Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nikon Z lens roadmap

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon Z lens roadmap

I'm sure you've all seen the list, but me personally, I *really* want the pancake 40 and 28 NOW, two of my favorite walk-around focals! Plus the small size is a big plus for my use too The 105S macro is on my short list as well, and likely so will be the 200-600 depending on price -- the Tamron version is reportedly stellar right now, and right at the current Nikon 200-500 pricepoint, so this one needs to be reasonably close for the limited time it will see mounted on one of my bodies...

The other interesting lens to me will be the 24-105 as an all-around travel zoom -- question is optical speed, will it be fixed f4, or more, and of course it will need to be on par optically with the 24-70's. On the upside, it is labelled as an "S-line" lens.

A final observation is the lenses not specifically labelled as "S-line." Notably the pancakes and big zoom, while other yet to be released lenses are so labelled. My guess is the pancakes are going to be f2.8's, and the big zoom may have a top aperture of 6.3, and smaller apertures on may be the trait that keeps them from earning the "S" designation?

PS: I understand the the "S" designation is supposed to stand for "Special" -- or possibly "Sexy" depending on who you ask

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nikon Z lens roadmap

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm sure you've all seen the list, bu me personally, I *really* want the pancake 40 and 28 NOW, two of my favorite street focals! The 105S macro is on my short list too, as will likely be the 200-600, depending on price -- the Tamron version is reportedly stellar right now, and right at the current Nikon 200-500 pricepoint.
    Size comparison. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63616314?image=0

The two 'Compacts' are also my priority. I'd prefer them to be f2 but it's likely they'll be f2.8. Whatever, the choice to use two truly compact AF lenses on my two truly compact Z series bodies is my true desire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Size comparison. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63616314?image=0

The two 'Compacts' are also my priority. I'd prefer them to be f2 but it's likely they'll be f2.8. Whatever, the choice to use two truly compact AF lenses on my two truly compact Z series bodies is my true desire.

Keith,

we may get lucky and get f2.0, which would be awesome, but I suspect more likely is maybe f2.5... Still a wee bit better than 2.8
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly the 50mm 1.2 and for a zoom the 70-200mm f/2.8. That should have been one of their first, imo!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand the priority on zooms but I'm glad the 70-200 2.8S has finally hit the market.

I'm patiently waiting on the 50mm 1.2, and would love to see them come out with a Canon 85mm 1.2 RF equivalent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 50/1.2 is intriguing, but I hope it's a true bokeh king up through at least f4... Beyond that, have I mentioned I *REALLY* want the 40?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer. No 70-200 f4.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll probably take a break from buying new stuff after I get the 70-200mm f/2.8 S.

I had the 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro in my D700 days, but the combo was too big/heavy so I ended up selling the lens. I actually don't shoot real macro, more like closeups, so a 1:2 or 1:3 would be more than enough in case I want to take a closer look at things
    I appears that Nikon thinks optical VR is more effective that IBIS for longer focal lengths, so I would not be surprised if the S version will include that and end up bigger and heavier than the F version...

As for the non-S zoom lenses, I expect f/6.3 at the long end, less weather sealing, and collapsible design. The Z 16-50mm DX kit zoom is actually a pretty nice lens, in good light...
    Hopefully the non-S lenses will not have more sample variations....

Anyways, it seems that the 20mm S will be announced tomorrow - good luck to all that are waiting for this one.

Post Thanks / Like

The 50/1.2 is intriguing, but I hope it's a true bokeh king up through at least f4... Beyond that, have I mentioned I *REALLY* want the 40?
    Had the Voigtlander 40mm SLII f/2, first on the D40, and then on the D700. Very nice lens, manual focus and all, but on the D700 it was too small and a real pain to physically handle the focus ring, so I had to let it go...

At a similar size a pancake would work much better on a smaller camera like the Z7/6 though.

I got the latest 58mm f/1.4 SLII S, which is much easier to handle, and for some reason is glued to my Df

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I really want the 20/1.8... It should be able to create some very unique images. Time will tell if it's all novelty though.

A couple of pancakes would be great! It's just the camera for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    I really want the 20/1.8... It should be able to create some very unique images. Time will tell if it's all novelty though.
    I hear you. But I already sprung for the 14-30, and it is surprisingly good at every focal, even wide open(!) And I rarely use a 24 or wider at anything more open than about f5.6. So while it (and the 24/1.8) are appealing, I'm not sure I can justify even carrying it (or the 24) in the bag, let alone paying for one.

But yes, the pancakes I could easily justify BOTH
    Jack

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I love the 14-30, it's a GREAT lens!

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon "at a transitional stage"

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/...sitional-stage

I was heartened by the following

"You’ve had 18 months or so to gather feedback from Z 6 and Z 7 users - what lenses do they really want to see? Basically, they’re just saying “more lenses!” But we’re getting most requests for a pancake. The mirrorless camera bodies are smaller than DSLR, but the lenses are still the same size. A lot of our Z 6 and Z 7 customers want to make their system size much smaller, so this is a priority for us."

https://www.keithlaban.co.uk
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post

I was heartened by the following

But we’re getting most requests for a pancake.

A lot of our Z 6 and Z 7 customers want to make their system size much smaller, so this is a priority for us."
    Jack

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I preordered the 20/1.8 S with B&H. Est. ship late March.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if you've seen this Jack, but Nikon Rumors recently published a couple of charts that show the relative sizes of all the Z lenses on the current roadmap, including the pancakes

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/02/17/n...parisons.aspx/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Marcus View Post
    Not sure if you've seen this Jack, but Nikon Rumors recently published a couple of charts that show the relative sizes of all the Z lenses on the current roadmap, including the pancakes

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/02/17/n...parisons.aspx/
    Yup, tiny -- and why I want them NOW!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still no 70-200 f4 on the horizon unfortunately. I thought the 100-300 could potentially be it but it looks massive
    Last edited by robdeszan; 19th February 2020 at 13:23. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robdeszan View Post
    Still no 70-200 f4 on the horizon unfortunately. I thought the 100-300 could potentially be it but it looks massive

Yes!! I would love to see a 70-200/4 with the same optical quality as the 24-70/4!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you've all seen the list, but me personally, I *really* want the pancake 40 and 28 NOW, two of my favorite walk-around focals! Plus the small size is a big plus for my use too The 105S macro is on my short list as well, and likely so will be the 200-600 depending on price -- the Tamron version is reportedly stellar right now, and right at the current Nikon 200-500 pricepoint, so this one needs to be reasonably close for the limited time it will see mounted on one of my bodies...

The other interesting lens to me will be the 24-105 as an all-around travel zoom -- question is optical speed, will it be fixed f4, or more, and of course it will need to be on par optically with the 24-70's. On the upside, it is labelled as an "S-line" lens.

A final observation is the lenses not specifically labelled as "S-line." Notably the pancakes and big zoom, while other yet to be released lenses are so labelled. My guess is the pancakes are going to be f2.8's, and the big zoom may have a top aperture of 6.3, and smaller apertures on may be the trait that keeps them from earning the "S" designation?

PS: I understand the the "S" designation is supposed to stand for "Special" -- or possibly "Sexy" depending on who you ask

Traditionally (well in electronics and video games anyway) the “S” designator stood for “Superior” or of the highest grade when it came to rankings.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Traditionally (well in electronics and video games anyway) the “S” designator stood for “Superior” or of the highest grade when it came to rankings.
    That works too
    Jack

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I was spending money at B&H anyway to preorder the 20/1.8, even though they won't charge me until it ships, I got the 50/1.8 at the same time. Nice lens. Curiously, the exterior barrel is identical to the 35/1.8! Exactly the same shape!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just obtained an nice used 50/1.8 S (thank you JD!) and it is simply spectacular! Over the years I have owned and shot with a plethora of 50's from Leica M f0.95 and f1.0 Nocts, to their pre and ASPH Lux's and Crons; to Canon's f1.2's and f1.4's, to Nikon's f1.2's and f1.4's, and a slew of older classic offerings from Minolta, Olympus and Leica R, and finally including Sigma's ART line. And end of day, this may be the sweetest 50 of the bunch. Seriously. It is so good, I now want a 2nd Z7 body just so this lens can stay bolted to it...

That is all.
    Jack

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just obtained an nice used 50/1.8 S (thank you JD!) and it is simply spectacular! Over the years I have owned and shot with a plethora of 50's from Leica M f0.95 and f1.0 Nocts, to their pre and ASPH Lux's and Crons; to Canon's f1.2's and f1.4's, to Nikon's f1.2's and f1.4's, and a slew of older classic offerings from Minolta, Olympus and Leica R, and finally including Sigma's ART line. And end of day, this may be the sweetest 50 of the bunch. Seriously. It is so good, I now want a 2nd Z7 body just so this lens can stay bolted to it...

