Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No reports here on the D3x

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No reports here on the D3x

Surprised i am not seeing any reports of the D3x here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: No reports here on the D3x

Too much moolah for most of us. At $6k they would be flying out the door. Also the A900, at $3k, makes spending this kind of money for the Nikon a non-starter. JMHO

Woody

LivingFiction

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not only is the A900 much cheaper than the D3X, but some of the most important Sony/Zeiss lenses are at least equal to and sometimes better than the corresponding Nikkors. I would love to have a D3X, but it's way above my budget, and the 135, which would be one of my most used lenses, is in no way up to the quality of the Zeiss/Sony. The Nikkor is also lacking VR as well as AF-S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LivingFiction View Post
    Pretty funny, saw that before
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully someone will step up to the challenge of getting the rest of us lusting after one.

The A900 is very nice and offers great price/performance, but I personally find the lens selection a little too limited (vs. what can be bolted on/converted to a Nikkor) at this juncture and would want to see where Sony is headed from here with it's pro DSLRs before making any buy-in decision.

On the other hand, a used D3x or the (inevitable) D700X is definitely on my watch list.

Ranger 9

The people who actually bought a D3x probably spend their time making money with it, rather than writing stuff on photography forums.

Affluent hobbyists who could afford to buy one for fun use won't do so because it doesn't have a Q46 space modulator, and because the lenses don't have German names on them.

Post Thanks / Like

When the D3X saw the light of the day with the spec's we all know, this was my final trigger to go for the 5D2 and some nice Canon L glass.

And you know what? I have NEVER regret this yet! Although a Nikon user (including D3) for several years now. But shooting C is a big relief in terms of great files, excellent overall performance for a reasonable price and excellent glass - even compared to some of the highly acclaimed Nikkor glass.

So this might be a reason also for some other folks who considered a D3X, but finally decided not to buy one or go for another brand either due to missing functions in this high priced body or because of the price.

Sorry for Nikon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    When the D3X saw the light of the day with the spec's we all know, this was my final trigger to go for the 5D2 and some nice Canon L glass.

So this might be a reason also for some other folks who considered a D3X, but finally decided not to buy one or go for another brand either due to missing functions in this high priced body or because of the price.
    Yep indeed! I bought a *used* 1Ds3 at a fraction of the new price, got similar sensor resolution, similar specs as well as an auto-cleaning sensor AND a few used L zooms plus a TSE lens for less than the D3x body alone would have cost me. In fact I still have some $$$ left over for another lens before I hit the D3x's pricepoint...

Oh, and as a friend pointed out, I can mount Nikon or Leica glass on this body too!

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can mount Leica and Zeiss on a Nikon also. That benefit has disappeared for Canon. I know the price seems high on them but wondering how the files look. I like the ergonomics much better on a Nikon myself. My issue with Sony is not enough lenses and worried about high ISO work although Marc has shown some really nice samples in the high ISO area. The other question I was looking for on it was DR and tonal range. But my biggest issue with Nikon was color has any of this changed for the better. Trying to get a sense of what is going on in 35mm these days. I am looking at Top end. I know what the D700 are and the 5D2 neither one I have a primary interest in more a secondary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Surprised i am not seeing any reports of the D3x here.
    Guy,

My guess for so few reports is that all of the fora chatter I've seen about D3x has quickly turned into a waste of time. Posts from people with hands on D3x experience are drown out by the chatter of people who have not used one, but have strong opinions on how Nikon screwed up pricing or that Sony/Canon alternatives are equal, better, more cost effective, better lenses, etc. etc. etc. I am not saying that Sony or Canon aren't good, better, best... but it seems a waste of time to offer comments on D3x only the the chorus saying that you are wrong because they don't like the price or whatever. Somehow the D3x has become a lightening rod.

I also agree with Ranger 9 that most people who have one are probably out making money with it. From my experience with D3x, it is an incredible tool. It is also very demanding on glass and technique; it will amplify any weakness and mistake you make. But, it is capable of producing some of the best files (color, contrast, sharpness, dynamic range, etc.) I've seen/worked with right out of the camera. To my eye, the files have special characteristic of dimensionality, texture and appear more lifelike than other files I've worked with (the M8 is probably closest, again... to my eye). YMMV

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go out and try to make some money.

John
    Last edited by sc_john; 14th April 2009 at 10:53. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks John. I am trying to do the same here. Been WAY to quiet

Post Thanks / Like

The D3 was (and still is) a great camera - except that I still do not like the colors coming out of this box. The D3X shows - in my eyes - very bad higher ISO performance and I also do not like the colors. Plus I do not see any real future groundbreaking ideas behind Nikon development, as they only can rely on the Sony sensor production and do not have their own sensor development / production as Canon has.

Actually I expect some groundbreaking new developments in Canon high end DSLR models. And if they manage to keep up with the colors their sensors produce already today and stick with the ergonomics they have built into the 1DsMkxyz series, then this will be a real highlight.

