The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z 24-70: f4 vs f2.8 experiences?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have read most of the online reviews, and of course understand the 2.8 is supposedly a significant step up optically from the f4. But I remain pretty solidly impressed with the f4 version performance (not to mention size and weight), at least compared to my own memory recollection of the 24-70/2.8 AF-G VR I owned for my FF DSLR's. I don't have a local shop where I can demo the f2.8, so interested to hear if any of the GetDPI family whom I know and trust have used both and can comment on both optical performance AND handling differences? (Note, the little f4 lens is so good, I would likely keep it for travel due to it's very convenient size.)

In my reality of use, I suspect I would *mostly* use the 2.8 lens at f4 or smaller and only occasionally use it wide open, so I guess my real question becomes does the f2.8's overall performance justify the extra weight, size and cost?

Thanks in advance!

KeithL

One of the main reasons I bought into the Z series was the compact nature of the bodies. Personally speaking, whatever the performance gains, the extra girth, length and heft of the faster lens would negate its use.

That said, it is the differences between folk and their needs that makes life here so interesting.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Keith, your comment resonates with me, and precisely why I asked this question the way I did... You remind me that the whole reason I sold off all my FF DSLR gear was precisely to get smaller, leaner and lighter. But the gear whore in me never quite lies dormant! :rolleyes:

To the person that replied but later deleted their post -- as an admin, I can still read those :ROTFL: But more importantly is I absolutely DO appreciate that comment, and have of course experienced it many times myself, even in HUGE prints. So thank you for the reminder! For the rest of you, the comment centered on how little difference actually shows in even very large print output between the best and more mediocre glass. Yes, you can see it if it's printed and compared side-by-side at the nitty detail level, but in reality usually adds very little to the overall impact of the final print.

I am reminded that one my most successful images with the D800 was made with my *worst* lens at the time -- a 24-120 AF-VR zoom at 24mm f8. It was also hand-held at like 1/10th sec...

SrMphoto

I feel that the Z 24-70 f/2.8 S lens is slightly better than the Z f/4 lens. I agree with Jim Kasson's conclusions: "Again, the fast lens looks very good. For the money, the kit lens is outstanding."

Photon42

I have both zooms - the faster one obviously is heavier, larger and sadly does not collapse. However, it has this sort of clarity which lets me always reach for it over the more compact one. I sold my D810 for it. Means something. I tested it at a local dealer before I bought it. The Z with the 2.8 24-70 is far lighter than Leica’s SL2 and the 24-90.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I feel that the Z 24-70 f/2.8 S lens is slightly better than the Z f/4 lens. I agree with Jim Kasson's conclusions: "Again, the fast lens looks very good. For the money, the kit lens is outstanding."
IMHO that is a very good review for the optical comparison - it does certainly point out how good the kit lens is. While the differences are certainly visible at 100% pixel view, that's about what the difference would be if we printed both 4 feet tall by 6 feet wide and compared them by viewing each with our reading glasses on! I seriously doubt anybody would see any significant difference at even a closer-than-normal viewing distance of 4 feet...

So, perhaps you've answered my question -- until I need f2.8 :LOL:

Ben730

What about a prime, a second lens?
I bought in addition to the S 24-70/f4 the S 35/f1.8.
This lens is light, very sharp and gives the possibility for "really wide open" pictures when needed.
Regards,
Ben

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ben, indeed -- a prime (or three) is definitely under consideration as well! The 35/1.8 S is on the short list too ;)

Photon42

Hi Jack

maybe one thing to add to the 2.8 zoom - in the beginning I was not really tempted, as I value light equipment and I figured that thing will be large and unbalanced. It is clearly larger than its slower sibling, but not unbalanced at all on the Z7. Thanks to the grip to issues i'm walking around with it all day. In general, from the IQ perspective, all Z lenses so far are excellent. There are often promotions going on. I was not on the fence really to buy the 1.8/50, but it was offered with original warranty all new for 299 ... Could not resist.

Cheers
Ivo

rayyan

Is it a surprise that the f2.8 24-70 is ‘ slightly better ‘ then the kit 24-70?
Defeats the purpose for me of a compact system.

Some might indeed need and effectively make use of f2.8
While for some it might be bragging rights.
While for others, it might substitute for missed sessions in the gym.

Having succumbed to Nikon former f2.8 zooms, I have not
honestly found the need or justification for a brick being carried for long
periods.

f2.8? My 50/1.8S is lighter, faster and stellar.
f2.8? I plan to add a 85/1.8S sometime.
A 24/1.8S would be ideal for me for most things!
Add a small flash, and a 24-70 f4S is enough for me.

But then again, it is just my opinion and my wallet.

Photon42

Thanks for the suggested implications.

I like the clarity, f2.8 and acceptable size and love how it handles. I reach for it over the f4 every time. Can you buy primes instead or in addition? Sure.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I really appreciate the good feedback here. I've decided that if after shooting with the f4 lens for a while I find I want f2.8 even just some of the time, I will probably get it. In the meantime, I've ordered a few older primes to play with since that's more in line my shooting desires with this cam anyway. We have a great family of knowledge here to pull from and I'm grateful!