The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D6 Update

Swissblad

I really think Nikon is scraping the barrel here - that must be the lousiest product intro video I've seen in a long time - just noise and no substance.
Nothing like the class act announcing the D4 - superb editing - great images - making one eager to try out a new product.
I don't see many running out to upgrade their D5's.

dave.gt

No mirrorless Nikons for me. There is nothing offered by mirrorless cameras that would be of benefit to me and I would lose a lot of what makes a D_ body special for me.

The D6 is obviously a far better tool for action sports. Not that I will be going back to shooting sports, but I would really have no problem with a D5/6 as an all around camera for what I do. And, if I did decide to start shooting action sports again, I would have that covered.

Fit me like the Levi jeans I have been used to since way before Nikon went digital sometime in the last century/millennium.:ROTFL: Old dogs actually know a thing or two that works just for them.

I am just delighted to see the pro market has the latest updated D6. For me, I really have no photo gear needs. Just fun dreaming!:):):)

dave.gt

Cool! Nikon vitriol.:)

I think not, the F6 was and still is the best Nikon film camera, and was the best way to go out of that market. The D6 may or may not be the last DSLR Pro flagship camera. If it is, then Nikon has chosen a great camera to end that market product.

For those wishing for 1 billion Mp images, that obviously was not the point of the D6. :)

Why don't we wait and see how the market goes for Nikon? I would be delighted to have a D6!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What a joke. It's more like a D5s. MINOR upgrades.. Nikon has lost it
Actually the opposite Doug. What Nikon does with their flagship pro line is ask the actual pros using them what features they want in the next body -- a friend of mine is one of those pros. In this case, they didn't actually want more pixels, they wanted even cleaner ISO, and faster/better/stronger wireless transmission and whatever Nikon could do to increase the framerate. Hence what the D6 featured.

Phase would do the same thing, and I was part of one of those meetings. It's really interesting to hear what a circle of pros using the equipment desires as opposed to what the leaders of the company think they want, as opposed to whatever the loudest forum participants want. In most cases for working pros it's not *more or bigger* on anything other than conveniences that ultimately enhance production time and/or improve usability.

Edit: Matt Grayson over on the MF forum under the "Dante" thread there brought up the dangers of using "Survivor Bias" to make decisions. It was a paramount principal for those of us who took any advanced math theory or statistics classes. There is a lot of good information about this if you want to Google it, but the classic story relates to WWII bombers returning home full of holes centered around certain parts of the wing and fuselage. Since the fuselage area was also near where the tail-gunner was positioned, there was a brass decision to armor plate the planes in that location. But a wise general said, no, where they needed to plate was wherever the planes NOT returning home had been hit... IOW, you sometimes need to look at why a thing failed to make the appropriate improvements to the thing that's still successful. And these round-table sessions with working pros who use the equipment offer just that kind of insight...

Last edited:

jduncan

Actually the opposite Doug. What Nikon does with their flagship pro line is ask the actual pros using them what features they want in the next body -- a friend of mine is one of those pros. In this case, they didn't actually want more pixels, they wanted even cleaner ISO, and faster/better/stronger wireless transmission and whatever Nikon could do to increase the framerate. Hence what the D6 featured.

Phase would do the same thing, and I was part of one of those meetings. It's really interesting to hear what a circle of pros using the equipment desires as opposed to what the leaders of the company think they want, as opposed to whatever the loudest forum participants want. In most cases for working pros it's not *more or bigger* on anything other than conveniences that ultimately enhance production time and/or improve usability.

Edit: Matt Grayson over on the MF forum under the "Dante" thread there brought up the dangers of using "Survivor Bias" to make decisions. It was a paramount principal for those of us who took any advanced math theory or statistics classes. There is a lot of good information about this if you want to Google it, but the classic story relates to WWII bombers returning home full of holes centered around certain parts of the wing and fuselage. Since the fuselage area was also near where the tail-gunner was positioned, there was a brass decision to armor plate the planes in that location. But a wise general said, no, where they needed to plate was wherever the planes NOT returning home had been hit... IOW, you sometimes need to look at why a thing failed to make the appropriate improvements to the thing that's still successful. And these round-table sessions with working pros who use the equipment offer just that kind of insight...

Hi,
I have no reason to question what you say, so that is not the intention. The problem is the pros probably ask what they needed at the moment (without seen what Canon did) and more important Nikon can't survive based on the sales to the pros that buy Nikon D5 cameras. This camera sends a pretty clear message to the pros that buy the D850 series and the amateurs: Nikon lacks the talent, drive or execution to stay relevant in the future.
It is not about asking for difficult stuff like "IBIS" is showing investment.
So yes, they asked the pros and give them the minimal set. I believe they are milking the cow as it dies. If the new AF system proves to be something out of this world Nikon may have a chance, and the Pros they ask will love the camera. That may not help Nikon's reputation but they will be happy.

The Nikon. 120-300 f2.8 could have come from a similar "talk to the sports pros" approach and it seems to be a great addition.
Nikon has a strong point against Canon DSLR they have not said they will stop developing DSLR lenses.

