The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NX2...any good?

Marc Wilson

Hi all,

I have been using the following workflow for shooting and processing my Interior / Architectural Raw files.
Shoot Raw (canon files) tethered using Canon DPP.
Take RAW files through dxo optics to correct only lens corrections only outputting as dng files.
Open DNG files and fully process through lightroom and then output as Tiffs for final photoshop touch up.

All DAM is done using other programmes so I'm not worried about those features.

I'm about to start shooting Nikon and am wondering about NX2. I will try out the trial version but thought I'd get a head start here.
I have read it has built in lens corrections so am wondering can it take the place of DXO Optics and Lightroom to adjust for lens corrections and raw process in the one piece of software?
And also, does it contain a tethered capture prgramme (camera control) or do I need a seperate programme for that...camera control pro I believe?

Thanks,

Marc

DavidL

I find it gives better results than ARC in PS. It can be made quicker see the following thread
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=28536598
I don't like Lightroom which doesn't mean it isn't any good it's just me probably. However it uses the same RAW converter as PS so results may not be as good.
NX does correct lenses, but I don't think all lenses.
NX2 is based more around a file viewer than NX1 was. I'm not sure if I am too impressed about that.

re remote capture, I'm afraid you have to pay a load more for Capture Control, which I think is a rip off. So I've given it a miss
David

bubuli

IMO, Capture NX is heads and shoulders above any popular converters for Nikon NEF files, including Lightroom and Aperture. however, its UI is horrendously slow even in beefy machines.

I think it works best as a supplement to Lightroom or Aperture. I really wish NX is available as a Lightroom/Aperture plugin rather than a standalone converter.

Marc Wilson

Well i've taken a look at nx2 now..and am leaving it well alone.

I've also used camera control for a tethered shoot and found it to be very very very slow. So much slower then similar sized canon files with the canon caprure programme.
Are there any alternatives to it for tethered nikon shooting...I know I can hot folder from lightroom but all I need is a small quick programme that shows me good quick and high quality (zoomed in also) previews on screen and a histogram.

Thanks.

etrigan63

Well i've taken a look at nx2 now..and am leaving it well alone.

I've also used camera control for a tethered shoot and found it to be very very very slow. So much slower then similar sized canon files with the canon caprure programme.
Are there any alternatives to it for tethered nikon shooting...I know I can hot folder from lightroom but all I need is a small quick programme that shows me good quick and high quality (zoomed in also) previews on screen and a histogram.

Thanks.
NikonRumors recently posted a bit about an iPhone interface to Nikon cameras for tethered shooting.

M

mkawa

nikon released an sdk at some point, so there are a couple of free or open source applications in the works. i haven't tried it yet, but the most publicized as far as i know is nikon control:

http://stefan.hafeneger.name/2009/02/18/nikon-control-beta-1/

mac-only.

except for the actual raw converter, NX2 is horrendous. RPP (raw photo processor) can supposedly be made to pull as much or more quality than NX2 out of a NEF, but i haven't figured out how yet. ACR (via lightroom, usually) gives decent results as long as you use the camera specific profiles.

woodyspedden

marc

I used (was abused!LOL) NX2 for awhile and although the processing worked well i.e. the files looked really good you would have to be a black belt masochist to use it.

On the other hand Capture 1 does a really fine job with NEF files and since you are needing to use it for your 24 Lux you may want to think about commiting to it for all but your 3FR files. Obviously the more you use C1 and master its nuances the better off you will be for the bulk of your files.

Woody