The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

60MP Nikon Z?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So apparently Nikon is going to release a new Z(8) with the Sony 60MP sensor. But at the same time, I read that many Sony users are not all that enamored with this sensor, so it makes me wonder about Nikon using it. Historically Nikon has managed to work some magic with Sony sensors that Sony could not, so maybe we'll get lucky? Interesting times for sure... On the upside, the new camera is reported to have dual card slots -- adding an SD back-up slot, of course AFTER I sold off all my high capacity SD cards LOL! Oh well. My guess though, is I'll be adding a second Z7 to my bag as the price plummets, as 45MP is already more than I need...

Dustbak

I would be really tempted. I already have a Z6, so I am covered with a lower res body already. 60MP is nice but I also reckon Nikon will introduce some more improvements over the Z6/7 as well.

Anyway, time will tell. Meanwhile I am really happy with the Z6 and Z lenses (if only they would come up with a 70-200/4....)

Darin Marcus

Let’s hope they can pull it off.

Canon has just announced they closed some of their offices and plants in Japan due to the evolving virus situation (the news is on the Canon Japan website). Could Nikon announce something similar shortly?

I am still waiting for the Z 70-200mm f/2.8 S...

But yeah, Thom Hogan has also briefly stated recently that he is not “entirely loving” the more pixels in the Sony MK4...

tcdeveau

I'd rather see Nikon come out with a Sony A9 equivalent personally. I'm sure there are folks out there that would love a 60mp Z, and it would make for some cheap second hand Z7s :)

I've seen mixed opinions of the A7RIV personally. Shrug.

JohnBrew

I don’t even care anymore. The big boys can play the mp race if they wish, there will not be any increase in image quality until someone comes up with a new sensor technology.
All the justifications by manufacturers are strictly hype. Time to get off the merry-go-round.

Swissblad

I don’t even care anymore. The big boys can play the mp race if they wish, there will not be any increase in image quality until someone comes up with a new sensor technology.
All the justifications by manufacturers are strictly hype. Time to get off the merry-go-round.
:thumbs:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree John. At a certain point, these cameras do far more than I actually need. I suspect the Z6 would have been fine for 98% of my needs; and the Z7 exceeds that -- but was whatever gain I think I got even worth the delta in cost? Doubtful. OTOH, the newer Z lenses seem to be able to render better than the native Z6 resolution with a few close to the Z7. But I can't see how more here will be significantly better. I was going to grab a second Z7 body just because -- but now I can look forward to a bargain copy when the Z8 is released :)