Best regards,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
and more important Nikon can't survive based on the sales to the pros that buy Nikon D5 cameras.
You miss the point: Nikon's business model is to feed the pros what they ask for in their top-line pro camera for one specific purpose: marketing the Nikon *brand* to the rest of the consumer photography world. IOW Nikon could care less if you buy a D6, they simply want you and 33% of other consumers to buy *any* Nikon product over Sony or Canon. The pro users help them accomplish this goal.

jduncan

You miss the point: Nikon's business model is to feed the pros what they ask for in their top-line pro camera for one specific purpose: marketing the Nikon *brand* to the rest of the consumer photography world. IOW Nikon could care less if you buy a D6, they simply want you and 33% of other consumers to buy *any* Nikon product over Sony or Canon. The pro users help them accomplish this goal.
I believe this argument falls in line with what I say. It should not be only about the pross that buy D5(s). If the D6 is *also* a marketing device (and I believe it needs to be) it's a very bad one: The internet is full of negative coverage.

If the old guys at Nikon (not age as much as mentality) believe they can turn a blind eye at the internet phenomenon, we know the Dodo and the Rinho are feeling lonely.

This camera sends a bad message about Nikon's future. They should have invested a little more, and give a little more than this update provides.

Canon created the 1D X Mark III for a reason: send a strong message, we are ready to fight and we are improving.

I believe they needed to show something more than a D5 with an (argrubly) better AF.

Best regards,

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I believe this argument falls in line with what I say. It should not be only about the pross that buy D5(s). If the D6 is *also* a marketing device (and I believe it needs to be) it's a very bad one: The internet is full of negative coverage.

If the old guys at Nikon (not age as much as mentality) believe they can turn a blind eye at the internet phenomenon, we know the Dodo and the Rinho are feeling lonely.

This camera sends a bad message about Nikon's future. They should have invested a little more, and give a little more than this update provides.

Canon created the 1D X Mark III for a reason: send a strong message, we are ready to fight and we are improving.

I believe they needed to show something more than a D5 with an (argrubly) better AF.

Best regards,
Now you asume that most photographers fall for the bling of the 1DX III. A few weeks or months after the release of the Canon, I would have to search the internet to remember what those amazing features are. They are not important to me for that kind of camera, so easily forgotten. As a Nikon user, the D6 is much more significant, although it would have been nice if it had better live view and video AF like the D780. However, if I'm going to use live view a lot or need very high quality video, I wouldn't use a D6 at all, but a smaller, lighter camera like the D780 or a mirrorless.

Nikon has always been the maker of serious, boring cameras, and with some exceptions, they are rarely first to the market with new stuff. If they will survive or not with that product philosophy, nobody knows, but I'm quite sure they will never become Sony, not unless Sony buys them.

dave.gt

Now you asume that most photographers fall for the bling of the 1DX III. A few weeks or months after the release of the Canon, I would have to search the internet to remember what those amazing features are. They are not important to me for that kind of camera, so easily forgotten. As a Nikon user, the D6 is much more significant, although it would have been nice if it had better live view and video AF like the D780. However, if I'm going to use live view a lot or need very high quality video, I wouldn't use a D6 at all, but a smaller, lighter camera like the D780 or a mirrorless.

Nikon has always been the maker of serious, boring cameras, and with some exceptions, they are rarely first to the market with new stuff. If they will survive or not with that product philosophy, nobody knows, but I'm quite sure they will never become Sony, not unless Sony buys them.
There is one inescapable fact. The Nikon D6 is expensive. But it is $1500 cheaper than a Leica M10. Granted, those two cameras are not really comparable, however, if one chooses to shoot action sports with a D6 (an amazing performer) and huge selection of lenses, the price is comparable to, and even cheaper, than an amazing M10 rangefinder with a full selection of lenses being used for different purposes. The price appears to be quite in line for what one pays for...

The D6 is the flagship of Nikon's lineup and it has a purpose, primarily to be used where the best AF is needed. Sigh... I wish sometimes I was still shooting motorsports.

Such is the price of admission to the world of photography these days.:bugeyes:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sigh... I wish sometimes I was still shooting motorsports.
So do I sometimes. Then I go to a race, carrying all that gear around for a few hours and have to realise that the memories were better and that I'm not 62 anymore. So I end up having a beer at the pit lane, chatting about the old days with other old farts who have realised that times change.

I consider doing a race on film later this year though, pit lane shots only, including the pretties ;)

stngoldberg

Quote from Dave.gt

“There is one inescapable fact. The Nikon D6 is expensive. But it is $1500 cheaper than a Leica M10. Granted, those two cameras are not really comparable, however, if one chooses to shoot action sports with a D6 (an amazing performer) and huge selection of lenses, the price is comparable to, and even cheaper, than an amazing M10 rangefinder with a full selection of lenses being used for different purposes. The price appears to be quite in line for what one pays for...

The D6 is the flagship of Nikon's lineup and it has a purpose, primarily to be used where the best AF is needed. Sigh... I wish sometimes I was still shooting motorsports.

Such is the price of admission to the world of photography these days.”

My thoughts:

As I discussed in an earlier post On another thread, I was a Nikon fanboy for 30 years and still own many Nikon lenses and the D 850...a marvelous camera..I have rented the Nikon D4 to shoot Ballet in past years and really enjoyed using it
However a few months ago on a lark, I bought the Sony A9 after reading and watching rave reviews
on the camera’s fast focus and tracking.
I paid B&H $2800 for a new camera that had been reduced from $3800 that week because of the introduction of the Sony A9II.
I defy anyone to make the case that the D6 has faster focusing and better tracking than this Sony model at less than half the price; and BTW, Sony has lenses equally amazing to Nikon.
In addition the Sony A9 will deliver 20 frames/sec although at less mpx.
The A9 can-be purchased on Fred Miranda used (less than 500 shots) for $2500.
I will concede that I struggled with the menu system for several days, but I am 80 years old and was never that smart anyway
Stanley

Last edited: