The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z lens roadmap

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure you've all seen the list, but me personally, I *really* want the pancake 40 and 28 NOW, two of my favorite walk-around focals! Plus the small size is a big plus for my use too :) The 105S macro is on my short list as well, and likely so will be the 200-600 depending on price -- the Tamron version is reportedly stellar right now, and right at the current Nikon 200-500 pricepoint, so this one needs to be reasonably close for the limited time it will see mounted on one of my bodies...

The other interesting lens to me will be the 24-105 as an all-around travel zoom -- question is optical speed, will it be fixed f4, or more, and of course it will need to be on par optically with the 24-70's. On the upside, it is labelled as an "S-line" lens.

A final observation is the lenses not specifically labelled as "S-line." Notably the pancakes and big zoom, while other yet to be released lenses are so labelled. My guess is the pancakes are going to be f2.8's, and the big zoom may have a top aperture of 6.3, and smaller apertures on may be the trait that keeps them from earning the "S" designation?

PS: I understand the the "S" designation is supposed to stand for "Special" -- or possibly "Sexy" depending on who you ask ;)

KeithL

I'm sure you've all seen the list, bu me personally, I *really* want the pancake 40 and 28 NOW, two of my favorite street focals! The 105S macro is on my short list too, as will likely be the 200-600, depending on price -- the Tamron version is reportedly stellar right now, and right at the current Nikon 200-500 pricepoint.
Size comparison. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63616314?image=0

The two 'Compacts' are also my priority. I'd prefer them to be f2 but it's likely they'll be f2.8. Whatever, the choice to use two truly compact AF lenses on my two truly compact Z series bodies is my true desire.

:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Size comparison. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63616314?image=0

The two 'Compacts' are also my priority. I'd prefer them to be f2 but it's likely they'll be f2.8. Whatever, the choice to use two truly compact AF lenses on my two truly compact Z series bodies is my true desire.

:D
Keith,

we may get lucky and get f2.0, which would be awesome, but I suspect more likely is maybe f2.5... Still a wee bit better than 2.8 ;)

jdphoto

Certainly the 50mm 1.2 and for a zoom the 70-200mm f/2.8. That should have been one of their first, imo!

tcdeveau

I don't understand the priority on zooms but I'm glad the 70-200 2.8S has finally hit the market.

I'm patiently waiting on the 50mm 1.2, and would love to see them come out with a Canon 85mm 1.2 RF equivalent.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 50/1.2 is intriguing, but I hope it's a true bokeh king up through at least f4... Beyond that, have I mentioned I *REALLY* want the 40? :ROTFL:

Darin Marcus

I'll probably take a break from buying new stuff after I get the 70-200mm f/2.8 S.

I had the 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro in my D700 days, but the combo was too big/heavy so I ended up selling the lens. I actually don't shoot real macro, more like closeups, so a 1:2 or 1:3 would be more than enough in case I want to take a closer look at things :D
I appears that Nikon thinks optical VR is more effective that IBIS for longer focal lengths, so I would not be surprised if the S version will include that and end up bigger and heavier than the F version...

As for the non-S zoom lenses, I expect f/6.3 at the long end, less weather sealing, and collapsible design. The Z 16-50mm DX kit zoom is actually a pretty nice lens, in good light...
Hopefully the non-S lenses will not have more sample variations....

Anyways, it seems that the 20mm S will be announced tomorrow - good luck to all that are waiting for this one.

Darin Marcus

The 50/1.2 is intriguing, but I hope it's a true bokeh king up through at least f4... Beyond that, have I mentioned I *REALLY* want the 40? :ROTFL:
Had the Voigtlander 40mm SLII f/2, first on the D40, and then on the D700. Very nice lens, manual focus and all, but on the D700 it was too small and a real pain to physically handle the focus ring, so I had to let it go...

At a similar size a pancake would work much better on a smaller camera like the Z7/6 though.

I got the latest 58mm f/1.4 SLII S, which is much easier to handle, and for some reason is glued to my Df :D

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I really want the 20/1.8... It should be able to create some very unique images. Time will tell if it's all novelty though.

A couple of pancakes would be great! It's just the camera for them.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I really want the 20/1.8... It should be able to create some very unique images. Time will tell if it's all novelty though.
I hear you. But I already sprung for the 14-30, and it is surprisingly good at every focal, even wide open(!) And I rarely use a 24 or wider at anything more open than about f5.6. So while it (and the 24/1.8) are appealing, I'm not sure I can justify even carrying it (or the 24) in the bag, let alone paying for one.

But yes, the pancakes I could easily justify BOTH ;)

KeithL

Nikon "at a transitional stage"

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/6739481235/ces-2020-interview-nikon-we-are-at-a-transitional-stage

I was heartened by the following

"You’ve had 18 months or so to gather feedback from Z 6 and Z 7 users - what lenses do they really want to see? Basically, they’re just saying “more lenses!” But we’re getting most requests for a pancake. The mirrorless camera bodies are smaller than DSLR, but the lenses are still the same size. A lot of our Z 6 and Z 7 customers want to make their system size much smaller, so this is a priority for us."

:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I was heartened by the following

But we’re getting most requests for a pancake.

A lot of our Z 6 and Z 7 customers want to make their system size much smaller, so this is a priority for us."
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

robdeszan

Still no 70-200 f4 on the horizon unfortunately. I thought the 100-300 could potentially be it but it looks massive :(

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I'm sure you've all seen the list, but me personally, I *really* want the pancake 40 and 28 NOW, two of my favorite walk-around focals! Plus the small size is a big plus for my use too :) The 105S macro is on my short list as well, and likely so will be the 200-600 depending on price -- the Tamron version is reportedly stellar right now, and right at the current Nikon 200-500 pricepoint, so this one needs to be reasonably close for the limited time it will see mounted on one of my bodies...

The other interesting lens to me will be the 24-105 as an all-around travel zoom -- question is optical speed, will it be fixed f4, or more, and of course it will need to be on par optically with the 24-70's. On the upside, it is labelled as an "S-line" lens.

A final observation is the lenses not specifically labelled as "S-line." Notably the pancakes and big zoom, while other yet to be released lenses are so labelled. My guess is the pancakes are going to be f2.8's, and the big zoom may have a top aperture of 6.3, and smaller apertures on may be the trait that keeps them from earning the "S" designation?

PS: I understand the the "S" designation is supposed to stand for "Special" -- or possibly "Sexy" depending on who you ask ;)

Traditionally (well in electronics and video games anyway) the “S” designator stood for “Superior” or of the highest grade when it came to rankings.