The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No reports here on the D3x

AlexLF

I got my D3x two days ago. This is my first Nikon because I was a Canon shooter before. I sold my 5D and were looking at 5D mkII but then switched my mind to Nikon D3x. Partially because of lenses (12-24 and Zeiss primes).

No regrets now, I love the camera!

harmsr

Workshop Member
Can anyone confirm the shooting frame rates on the D3x.

Nikon advertises 5 FPS on full frame. Does it slow down when you go from 12 bit to 14 bit? ( The D300 frame rate went way down doing this. The D3 had no change in frame rate. )

Thanks,

Ray

Lars

Nikon only gives their max #. In the dpreview tests, Phil found that it starts at 2fps, and drops to 1.1 fps when the buffer fills

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3x/page13.asp
It's not quite clear from Nikon why the frame rate drops so much in 14-bit mode. Apparently DR really improves, so people have speculated that the sensor is read multiple times and averaged to reduce noise, or somehow read with the A/D converter at different levels to get deeper into shadows. No hard facts though.

Francois_A

Wow, that's interesting... I find I have *significantly* more total DR out of my MF back than any DSLR file I've played with, including the 1Ds3, D3x and A900, given each is properly exposed to begin with.
Jack, in terms of f-stops, what would be the increase in DR of a P25/45+ compared to a Canon 1Ds3 ?

Thanks,

Francois

AlexLF

Thanks for your responses! I'll be posting some more pics later when they're ready (I'm trying to understand and use everything I've read from Dan Margulis book "Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction"...).

wayne_s

Nice shot Andree!
Looks like you are enjoying your new 80 Lux. :)
I like the smooth sharpness of this lens and the
beautiful skin tones. Usual great Leica color in the dress.
This shot looks to be around f4?
How do you like the lens wide open?

deepdiver

Nice shot Andree!
Looks like you are enjoying your new 80 Lux. :)
I like the smooth sharpness of this lens and the
beautiful skin tones. Usual great Leica color in the dress.
This shot looks to be around f4?
How do you like the lens wide open?
Hi Wayne, glad that u like the pic :)
it was taken using F2- F2.5 :D :D
this lens is a bit weird, from F1.4 - F2 the result is a bit glowing, not pin sharp (but with superb bokeh..!!)
however, starting from F2.5 and above, this lens will give a super sharp result :eek:

these 2 was taken using F2

this @F1.4

I really want to try LEICA 90/2 APO and compare the result with this lens at F2...
Need to start saving money >_<

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Stay with the 80 lux it has a look the 90 cron will not give you. The 90 cron is more clinical in look but it is sharp as a razor wide open. The 80 lux at F2 it starts to come alive and at 2.8 it's very sharp but at 1.4 it has the glow. For models and fashion I would stay with the 80 lux myself. Even F4 on a 80 lux is a sweet Fstop

deepdiver

Hi Guy!
thank a lot for the information.
sometime when i look at the result from LUX 80/1.4 @F2, I'm a bit disappointed due to not too sharp. However, when I look at the image + the bokeh, the result is very interesting. I really like the look from it :)

I wish lux 80/1.4 is as sharp as 90/2 APO at @F2 :D
anyway, here is a simple shot that I took this morning using LUX 80/1.4 at wide open

Andree

Lars

Andree, that 80 Lux looks great at f2, internal vignetting is mostly gone so background bokeh is more symmetrical across the image circle. I'd say it's more important to pay attention to the background at f1.4 than at f2, especially at night where you have specular light sources against a dark background. OTOH as you point out at f1.4 it has that glow softness around the plane of focus which is eliminated when stopping down.