That is all.
    You might enjoy this video Jack and anyone else interested..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coi19ptZF7Q

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    You might enjoy this video Jack and anyone else interested..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coi19ptZF7Q

Pete
    Hahaha! Well, he's right!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is all.
    Has JD parted with his Z ? and gone to Sony (but he will be back is my guess... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Has JD parted with his Z ? and gone to Sony (but he will be back is my guess... )
    Apparently he got enamored over more f1.4 primes from Sony, thinking that is better for his work. But I don’t think he’s sold his Z7 or 85 prime yet. We shall see...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apparently he got enamored over more f1.4 primes from Sony, thinking that is better for his work. But I don’t think he’s sold his Z7 or 85 prime yet. We shall see...
    if there is a need of f0,4 greener grass...then there is a need...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if there is a need of f0,4 greener grass...then there is a need...
    Spoken like a (nother) man who has been down that road before too!!!!

Seriously, these Z S primes are simply orgasmic -- there, I said it!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Spoken like a (nother) man who has been down that road before too!!!!

Seriously, these Z S primes are simply orgasmic -- there, I said it!
    still got the Nikkor 28/1.4D (parked) though , have to try it out while still alive, I guess...

Post Thanks / Like

Since no 70-200 f4, will hope image quality from 24-200 will be good throughout range. The S series lenses have been exceptional so far, so just maybe a do-all lens will be good enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    Since no 70-200 f4, will hope image quality from 24-200 will be good throughout range. The S series lenses have been exceptional so far, so just maybe a do-all lens will be good enough.
    hi John I'm also tempted by the 24-200/4-6.3 VR, also while its affordable, even though its not in the S-category, I'll wait to see a solid range of reviews, but hope is green..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

still got the Nikkor 28/1.4D (parked) though , have to try it out while still alive, I guess...
    When I sold out of all my "older" FF Nikon cameras and lenses, I let that one go. I knew it wouldn't AF on the Z and its size and relative weight were the main reasons why. But admittedly I miss it, or at least miss the look it generated. For my needs now, the reality is a 28mm pancake at f2.0 or 2.5 would be most ideal. Since getting the current 50/1.8S, my desire for the 40mm pancake has evaporated -- this 50 has become my instant new favorite lens of all time and is going to get its own dedicated body!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hi John I'm also tempted by the 24-200/4-6.3 VR, also while its affordable, even though its not in the S-category, I'll wait to see a solid range of reviews, but hope is green..
    FWIW, I picked up a 70-300 AF-P FF lens -- refurbished with warranty was under $500, and it is relatively small and lightweight. It falls out a little at 300mm, but is still very usable there. It is very good out to around 240/250, and with the Z7 might be a dead tie to crop down or just use 300... It does require the FTZ, but I leave it mounted to that lens. All I can say is that for now, it is so good in that range I am not looking for anything in the 70-200 range.

The 24-200 is intriguing as a do-it-all travel lens, but I doubt the IQ will compare to the S zooms. If it does in the 24-70 range, then it will get my attention. next there is the consideration that f6.3 at 200mm doesn't excite me very much --not that the approximate f5.0 at 200mm of my choice above is significantly better-- but then a stop is a stop (or 2/3rds) and the lenses I already own perform very well for my needs in those ranges plus a little...

Another little PS FWIW about the 70-300 zoom: I picked up a 2-element 1.8 diopter ($100) and it turns this zoom into a pretty decent variable macro lens with VR and comfortable working distance -- good enough I have no desire for a dedicated macro, at least for my own casual macro needs.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    IF that lens is good, it will add to my quandary .

For my style of photography I feel 'trapped' in micro 4/3rds land because ......
    ...... my Olympus 12-100 f4 is perfect for 95% of what I need to capture on the hoof;
    however I am already contemplating moving up a sensor size to Fuji (XT-4?) + their 18-135.

But a Z6 and the 24-200 weighs about the same, and is not that much bigger than my EM1.2 + 12-100.

But then I would need to replace my PL 50-200 for that other 5% ..... but the size of its FF equivalent would mean that it would nearly always be left at home.

I've owned Fs, F2s, F3s, FMs, FM2s, F100 since the mid 1960s, and so I feel that once again I'll feel at home with Nikon.

BTW - I despise people (on other forums) who ask "What camera and lens should I buy
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elderly View Post

BTW - I despise people (on other forums) who ask "What camera and lens should I buy
    I get that -- but it's mostly because they don't know what they want when they ask. Here, more people ask the question like, "I want to do X and Y, so am having trouble deciding between C and D." To me, this is a much more thought-provoking type of query and therefore easier to have a discussion about...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elderly View Post
    hI despise people (on other forums) who ask "What camera and lens should I buy?"
    Why would you despise anyone? They just don't know anything about cameras. No need to waste your valuable time responding to them. Someone else will help them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry - I should have worded that more carefully .

