The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z lens roadmap

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Since I was spending money at B&H anyway to preorder the 20/1.8, even though they won't charge me until it ships, I got the 50/1.8 at the same time. Nice lens. Curiously, the exterior barrel is identical to the 35/1.8! Exactly the same shape!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just obtained an nice used 50/1.8 S (thank you JD!) and it is simply spectacular! Over the years I have owned and shot with a plethora of 50's from Leica M f0.95 and f1.0 Nocts, to their pre and ASPH Lux's and Crons; to Canon's f1.2's and f1.4's, to Nikon's f1.2's and f1.4's, and a slew of older classic offerings from Minolta, Olympus and Leica R, and finally including Sigma's ART line. And end of day, this may be the sweetest 50 of the bunch. Seriously. It is so good, I now want a 2nd Z7 body just so this lens can stay bolted to it...

That is all.

PeterA

I just obtained an nice used 50/1.8 S (thank you JD!) and it is simply spectacular! Over the years I have owned and shot with a plethora of 50's from Leica M f0.95 and f1.0 Nocts, to their pre and ASPH Lux's and Crons; to Canon's f1.2's and f1.4's, to Nikon's f1.2's and f1.4's, and a slew of older classic offerings from Minolta, Olympus and Leica R, and finally including Sigma's ART line. And end of day, this may be the sweetest 50 of the bunch. Seriously. It is so good, I now want a 2nd Z7 body just so this lens can stay bolted to it...

That is all.
You might enjoy this video Jack and anyone else interested..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coi19ptZF7Q

Pete

Thorkil

That is all.
Has JD parted with his Z ? and gone to Sony (but he will be back is my guess... :) )

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Has JD parted with his Z ? and gone to Sony (but he will be back is my guess... :) )
Apparently he got enamored over more f1.4 primes from Sony, thinking that is better for his work. But I don’t think he’s sold his Z7 or 85 prime yet. We shall see...

Thorkil

Apparently he got enamored over more f1.4 primes from Sony, thinking that is better for his work. But I don’t think he’s sold his Z7 or 85 prime yet. We shall see...
if there is a need of f0,4 greener grass...then there is a need...:toocool:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
if there is a need of f0,4 greener grass...then there is a need...:toocool:
Spoken like a (nother) man who has been down that road before too!!!! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Seriously, these Z S primes are simply orgasmic -- there, I said it!

Thorkil

Spoken like a (nother) man who has been down that road before too!!!! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Seriously, these Z S primes are simply orgasmic -- there, I said it!
still got the Nikkor 28/1.4D (parked) though :angel:, have to try it out while still alive, I guess...:eek:

JohnBrew

Since no 70-200 f4, will hope image quality from 24-200 will be good throughout range. The S series lenses have been exceptional so far, so just maybe a do-all lens will be good enough.

Thorkil

Since no 70-200 f4, will hope image quality from 24-200 will be good throughout range. The S series lenses have been exceptional so far, so just maybe a do-all lens will be good enough.
hi John I'm also tempted by the 24-200/4-6.3 VR, also while its affordable, even though its not in the S-category, I'll wait to see a solid range of reviews, but hope is green..

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
still got the Nikkor 28/1.4D (parked) though :angel:, have to try it out while still alive, I guess...:eek:
When I sold out of all my "older" FF Nikon cameras and lenses, I let that one go. I knew it wouldn't AF on the Z and its size and relative weight were the main reasons why. But admittedly I miss it, or at least miss the look it generated. For my needs now, the reality is a 28mm pancake at f2.0 or 2.5 would be most ideal. Since getting the current 50/1.8S, my desire for the 40mm pancake has evaporated -- this 50 has become my instant new favorite lens of all time and is going to get its own dedicated body! :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
hi John I'm also tempted by the 24-200/4-6.3 VR, also while its affordable, even though its not in the S-category, I'll wait to see a solid range of reviews, but hope is green..
FWIW, I picked up a 70-300 AF-P FF lens -- refurbished with warranty was under $500, and it is relatively small and lightweight. It falls out a little at 300mm, but is still very usable there. It is very good out to around 240/250, and with the Z7 might be a dead tie to crop down or just use 300... It does require the FTZ, but I leave it mounted to that lens. All I can say is that for now, it is so good in that range I am not looking for anything in the 70-200 range.

The 24-200 is intriguing as a do-it-all travel lens, but I doubt the IQ will compare to the S zooms. If it does in the 24-70 range, then it will get my attention. next there is the consideration that f6.3 at 200mm doesn't excite me very much --not that the approximate f5.0 at 200mm of my choice above is significantly better-- but then a stop is a stop (or 2/3rds) and the lenses I already own perform very well for my needs in those ranges plus a little...

Another little PS FWIW about the 70-300 zoom: I picked up a 2-element 1.8 diopter ($100) and it turns this zoom into a pretty decent variable macro lens with VR and comfortable working distance -- good enough I have no desire for a dedicated macro, at least for my own casual macro needs.

Elderly

IF that lens is good, it will add to my quandary :banghead:.

For my style of photography I feel 'trapped' in micro 4/3rds land because ......
...... my Olympus 12-100 f4 is perfect for 95% of what I need to capture on the hoof;
however I am already contemplating moving up a sensor size to Fuji (XT-4?) + their 18-135.

But a Z6 and the 24-200 weighs about the same, and is not that much bigger than my EM1.2 + 12-100.

But then I would need to replace my PL 50-200 for that other 5% ..... but the size of its FF equivalent would mean that it would nearly always be left at home. :loco:

I've owned Fs, F2s, F3s, FMs, FM2s, F100 since the mid 1960s, and so I feel that once again I'll feel at home with Nikon.

BTW - I despise people (on other forums) who ask "What camera and lens should I buy :rolleyes::p

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
BTW - I despise people (on other forums) who ask "What camera and lens should I buy :rolleyes::p
I get that -- but it's mostly because they don't know what they want when they ask. Here, more people ask the question like, "I want to do X and Y, so am having trouble deciding between C and D." To me, this is a much more thought-provoking type of query and therefore easier to have a discussion about...

Elderly

Sorry - I should have worded that more carefully :eek:.

I was actually having a go at myself for my own vacillation ..... hence the two smilies after that line.

Thorkil

did some few and quick testshots out of the window with the Z7 with FX 70-200/4G ED on. At this first try, the new firmware-update 3.00 seems at first glance to have made nothing but miracles. AF is now quick and seems spot-on the target.
Thats an enormous relief for me, while I love that lens.
Perhaps time to find some deer and try it out
For native lens, one shall perhaps be patient and wait for the 100-400 S-line and hope it will be f4, affordable and modest in weight and size..

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dammit. I like this little 50S prime so freaking much, I got to have the 85S too!

That is all.

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: