crowded D2X:

suit me much better. All the information is there, but it's not on top of my image.

So maybe F6 + D780 + Z6 then... or even F6 + Df + Z6... or cheaper still F80 (which I have) + Df + Z6. I have time. No new investments until late this year... I think :ROTFL:
On the Olympus mirrorless you have 3 EVF modes and one is exactly like these you describe here - no information on top of the image but at its sides.

So it obviously is only a matter of choice of the right camera to get all you want/need :thumbup:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
On the Olympus mirrorless you have 3 EVF modes and one is exactly like these you describe here - no information on top of the image but at its sides.

So it obviously is only a matter of choice of the right camera to get all you want/need :thumbup:
Actually, you are right. It appears to me now that with two of the four viewfinder settings, the aperture scale doesn't show up when adjusting the aperture. My bad. I learn every day.

Paratom

...for fun I bring this thread up again. As much as I really enjoy the SL2 (and the SL system has been and remains my nost used system for the last 2 years) - at the moment I have a lot of fun with the D500 and its OVF. Using more OVF again I realize that it is more fun for me than looking through a EVF. (I am not deinying EVF also have their advantages)
And frienkly the exp metering of the Nikon is so good that I dont need the "what you see is what you get" in regards of exposure.