I was actually having a go at myself for my own vacillation ..... hence the two smilies after that line.
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

did some few and quick testshots out of the window with the Z7 with FX 70-200/4G ED on. At this first try, the new firmware-update 3.00 seems at first glance to have made nothing but miracles. AF is now quick and seems spot-on the target.
    Thats an enormous relief for me, while I love that lens.
    Perhaps time to find some deer and try it out
    For native lens, one shall perhaps be patient and wait for the 100-400 S-line and hope it will be f4, affordable and modest in weight and size..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dammit. I like this little 50S prime so freaking much, I got to have the 85S too!

That is all.

Jack

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dammit. I like this little 50S prime so freaking much, I got to have the 85S too!

That is all.

It is not going to stop there I am afraid. This is only the 1.8. It really makes me curious about the 50/1.2... (and the others yet to be announced)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is all.

beware, from a friends pictures, to me it looks like the 85 is more "clean", a bit less character, so perhaps emotionwise more cold (?, but I don't own it, so I can't tell for sure)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

beware, from a friends pictures, to me it looks like the 85 is more "clean", a bit less character, so perhaps emotionwise more cold (?, but I don't own it, so I can't tell for sure)
    JD who's going to Sony, didn't like it as much as his 105/1.4; then I talk to another guy who sold his 105/1.4 after getting the 85S because he always went for the 85S. I see the images, and I like what I see from the 85S. I do know from past, *I* prefer using an 85 for portraits and people and even environmental landscape isolations over a 105. Given I am now solidly in the Z camp, I think the 85S is going to land in my bag
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

JD who's going to Sony, didn't like it as much as his 105/1.4; then I talk to another guy who sold his 105/1.4 after getting the 85S because he always went for the 85S. I see the images, and I like what I see from the 85S. I do know from past, *I* prefer using an 85 for portraits and people and even environmental landscape isolations over a 105. Given I am now solidly in the Z camp, I think the 85S is going to land in my bag
    Review just posted by Photography Life: https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-z-85mm-f1-8-s

Post Thanks / Like

I own both the 85s as well as the 105/1.4. I have noticed the 85 has more contrast and appears to be a tad sharper than the 105. The 85 may not be as stellar as the 50 but IMO it comes pretty damn close.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sigh. Ordered the 85/1.8 S as well.

You guys aren't helping...

Seriously though, these lenses are such bargains given the incredible performance it's hard not to simply buy them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbak View Post
    I own both the 85s as well as the 105/1.4. I have noticed the 85 has more contrast and appears to be a tad sharper than the 105. The 85 may not be as stellar as the 50 but IMO it comes pretty damn close.
    Completely agree. The 85 is very close to the stellar 50.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Marcus View Post
    Review just posted by Photography Life: https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-z-85mm-f1-8-s
    Damn... but I was going to buy the D780 and 105/1.4, wasn't I

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just have to bend over down in the dust considering the 85/1.8 I guess, but I'm lucky, I just can't afford it for the time being...
    Jørgen, just as Jack did, you will feel more than just "coming home" using a Z...
    I was convinced that the new 20/1.8S would be the one I just had to buy, but on the other hand, what can it offer that the 14-30 don't offer? better use in twilight? (but I wonder if I will use it at all in twilight), better bokeh?, but bokeh on a wide 20mm, come on, or what ????

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just have to bend over down in the dust considering the 85/1.8 I guess, but I'm lucky, I just can't afford it for the time being...
    Jørgen, just as Jack did, you will feel more than just "coming home" using a Z...
    I was convinced that the new 20/1.8S would be the one I just had to buy, but on the other hand, what can it offer that the 14-30 don't offer? better use in twilight? (but I wonder if I will use it at all in twilight), better bokeh?, but bokeh on a wide 20mm, come on, or what ????
    Thorkil, you raise another interesting point. The little zoom is so good, it obviates primes in that range for me since I don't need optical speed with ultra and wide angle. The 24-70/4 is as good or better, and will likely suffice for travel and all-around, but for the shallower DoF look I want some optical speed and these little 1.8S primes are simply killing it performance-wise! Point is, one can get by with a whole lot less than before if they choose wisely to suit their needs. On that topic, if I'm honest I do not need the 85 --- but I still want it for the look it renders
    Jack