Needless to say that I prefer the handling of Canon much more than Nikon. And I am much more pleased with their overall IQ results compared to Nikon. More innovation behind and this can be seen.

So if I would need a Pro DSLR body, I would not hesitate a second and buy the 1DsMk3

Ranger 9

The camera I prefer is much better than all the other cameras. Its handling is better and it produces results that look better than those from other cameras. It is superior because it has the most important features while omitting the silly frills that a real photographer doesn't really need. Its lenses are better, too. And its manufacturer will be introducing even more superior models in the future, because they are better than all those other manufacturers.

There, that should cover everything for everybody. Feel free to copy and paste for future use.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    The camera I prefer is much better than all the other cameras. Its handling is better and it produces results that look better than those from other cameras. It is superior because it has the most important features while omitting the silly frills that a real photographer doesn't really need. Its lenses are better, too. And its manufacturer will be introducing even more superior models in the future, because they are better than all those other manufacturers.

There, that should cover everything for everybody. Feel free to copy and paste for future use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Must be the D brand

tetsrfun

D3x...My poor man full frame alternative...Dusted of the F100 + 14-24 f2.8 and Ektar 100.

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think most of us are waiting for the other shoe to drop: D700X/D800.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post

Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Guy Check Digllyod s site for his reports on the D3X paired with Zeiss and Leica glass. He takes a "price independent" view and makes no value judgement on "is the difference worth it". He is pretty sold on the D3x and has the testing to back up his viewpoint...worth a read.

The price will come down....it started at $7999 ..now its pretty easy to find one for $7499. At around $7000 it starts to look interesting .....but eventually Nikon will drop the sensor into a D700x and then you have a smaller form,weather resistant body at half the price (still $3500-4000).

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon has probably done the right thing here. Those who really need the D3x, and are heavily invested in Nikon glass, have probably bought it already, fully aware of the fact that it will drop in price eventually. That way, Nikon has been able to earn some extra cash to pay for the development of the camera. Whatever they can sell for a reduced price later, and after the D700x has been launched, is just the icing on the cake.

Whenever very high resolution is needed in a really solidly built camera body, there are only two alternatives, and they are both expensive. For some, standing in the middle of nowhere, after a lengthy journey, with a soaked, non-functional camera body, isn't an attractive option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Guy Check Digllyod s site for his reports on the D3X paired with Zeiss and Leica glass. He takes a "price independent" view and makes no value judgement on "is the difference worth it". He is pretty sold on the D3x and has the testing to back up his viewpoint...worth a read.

The price will come down....it started at $7999 ..now its pretty easy to find one for $7499. At around $7000 it starts to look interesting .....but eventually Nikon will drop the sensor into a D700x and then you have a smaller form,weather resistant body at half the price (still $3500-4000).

Roger
    Thanks Roger that is what started my wondering as I read Lloyds review early this morning. Good guy and good friends of GetDPI. Actually Him, Jack and Bob have been helping me with my laptop with the SSD drives . Got a pretty fast 15 inch rocket going here. Probably should give everyone a full report on it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny, I like new gear as much as anyone around and I am not lusting after a D700x. The D700 is fine. I love having the super high ISO where I don't even need to think about how much light there is and 12mp seems to do just fine for me.

Now if Nikon would take the D700 sensor, put it in a smaller camera ( a la micro 4/3) with no mirror, smaller lenses (m mount sized) and so on.....one can dream

Post Thanks / Like

I own Nikon D3X
    But I dunno what to report in here....
    this camera basically identical to Nikon D3, I can only tell the different at MP only.
    To be honest, when I'm using this camera, I fell like using my old D3
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    Here are some images from the GetDPI 2009 Moab Workshop taken with the D-3X. I've not posted before, hopefully they will look OK.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These look nice Bob glad to see you post also.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some shots made with the D3x.
    I used to work with the Canon 1DsMk3, but moved back to Nikon
    some month ago. The Image quality is better and they have a 24mm
    shift lens that really works. Hope you like the samples.

Ydo
    Last edited by Y Sol; 8th June 2009 at 06:09.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Ydo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those are very nice, Ydo.

I assume photo number 2 is taken with the 24mm PC-E. Would it be possible to see a crop from one of the corners?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They are very nice. I had the 24 PC lens very briefly and it is very nice

Post Thanks / Like

I realize that not much faith is put in the DxO analyzer tests(and they may not work for MF comparisons) ..but I find them very informative. If you look carefully at the D3X,D3 and the 1Ds3......you can see how tone and color change with increasing ISO.

Which I found interesting is that the D3X advantages are all in the lowest ISO s. Even at ISO 200 the D3 starts to match the D3x and at 400 its best in class. So at ISO 100 the D3X is champ and has greater dynamic range ,color saturation etc....but at 400 the D3 is best.

Of course having twice the MP has advantages beyond what DxO is measuring .

I would have guessed that the D3X would better the competition at least thru ISO 800.

it looks like Nikon isn t really offering "better" but rather an alternative with different strengths and weaknesses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I forget but can you shoot smaller files on this unit in Raw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was able to use a D3x for a couple weeks. Controls and such were identical... holding it was like holding my D3 (obvious.. since they use the same body)... However.. the similarity disappeared when shooting. There is a noticeable difference in 'feel' when firing even a single shot.. the re-cocking of the shutter (and thus the feel of the camera being 'ready' for the next shot) is a *lot* faster on the D3. You can hear this difference in the 'pitch' of the sound of the shutter. The camera feels more like a MFDB in responsiveness than a DSLR (even the Canon 1dsmk3, which i've also used).

I used the D3x in the 14bit mode, where the frame rate is < 2fps (again.. closer to MFDB speed than DSLR)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So in 14 bit it is 2fps. Sounds a lot like MF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    I was able to use a D3x for a couple weeks. Controls and such were identical... holding it was like holding my D3 (obvious.. since they use the same body)... However.. the similarity disappeared when shooting. There is a noticeable difference in 'feel' when firing even a single shot.. the re-cocking of the shutter (and thus the feel of the camera being 'ready' for the next shot) is a *lot* faster on the D3. You can hear this difference in the 'pitch' of the sound of the shutter.
    So Jim, did you find the small pixel size (5.9 microns I think) of the D3x to be problematic for DOF issues? Theoretically it should start softening up due to diffraction around F8-F9 or a max of F11. Would you concur?

Thanks

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    So Jim, did you find the small pixel size (5.9 microns I think) of the D3x to be problematic for DOF issues? Theoretically it should start softening up due to diffraction around F8-F9 or a max of F11. Would you concur?

Thanks

Rob
    yea.. that would be my experience. I still like the look of the MF files, and the quality of the pixels captured. Usability though..the D3x wins

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guy, I've been using my x happily since early December. I didn't pay any attention to all of the negative hype from the whiners who did not own one - I just bought the camera and took pictures - my P-45+ has been sitting on the shelf gathering dust ever since...By the way, while I have been using this system a lot with really long glass for wildlife, files from the Zeiss lenses look really good, and I've always been a Zeiss fanboy as you know...

Post Thanks / Like

Hello boys,
    we all know that I sold my Hy6/75LV kit,and got myself a D3x.
    I couldn't be happier.
    The Nikon has much better shadow control compared to the Sinar.
    Coming from MFDB the price of the D3x was cheap.
    People forget that the Canon 1ds3 is priced similar to the D3x.
    I've used the 1ds3,5D2 and I prefer the Nikon.
    Best,
    Willem.

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    I own Nikon D3X
    But I dunno what to report in here....
    this camera basically identical to Nikon D3, I can only tell the different at MP only.
    To be honest, when I'm using this camera, I fell like using my old D3
    Does this mean that you prefer the A900?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rethmeier View Post
    The Nikon has much better shadow control compared to the Sinar.
    Wow, that's interesting... I find I have *significantly* more total DR out of my MF back than any DSLR file I've played with, including the 1Ds3, D3x and A900, given each is properly exposed to begin with.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I got my D3x two days ago. This is my first Nikon because I was a Canon shooter before. I sold my 5D and were looking at 5D mkII but then switched my mind to Nikon D3x. Partially because of lenses (12-24 and Zeiss primes).

No regrets now, I love the camera!

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures man, pictures!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone confirm the shooting frame rates on the D3x.

Nikon advertises 5 FPS on full frame. Does it slow down when you go from 12 bit to 14 bit? ( The D300 frame rate went way down doing this. The D3 had no change in frame rate. )

Thanks,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    Can anyone confirm the shooting frame rates on the D3x.

Nikon advertises 5 FPS on full frame. Does it slow down when you go from 12 bit to 14 bit? ( The D300 frame rate went way down doing this. The D3 had no change in frame rate. )

Thanks,

Ray
    Nikon only gives their max #. In the dpreview tests, Phil found that it starts at 2fps, and drops to 1.1 fps when the buffer fills

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3x/page13.asp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    Nikon only gives their max #. In the dpreview tests, Phil found that it starts at 2fps, and drops to 1.1 fps when the buffer fills

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3x/page13.asp
    It's not quite clear from Nikon why the frame rate drops so much in 14-bit mode. Apparently DR really improves, so people have speculated that the sensor is read multiple times and averaged to reduce noise, or somehow read with the A/D converter at different levels to get deeper into shadows. No hard facts though.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Pictures man, pictures!
    Here you go (all taken with 24-70/2.8):

Red Square, Moscow - ISO 640, 1/20s, F/2.8:

ISO 140, 1/25s, F/2.8:

ISO 100, 1/640s, F/5.6:

Tha camera is a joy!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim & Lars,

Thanks,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Alex. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alex, that first one is an amazing composition

Post Thanks / Like

One from me
    I don't understand this sign, if Anyone understand it, please translate it for me
    thx u.

Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|